Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rouen, No 8 general Hospital

Kathie

Matron Kate Roscoe nursed dyring Joe Pattison of the South African Infantry at No 8 general hosptial in Rouen in October 1916. I have been to visit Joe but would like to visit the hospital.

does anyone know where in Rouen - I assume on the St Sever side- it is. Who ran it, ie which natiion; what doctors and anything else much appreciatged.

Kathie

Kathie

No.8 General Hospital was a tented and hutted British military hospital in the north of the town - unusual, as it was the only one of the British military hospitals not on the Racecourse farther south (although there were Red Cross Hospitals in the vicinity). Nothing of it remains, and the site now eaten up with modern development. I have a contemporary sketch map found in a file at The National Archives which shows its rough position (very rough!). If you would like a copy, let me have an email address and I'll send it. With reference to Miss Roscoe:

Kate Roscoe was born in Stockport, Cheshire, on August 26th 1875. She was educated at Miss Cross’s School, Newlands, Heaton Chapel, Manchester, and trained as a nurse at Crumpsall Workhouse Infirmary, Manchester, from September 1900 until September 1903.

She was appointed as a Staff Nurse in Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service on May 8th 1905 at the age of 30, giving her father’s occupation at that time as that of ‘cashier’, and her first posting was to the Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley. She went overseas in April 1907 to the Military Hospital, Alexandria, and after promotion to Sister in June 1908, she was transferred to the Military Hospital, Cairo. At the outbreak of war she was back in England, working as a Sister at the Military Hospital, Cosham, Portsmouth.

She was mentioned in the despatches of Sir John French in January 1916 for gallant and distinguished service in the field, and received the Royal Red Cross in the New Year Honours of January 1917. Much of her wartime service was as Matron of No.8 General Hospital, Rouen.

Sue

The Rouen No 8 General Hospital must have been a major hospital during the Great War and was in existence as a military hospital from 16 August 1914 until May 1919.

It was also known as the Sick Sisters Hospital and was situated in the suberb of Bois Guillaume,on the north bank of the Seine on 28,Route de Neufchatel which heads north out of the city.

Regarding navigation to the place,it is far removed from St Severs which is on the south bank of the Seine.

Heading north from the Place Carnot on the south bank,cross the Pont Corneille which connects the Ile Lacroix to the south and north banks.Continue heading north throughout,the road then becomes the Rue de la Republique which passes the St Ouen Eglise on the right.At the eglise,the road becomes the Rue de Louis Ricard and continues to Beauvosine to meet the Boulevard de l'Yser dual carriageway.Continuing straight across is the Route de Neufchatel which used to be the main road north but has now been bypassed by the A28 autoroute and has been renamed as the D 928.

Coming from the north on the A 28 Autoroute from Abbeville etc, there is a much quieter drive into Rouen by using the D 928 which runs parallel to the A28 and accessing it by getting off the A28 at the No 12 Access/Interchange.

• 1 year later...

Hi Sue and Frank

This post was some time ago so I hope you are still 'out there' on the Forum.

My wife's Great-Uncle, Lt Leo McCartin MC, 22nd Battalion AIF was wounded in Lavieville on 24 April 1918 and went via 6AFA and 20CCS to 8 General Hospital, Rouen. The info that you have both given in your posts more than answers my questions. But I was wondering whether you have any photographs of the Hospital?? - Sue mentions a map. if its still available could I beg a copy via email to paulhickey3[AT]bigpond.com.

Thanks

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sue and anyone else who could help.

I've just discovered an ancestor who was a sister in 8 Gen Hosp right from the start in 1914 to 1919. This is very exciting to me as she was in the Reserve, and as I am a QA reserve sister, too, I am keen to find out anything I can about her. I have her medal card and now want to find her service records. Despite being well up to speed with RAMC records (as I am unit historian for my TA unit) I find I am lacking in knowledge re. QA records. I have yet to search the RCN records but am I right in thinking QA records are still available in the National Archives? I cannot find them on Documents Online so I presume they will have to be searched for in person? If anyone has info, her name was Helen Octavia Driver, b. 1880 in Suffolk.

Kind regards

Elaine

Elaine

Helen Driver was trained at St. Thomas' Hospital between 1909 and 1913 (so the best of the best). I have a copy here of the General Nursing Council (England and Wales) for 1928, and at that time her permanent address is given as:

123 South Grove Street, Ypsilanti, Michigan, USA.

She has a service file at The National Archives, ref: WO399/2360 - not online. I should be there over the next couple of weeks, and will get it out and photograph it for you.

