Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flax Cross on Every NZ War Grave

Crunchy

This week I have completed my contribution to this project taking photos in Brighton , Hove, Maresfield and Selmeston in Sussex. I have found it very rewarding, and would encourage other members to help if they can. I just happened to drive past one of the cemeteries I had visited earlier and thought There's one of "my soldiers"

Seems like an excellent project.

I've just requested a list of outstanding cemeteries.

Roy

Hi there Roy,

Believe me it is a great and humbling experience doing this project for the guys that came so far to help us, I have enjoyed doing Yorkshire along with 3 other forum members.

Cheers Roger.

Hi there Roy,

Believe me it is a great and humbling experience doing this project for the guys that came so far to help us, I have enjoyed doing Yorkshire along with 3 other forum members.

Cheers Roger.

Roger

Couldn't agree more. I really had no idea how much this experience would mean - much more really than I can adequately express. We have now finished visiting the cemeteries assigned to us around London and I think with the contribution of other forum members, greater London must be pretty well completed by now. I was recently at the NZ memorial at Hyde Park corner and someone had placed a bunch of New Zealand flax there, harakeke I believe it is called. Until recently I would never have known what it was.

Cheers

Judy

There will be lots in and around Salisbury Plain which I am more than happy to do but I have a feeling that this is growing like topsy. Is anyone prepared to coordinate this effort in UK?

There will be lots in and around Salisbury Plain which I am more than happy to do but I have a feeling that this is growing like topsy. Is anyone prepared to coordinate this effort in UK?

Hi

There is definitely a co-ordinator in UK and it is really well organised. I emailed Dolores Ho as per the original post and she asked the UK co-ordinator to get in touch with me which he promptly he did. Since then he has sent me details of the cemeteries in my area and has mailed to me the correct number of poppies for the casualties he assigned to me. There can be no "doubling up" as it is all recorded by the co-ordinator here.

I am not sure about posting his details here. Someone else may feel it is ok to do so but my suggestion is to contact Dolores and all the information will be forwarded to you.

Cheers

Judy

I would just like to agree with the previous post, I too contacted Dolores who then forwarded my details to Brian Hillman the UK co ordinator and he was very efficient at getting in touch.

I am still in contact with Dolores who is making enough flax crosses for me to take to Bailleul iin May 2010

Hi, just to let everybody know that I've emailed Dolores and would do the New Monkland one for her. It's only a few miles from where I live so no great distance.

• 4 weeks later...

Accompanied by a request for the possibility of a couple more visits a little bit further afield for me (but an easy day return by train) I heard this wonderful news from the UK co-ordinator, Brian

"The NZ Wargraves project is going on apace, and we have most of the graves done in England"

This is wonderful news and I thought all those involved would like an update, if they haven't already heard

Judy

Thats Brilliant news all round, I also did RAAF personnel buried in Yorkshire for an Australian Gentleman aswell.

Cheers Roger.

I'm driving from Manchester to Somerset, Dorset, Hampshire, West Sussex, Wiltshire, Gloucestershire and Warwickshire next weekend.

I've got to say I've loved doing this and travelled with my 8 year old daughter for the first time and been away with my father. Travelled over 2000 miles of roads I'd seen parts of the UK I would never have seen.

Just love it.

I'm driving from Manchester to Somerset, Dorset, Hampshire, West Sussex, Wiltshire, Gloucestershire and Warwickshire next weekend.

I've got to say I've loved doing this and travelled with my 8 year old daughter for the first time and been away with my father. Travelled over 2000 miles of roads I'd seen parts of the UK I would never have seen.

Just love it.

Absolutely outstanding. No other words for it. I have to say I've just loved it too and placing the flax cross with poppy makes it such a journey of commemoration. However your travels make my forthcoming two 7 hour return journeys (by public transport as I don't have a car) seem like nothing at all! Your travels sound very memorable and, like you, I have seen places I would never have seen otherwise and I have learned so much.

Judy

I remember too, those who were born in New Zealand and who served in the forces of another country. I know the project would spread far and wide if it tried to encompass those people born in New Zealand, but I think of my own great great uncle, born in Christchurch New Zealand, served with the New Zealand Mounted Rifles in the Boer War and then the 10th Australian Light Horse in WWI and buried in Cairo War Memorial Cemetery. He is naturally commemorated as an Australian. I personally have come across two others born in New Zealand and served with other forces, so there must be many, many more. I have a NZ flax cross on my wall to remember you all.

Judy

I remember too, those who were born in New Zealand and who served in the forces of another country. I know the project would spread far and wide if it tried to encompass those people born in New Zealand, but I think of my own great great uncle, born in Christchurch New Zealand, served with the New Zealand Mounted Rifles in the Boer War and then the 10th Australian Light Horse in WWI and buried in Cairo War Memorial Cemetery. He is naturally commemorated as an Australian. I personally have come across two others born in New Zealand and served with other forces, so there must be many, many more. I have a NZ flax cross on my wall to remember you all.

