Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WALTER GAWTHORPE, EAST YORKSHIRE/LANCASHIRE FUSILIERS, KIA AUGUST 18th

EAST YORKSHIRE

2 hours ago, Neil M said:

Thank you very much for the concise response, it is very interesting.

You are most welcome - I do think better understanding what you are reading makes it even more interesting.

2 hours ago, Neil M said:

Am I reading this correctly that the cause of death was 'Shrapnel' (hand writing isn't very clear).

It is a bit clearer on an enlarged image = K in A, France [sorry, actual cause of death is not identified on the pension card]

M

16 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

This raises the question as to what had happened to his widow, had she remarried [and lost her pension] or had she died before then?

There is a Margaret Gawthorpe marrying a Lawrence King in Hull in 1935, also co-registered as a Margaret McKinley:

Marriages Mar 1935   (>99%)
Gawthorpe  Margaret  King  Hull  9d 472  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
King  Lawrence  McKinley  Hull  9d 472  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to viewAdditional information available - click to view
King  Lawrence  Gawthorpe  Hull  9d 472  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to viewAdditional information available - click to view
McKinley  Margaret  King  Hull  9d 472

and one dying, also in Hull in 1959.

Deaths Mar 1959   (>99%)
GAWTHORPE  Margaret  67  Hull  2a 289  

Whether the latter is the correct Margaret, I can't tell from these indexes, but neither record explains a dead pension claim in 1932.

There are no good matches for a Margaret King death in the area up to 1993, nor any Margaret McKinley.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

6 hours ago, Neil M said:

Thank you very much for the concise response, it is very interesting.  Am I reading this correctly that the cause of death was 'Shrapnel' (hand writing isn't very clear).

Matlock! Only just seen your post from just recently AND Sadbrewer from 2020, I am on this forum most days but never noticed these posts. I will ring to find out but I assume Neil is my cousin who goes to France with me every year to see Walter! Just came back in May. Thankyou for this info, Ian.

4 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

There is a Margaret Gawthorpe marrying a Lawrence King in Hull in 1935, also co-registered as a Margaret McKinley:

Gawthorpe  Margaret  King  Hull  9d 472  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
King  Lawrence  McKinley  Hull  9d 472  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to viewAdditional information available - click to view
King  Lawrence  Gawthorpe  Hull  9d 472  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to viewAdditional information available - click to view

Deaths Mar 1959   (>99%)

Whether the latter is the correct Margaret, I can't tell from these indexes, but neither record explains a dead pension claim in 1932.

There are no good matches for a Margaret King death in the area up to 1993, nor any Margaret McKinley.

Hello Dai , thanks for the reply, we do have quite a bit of info but all the help of you lads makes thing a lot clearer, thankyou,Ian

On 21/07/2022 at 18:21, EAST YORKSHIRE said:

Matlock! Only just seen your post from just recently AND Sadbrewer from 2020, I am on this forum most days but never noticed these posts. I will ring to find out but I assume Neil is my cousin who goes to France with me every year to see Walter! Just came back in May. Thankyou for this info, Ian.

Walter was in the casualty lists as an E Yorks.

Screenshot_20220722-212017.jpg

On 21/07/2022 at 13:51, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Deaths Mar 1959   (>99%)

This might fit the bill....from 1944.

Screenshot_20220722-214512.jpg

16 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

This might fit the bill....from 1944.

Screenshot_20220722-214512.jpg

Thanks for this, will speak to Auntie who is researching the family tree, Ian.