Sue

Elaine

Helen Driver was trained at St. Thomas' Hospital between 1909 and 1913 (so the best of the best). I have a copy here of the General Nursing Council (England and Wales) for 1928, and at that time her permanent address is given as:

123 South Grove Street, Ypsilanti, Michigan, USA.

She has a service file at The National Archives, ref: WO399/2360 - not online. I should be there over the next couple of weeks, and will get it out and photograph it for you.

Sue

Thank you very much, Sue. The address fits in with the family who all (apart from one sister) emigrated to the US from the late 1880s right up to 1920, when she herself went out (and eventually married her uncle by marriage, 20 years her senior!) She was a teacher before beginning her nursing career, as were most of her family, and I have her at St Thomas' in the 1911 census. I have "borrowed" a wonderful picture of her in uniform from another family tree. You cannot imagine my excitement at finding her, albeit a distant cousin but I knew I had to have had someone in my tree in the service somewhere!

Can you tell me, are QA/TFNS service records complete or were they also damaged in the disastrous bombing during WW2? It pains me to think of all the information that was lost in that one act, and for me, researching my unit's ancestry, it could have been such a goldmine! I will be so grateful if you could photo the record in question as although a visit to Kew is a priority for me for other things, I won't be able to go any time soon!

Elaine

Can you tell me, are QA/TFNS service records complete or were they also damaged in the disastrous bombing during WW2? It pains me to think of all the information that was lost in that one act, and for me, researching my unit's ancestry, it could have been such a goldmine! I

Elaine

It's the good news and the bad news I think! About three-quarters of the nurses' service files remain. They were not affected by the bombing during the Blitz, but between about 1931 and 1933 they were 'weeded.' Some of the correspondence was removed, and at that stage some files were destroyed if it was considered that the women were unlikely to serve again. So those that are now 'missing' are mainly those for women who were at the time of 'weeding':

Over retirement age for further service

Known to have died following discharge of causes not attributable to their service, and had no pension of any sort.

Women who later went on to serve during WW2 and whose files were re-activated and are now with the Ministry of Defence.

And a few that have been mis-catalogued as well which come to light from time to time.

Another problem with the TFNS files is that almost all of the nurses went through their initial application and appointment process locally rather than centrally. Their application forms, with so much information, were then retained locally and never found their way into their files. The files are otherwise the same as for QAIMNS, but those applications are so useful, and rarely found in TFNS files. You can check the WO399 index by a search of the National Archive's Catalogue, and get a fair idea of who is there and who isn't, unless they have very common surnames.

Sue

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Elaine

I photographed Helen Driver's file, and did send you a forum email about the images, but perhaps you didn't receive it. Let me have an email address (via the forum or my website) and I'll get them to you.

Regards --- Sue

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hello brm

Only just found your posting of earlier this year and am thrilled with the photos. Has inspired me to really look up AWM material.

Thanks so much

Kathie

• 2 years later...

I am researching Jessie Traill, an Australian woman who joined British St John's as VAD, trained at Gifford House in early 1915 and was sent out on active service in July 1915 to No. 8 General Hospital in Rouen, first on the racecourse in tents and then in Bois Guillaume north of the Seine. She served there until February 1919. I am presently transcribing her diary held in State Library of Victoria Melbourne, Australia where she talks of her life and experiences. She mentions many other nurses & VADs but mostly with surname initial followed by a dash. During her time in Rouen she spent some time in the Sick Sister's Hospital with the measles and as a seconded VAD. Jessie took some wonderful photographs of No. 8 & Sick Sisters hospitals. I have copies but cannot post due to copyright. The photos are with Jessie's papers in SLVic but haven't been digitised yet. Jessie was a an artist and is best known for her etchings. The National Gallery of Australia held an exhibition of her work in 2013. Because Jessie could speak fluent French she connected with local people at Rouen and got to know refugees who had fled from occupied villages to the west and south. After the war she raised money to support the village of Feuchy, west of Arras. She visited devastated areas of France again in 1920s and wrote about her experiences. I will be including many extracts from her writings in the biography of her life on which I am working at present.

If anyone has information about life at No. 8 GH I would be interested to hear. I will put some information on the Rouen topic too, regards, Jo

• 3 months later...

Welcome to the forum, Jo. I'm sorry I've only just noticed this post in looking for an image of the 8th General Hospital. The diary sounds interesting. Does Jessie Traill mention individual patients?

I ask because I have been researching a man whose name is on the Ascham Memorial Arch in Eastbourne, who died in this hospital on 15 November 1918 after being wounded on about 5 November. His mother corresponded with the Matron after his death. I haven't noted down the name of the Matron and don't think it was on his file, the correspondence being with the War Office and simply referring to 'the Matron' and 'the surgeon'.

