Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oakham and Uppingham Schools

jim_davies

I would be very interested in any details of George Hamilton Morgan who was killed in action at Bourlon Wood as a Captain (acting Major) in the 19th Royal Welsh Fuisliers. Thanks.

Following on from Dick Flory's WW2 post:

London Gazette 19-4-1932

YEOMANRY.

Ayrshire—Capt. N. B. Ramsay, M.C., resigns his commn. and retains his rank. 1st Apr. 1932.

----

London Gazette 13-10-1939

Camerons—Capt. Norman Bruce RAMSAY, M.C., late Yeo., to be Capt. 1st Aug. 1939.

----

London Gazette 20-12-1940 (MID)

The names of the undermentioned have been brought to notice in recognition of distinguished services in connection with operations in the field.

March-June, 1940.

THE QUEEN'S OWN CAMERON HIGHLANDERS.

Capt. (a/Maj.) N. B. RAMSAY, M.C.

----

London Gazette 20-4-1944

War Office, 20th April, 1944.

The KING has been graciously pleased to confer "The Efficiency Decoration" upon the following officers of the Territorial Army: —

The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders.

Maj. N. B. Ramsay (34854).

----

Steve.

Steve

You are a star. You have never given up on this and searching L.G. is a special skill in its own right.

It looks as though he was certainly in active service.

It will be excellent if we can be sure that this is 'our' N. B. Ramsay.

Kate

Andrew wrote:

I would be very interested in any details of George Hamilton Morgan who was killed in action at Bourlon Wood as a Captain (acting Major) in the 19th Royal Welsh Fuisliers.

Unfortunately the Uppingham School Roll (various editions) has only the following:

Morgan, George Hamilton, Born Dec 1879, the son of C. R. Morgan of Alfreton. Educated at Uppingham School from Jan 1894 to Dec 1897. Captain, RWF, Killed in action in November 1917.

His son, George Frederick Morgan was born in Jan 1916. He was educated at Uppingham School from September 1929 to 1934 and at Emmanuel College, Cambridge where he received a BS. He then was a solicitor.

Regards. Dick Flory

• 1 month later...

I have on loan the school roll for Uppingham 1900 1972 which shows all the boys that passed through and a little history on each one. Incredible amount of gallantry medals mostly mcs the odd VC and CdG thrown in. Some 440 ex school boys commemerated on the chapel. I am going to do some hard stats on the book and put it together in a document. However if you want any info please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

Unlikley I know, but does your version add anything to what Dick told me about Clement Barrington Furmston (a couple of posts above this one)?

• 5 weeks later...
So grateful to read your contribution about my father, Norman Bruce Ramsay, who died when I was four years old, and knew so little about him as my mother died when I was young too. From your contribution, it led to emails to Kate Carr who I now have regular correspondence and a wealth of knowledge about the 6th, Nothumberland  Fusiliers.

Kind regards Fiona Ramsay

Hi Fiona,

I have just seen that another forum member has some info on your father, his name is Bernard Lewis. Might be worth getting him to post it here or email it to you.

Cheers

Jim

This is the thread

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...20entry327610

• 5 months later...

Jim,

I know that 2/Lt B. A. K. Smith, Rifle Brigade, attended Uppingham School and died on 5th September 1915.

He is commemorated on the Uttoxeter Memorial. His brother Philip died in 1918, was buried in Uttoxeter Cemetery and is also commemorated on the memorial. I am wondering if Philip also attended Uppingham School ?

Regards

David

• 2 months later...

Philip Smith does not appear in the Uppingham School Roll. Dick Flory

Philip Smith does not appear in the Uppingham School Roll. Dick Flory

I don't know if it helps but after our research of the Uttoxeter war memorial I believe the name is Phillip Knight-Smith

His name is given as Philip Arnold Knights-Smith in the Uppingham Register. Born 1896, the son of R. L. Knights-Smith of Shedfield Rectory, Botley, Hants. Entered Uppingham School in September 1910 and left in December 1913. Served in the Great War as a 2nd Lieut, Reserve Regiment of Cavalry. Died on 17 April 1918. Regards. Dick Flory

• 3 years later...

I would be very interested in any details of Geoffrey W Addington who was killed in action near Cambrai and was a Second Lieutenant in the Durham Light Infantry.

Geoffrey William Addington

Born in October 1898, the son of J W Addington, Ford House, St Neots.

Educated at Uppingham School from Sept 1912 to July 1916

During the Great War was a 2nd Lieut, DLI

KIA on 1 Dec 1917

Source: Uppingham School Roll, 1824 to 1931.

Dick Flory

Geoffrey William Addington

Born in October 1898, the son of J W Addington, Ford House, St Neots.

Educated at Uppingham School from Sept 1912 to July 1916

During the Great War was a 2nd Lieut, DLI

KIA on 1 Dec 1917

Source: Uppingham School Roll, 1824 to 1931.

Dick Flory

Thanks very much Dick

Regards

Dave