Judy

Judy

I agree, my great uncle was born in Greymouth, NZ - served with the 3rd London Regiment and buried in Epehy, France 1918.

It is my wish to have a flax cross placed on his grave. Maybe one day I might be able to do this in person.

Tony

• 1 month later...

Hi to all

An update from Brian today

"We are down to 2 Cemeteries in England now without Volunteers - Margate and Ringwould in Kent.

...... That just leaves about 12 without Volunteers to do in Scotland now that the snow has gone."

There are already volunteers for the last ones in Ireland and Wales.

I heard from Dolores today and she has expressed her deepest gratitude.

cheers

Judy

I will be in the Fort William area the first week in April if that is any help

Joan

I will be in the Fort William area the first week in April if that is any help

Joan

Hi Joan

I think only Dolores or Brian can help with the Scotland locations. He just mentioned those other two in Kent to me but I don't know the other locations. I can actually get to the places in Kent but they are fairly long way and I go by public transport so if someone else is closer that would be great, otherwise I will go in a couple of months. I've been in touch with Dolores about a cemetery in Belgium I am going to in April and have just received 27 crosses - I remember you said you are going to Bailleul.

Judy

Thank you Judy I will contact Brian directly...not sure if he is on this forum but I do have his email somewhere in the depths of my inbox. Enjoy Belguim when you go as you my notice from my sign in name I enjoy Belgium too!!!

best wishes Joan

Judy

I agree, my great uncle was born in Greymouth, NZ - served with the 3rd London Regiment and buried in Epehy, France 1918.

It is my wish to have a flax cross placed on his grave. Maybe one day I might be able to do this in person.

Tony

Hi Tony

Dolores has emailed me that she is more than happy for a flax cross to be placed on the graves of those born in NZ and who served with other forces. I guess it is more of an individual thing rather than part of her larger project. One day I hope to visit Cairo War Memorial cemetery and place a cross for my great great uncle Tom Todd. As I had an extra cross, after I heard from her I went over the road to Bromley cemetery and placed a cross for Samuel Gibbings Hawkes, 27th Battalion, AIF who was born in Dunedin NZ and I sent the photo to Dolores who was pleased to receive it.

I hope you will be able to get to Epehy to place a cross in person. I looked up where it was to see if it was somewhere I could get to, but sadly it is not. However, I will keep it in my book because I never know where my travels are going to take me. If someone else is going to Epehy, I still do have an extra cross I could send with them to place on the grave of your great uncle.

Judy

If it means anything everytime we come across a Kiwi who isn't marked down as belonging to New Zealand we place a cross and send it to Dolores.

Hi Tony

Dolores has emailed me that she is more than happy for a flax cross to be placed on the graves of those born in NZ and who served with other forces. I guess it is more of an individual thing rather than part of her larger project. One day I hope to visit Cairo War Memorial cemetery and place a cross for my great great uncle Tom Todd. As I had an extra cross, after I heard from her I went over the road to Bromley cemetery and placed a cross for Samuel Gibbings Hawkes, 27th Battalion, AIF who was born in Dunedin NZ and I sent the photo to Dolores who was pleased to receive it.

I hope you will be able to get to Epehy to place a cross in person. I looked up where it was to see if it was somewhere I could get to, but sadly it is not. However, I will keep it in my book because I never know where my travels are going to take me. If someone else is going to Epehy, I still do have an extra cross I could send with them to place on the grave of your great uncle.

Judy

Judy

Thank you for your kind offer.

I was recently contacted by John Cubin who will be in the Epehy area this week and has a spare flax cross that he will place on my Great Uncles grave.

I am blown away by such offers and acts of kindness and feel very humble.

Tony

If it means anything everytime we come across a Kiwi who isn't marked down as belonging to New Zealand we place a cross and send it to Dolores.

Les

Thank you - it is appreciated.

Tony

Judy

Thank you for your kind offer.

I was recently contacted by John Cubin who will be in the Epehy area this week and has a spare flax cross that he will place on my Great Uncles grave.

I am blown away by such offers and acts of kindness and feel very humble.

Tony

Tony

This is really great news. I am so pleased John is able to place a flax cross in memory of your Great Uncle.

Judy

Les

Thanks for this info - it is really wonderful to know and I had no idea until Dolores told me last week (well, to be honest I had never asked).

Now I am hoping beyond hope that someone might be going to Cairo War Memorial Cemetery with a flax cross (I can supply one) and could place one on the grave of my great great uncle, Lt Col Tom Todd.

Judy

• 3 weeks later...

Tony, back from France and visit to Epehy. Have photos for you. Please PM me your e-mail address. Files too big for Forum.

John.