I have no photo of him (the only one out of 51 men) and I had thought of using a picture of the hospital. You say you can't post photographs because of copyright - is it possible to let me have details of how to obtain one? Are they in the State Library of Victoria? I have dealt with them before. The AWM links above don't appear to work any more but I guess the AWM would be another option to try.

EDIT Just found this site:

http://www.greyandscarlet.com/no8-general-hospital-rouen.html

Liz

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately Jessie didn't mention names of soldiers. Even with other staff she mostly only used first initials of surnames. I will email you some images of No. 8 General Hospital and details of State Library Victoria. AWM have changed their site since the links above but a new search should work.

Thanks for the link to the Grey & scarlet site. There are some photos on it which are the same as Jessie's and Allen is one of the people she does mention by name. I have emailed Helen at this site about L.Allen but if anyone knows any more about her or other VADS or nurses who worked at No. 8 GH Rouen I would be interested to hear. Jessie was good friends with Mrs Bell Robertson from Alnwick Northumberland, England who she met in Rouen.

thanks, Jo

• 1 year later...

Hello

For those interested in General Hospital N°8 , it still exists 

It is in Bois Guillaume, (76230). entrance is now , avenue du Maréchal Juin, no longer Route de Neufchatel

The buildings that existed during WW1 are allmost the same as they were

It is still a hospital (migth be closed in the near future) and the garden is open to public all day long including week end.

The chapel is still in place.

On google it is at:

49°27'57.79" N

01°07'01.86"E

If you want more info, may be I can help as I live close by

Thanks very much for this information and offer. I think I shall be using a photo of the hospital as it was, but might you be able to take a photo of the WW1 buildings that still survive?  It would be interesting to see, at least.

Liz

• 4 months later...

Jo

I'm also interested in Jessie Traill. You mention transcribing her diaries. Do her diaries continue after the war? Does she mention Nora Gurdon another Australian artist who served as a VAD during the war?  Have you published her biography yet. I realise I'm joining this conversation rather later on than when you first wrote your entry.

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions...

Many thanks for your help.

Anne

• 10 months later...
On 10/11/2016 at 00:38, billiard-duchesne said:

Hello

For those interested in General Hospital N°8 , it still exists 

It is in Bois Guillaume, (76230). entrance is now , avenue du Maréchal Juin, no longer Route de Neufchatel

The buildings that existed during WW1 are allmost the same as they were

It is still a hospital (migth be closed in the near future) and the garden is open to public all day long including week end.

The chapel is still in place.

On google it is at:

49°27'57.79" N

01°07'01.86"E

If you want more info, may be I can help as I live close by

This was VERY helpful indeed, as I live in the United States and would not have known where to start.  I have my grandfather's service record as well as the regimental diary of his unit.  I found that when he suffered a gun shot wound on 8th May 1915 at Shell Trap Farm (renamed Mouse Trap Farm) outside Ieper (Ypres), he was sent to Rouen, but it was listed No. 8 G.H., which means he was actually in Bois-Guillaume.  I am trying to plan a trip for Summer 2019 in which I retrace his steps as much as possible and visit the places where he was during the war.

Merci!

Diane

• 4 years later...

Hello, my great uncle Lionel Franks was nursed in No.8 General Hospital, following injuries sustained at Arras in 1917.  His wounds were very serious and he sadly died.  Lionel was a second lieutenant, aged just 19.

Does anyone know how to access the treatment records during his time at the hospital?

Many thanks, Jon Livingstone   

I've just looked and not seen anything for him. Assuming he's East Yorkshire Regt. Died 5/5/17?

Nothing in MH106 admissions and discharges. Reported wounded in casualty list of 23/4/17.

TEW

Hello, my great uncle Lionel Franks was nursed in No.8 General Hospital, following injuries sustained at Arras in 1917.  His wounds were very serious and he sadly died.  Lionel was a second lieutenant, aged just 19.

Does anyone know how to access the treatment records during his time at the hospital?

Many thanks, Jon Livingstone   

TEW,

Yes. that is correct.  Lionel died 5 May 1917.  He was commissioned in the 4th Battalion of the East Yorkshire Regiment and at Arras was serving with the 8th Battalion. 

Lionel was seriously injured at Arras 10 April 1917, with gun shot wounds to both legs and his right arm; possibly around Feuchy Chapel, in the direction of Monchy-le-Preux.  He had been in France for three weeks.

He died on 5 May.  His parents had travelled to France to be with him.

Would there be any other possible lines of enquiry?

Many thanks,  Jon