Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Skipman

This is a very interesting and informative thread. I would like to thank Mike for starting it - as well as all those who posted images. Here is another addition.

Regards

Wayne

Further question, should have put in the first time. What are the markings on the base are they time or range in yards/feet

indicators.

D

They are seconds -

Mick

I've checked the settings on the fired examples in my collection and they range between 7 and 10 seconds.

Mick

Great photos guys, how do you get them so sharp?

Thanks for the cross section Brimstone. NEAT

Cheers Mike

Mike

For my forum photos I normally use my little Nikon Coolpix 5100. It takes photos at any size up to 12.1 Mb but has a 'small pic' function where you can instantly creat a new copy at under 100k for posting on e-mails and this forum of course. Great technology. It has to be sharp in the first place but that is a matter of focus, shutter speed and good photography.

John

Norman

It looks to me like a Dopp.Z 92 Ig Brlg. n.f or Dopp .Z. 92.n.F (1915 pattern)

Mainly used on 15cm Heavy Field Howitzers.

John

Just for interest this is my type 83 (2) RAL Time and Percussion artillery shell fuse.dated 10/16 and marked 40. Originally from the Somme battlefields France.

Norman

3403593059_f92e29f3fd_b.jpg

While on the subject of Fuze identification, could I please impose on one of the experts to help out with the one shown in post 26 ? It is 6 cm high and has a diameter of 6 cm.

While the markings on the fuze comprise of arabic numerals and script, am I correct in thinking that it was produced under German influence ?

Thanks & regards

Wayne

The same type 83 fuse attached to the top part of the 60 pdr shrapnel shell. This part is riveted to allow it to detach when the fuse activates (see post 33)

Norman

3397699557_c9fcbbf48e_b.jpg

While on the subject of Fuze identification, could I please impose on one of the experts to help out with the one shown in post 26 ? It is 6 cm high and has a diameter of 6 cm.

While the markings on the fuze comprise of arabic numerals and script, am I correct in thinking that it was produced under German influence ?

Thanks & regards

Wayne

Wayne

I've not seen one of these before but it is similar to a German time fuze I've seen a photo of, that was used with gas shells. I don't have a reference to give you the number though.

John

Thanks & regards

Wayne

Possibly German produced for Turkey? I cannot read the Arabic text but it ends with "7.8"

Regards

TonyE

Heres a few that I'm in the process of cleaning - first jet wash to get rid of mud, then soak in white spirit to remove remaining lacquer, then 24 hours in vinegar - then buff on polisher. And no there are no gaines attached and they have all been fired.

Hello John & TonyE !

Many thanks for trying to help. Being a complete novice in weapons, I really appreciate threads like this one. Although I do not have a problem reading the arabic numerals, I am utterly lost with the script and hope to get it translated sooner or later.

Hello Mick !

Looks like you are more than capable of decorating a Christmas tree with all those fuzes !!!

Regards to all

Wayne

Works of art with a singular job which I remind myself constantly. I don't even know how many I have now - those are this years finds from Hawthorn Ridge or Redan Ridge.

Hello Nigel !

I cannot make any promises regards obtaining a translation - but will definately contact you if anything comes out of my attempts.

Regards

Wayne

I cannot make any promises regards obtaining a translation - but will definately contact you if anything comes out of my attempts.

Wayne, couldn't ask, or expect, anymore than that B)

NigelS

Wayne & Nigel,

Your fuzes are Krupp manufactured models for use by the Turks.

Many of these fuzes were brought home as souvenirs from Gallipoli.

The 'V,o' means 7.5,usually 75mm shrapnel shell.

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy

Where is the "V.o" on the fuze in the picture. Apart from the setting increments I can only see "V.^" which is 7.8.

Regards

TonyE

• 1 month later...

I have an special one in my collection. I have big contacts with the Belgian experts for asking information. But they can not help me very much. Its about the Dopp.Z.16. What i know.

- Use for: 10.5 cm FH 98/09, 10.5 cm leFH 16, 15 cm L/40 Feldkanone i.R., 15 cm sFH 02, 15 cm sFH 13, 15 cm K 16, 21 cm Mörser M10 & 21 cm Mörser M16.

- Time: 1,7 km tot 2,1 km

- Method: mechanically without combustible powder.

- Double Effects.

Now i need more information. Who can helps me?

zlzwio.jpg

5a5hg2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For Sniper Snoop

time and percussion fuse without delay

no graduation, the graduation is on the regulator key with distances from 200 to 10.500 m

there was a variant used against balloons

works like a clock l-mechanism,

hope this helps a bit

Cnock