Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oakham and Uppingham Schools

jim_davies

Happy to do look ups for these two schools:

Oakham School-shows record of service for old Oakhamians and masters.

Gives name, rank, unit, year of entry to school, decorations, theatre served in, wounds etc.

Uppingham School-shows only the schools fallen.

Gives name, rank, unit, cause of death (a'la soldiers died).

Jim

Jim

Thank you for offer of look-ups.

Have you got anything about Norman Bruce Ramsay, Uppingham School Officer Training Corps. - commissioned Jan. 1914?

Particular interest Northumberland Fusiliers T. F. if you happen to notice any others.

Kate

As you were.

I don't think you will find anything because he didn't die (Well I presume he did eventually but not in WW1.)

The Uppingham records are only of the fallen.

Sorry.

Kate

Have you got anything about Norman Bruce Ramsay, Uppingham School Officer Training Corps. - commissioned Jan. 1914?

Norman Bruce Ramsay, Entered Uppingham School in Sept 1910 and left Dec 1913. Born in Feb 1896, the son of N F Ramsay, 131 Osborne Road, Newcastle-on-Tyne. Captain Northumberland Fusiliers, MC, Despatches. Later rose to rank of Lt. Col. and was recipient of a TD. In 1931 his address was: Junior Club, Douglas Street, Glasgow. After war was a stockbroker. In 1947 he lived at 6 Charlotte Square, Newcastle-on-Tyne. Died in Nov 1953.

Sources: Uppingham School Rolls, 1824-1931, 1853-1947, 1888-1960.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick

Excellent. Thank you very, very much.

What is a TD?

Kate

Hi Sandy,

A TD is/was, I presume "Territorial Decoration"

Seems like my roll is only an partial index to what Dick has but have found in the Uppingham Roll:

Edward Noel Mather, 2nd Lt, 6th Northumberland Fusiliers, killed in action, 26 Apr 1915.

I also have a little info on:

Pte Raymond Tom Castle, 56003, 1/5th NF-KIA 10 Apr 1918.

"the youngest son of Mr. & Mrs. Chas Castle of Whissendine. He was born on 1 Dec 1896, and was a junior clerk with Messrs Furley and Hassan, Oakham, up until his enlistment on 31 Mar 1916. He first went into the Highland Light Infantry, but was drafted into the ASC, and went to France on 12 Oct the same year. While there he was attached to the Tyneside Scottish Northumberland Fusiliers. He was killed in action by a shell on 9 Apr 1918 at Armentieres. He was a member of the Whissendine Church Choir from the age of seven up to going into the army."

The above is from a 1920 publication, Rutland and the Great War. It is not 100% accurate, but appears to be the facts as the next of kin knew them.

Raymond is shown as SD as formerly 4788, HLI.

Jim

Jim

Edward Noel Mather is one of the officers who sailed for France with the 6th batt. Northumberland Fusiliers on April 20th 1915, as did Bruce Ramsay.

This is a wonderful help to me.

Private Raymond Castle is not in the Battalion which I am currently compiling but he is of great interest because I know the area round Uppingham and Oakham. Furley & Hassans is or was a very nice department store in the village.

Thank you so much for this information.

kate

• 1 year later...
Guest fionaramsay

I was so surprised to find this site on the internet and find my father, Norman Bruce Ramsay, who died when I was four years old. I would love to know more, my mother died when I was eleven, and was brought up by step-parents. I would welcome any further information - I knew about the the MC ( whereabouts unknown ) , so proud of him but don't date or where. I have been to Kew Gardens Records but found it very confusing. I would welcome any information whatsoever.

Norman Bruce Ramsay, Entered  Uppingham School in Sept 1910 and left Dec 1913.  Born in Feb 1896, the son of N F Ramsay, 131 Osborne Road, Newcastle-on-Tyne.  Captain Northumberland Fusiliers, MC, Despatches. Later rose to rank of Lt. Col. and was recipient of a TD.  In 1931 his address was: Junior Club, Douglas Street, Glasgow.  After war was a stockbroker.  In 1947 he lived at 6 Charlotte Square, Newcastle-on-Tyne.  Died in Nov 1953.

Sources:  Uppingham School Rolls, 1824-1931, 1853-1947, 1888-1960.

Regards.  Dick Flory

Guest fionaramsay

Hello Kate,

I have come across this website by sheer fluke / Google and see questions about my father Norman Bruce Ramsay. I know so little about him; he died when I was 4 and my mother died when I was 11. I would love to know more if possible.

I note the records say he died in 1953 , but I was told 1952, Very proud of his MC but know nothing about the dates etc and where . I would also love to know why the questions came up about my father - I know so little about him. I am his youngest daughter, Fiona, and would welcome a contact. Kind regards Fiona.

Hi Fiona

It is wonderful that you have happened upon this thread on the forum.

I was asking about your father because I have been compiling information about the 6th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers who left England for France on 20th April 1915.

My interest started because my father, Private W. Gibbon, was also with the Battalion at this time. The Battalion went into the battle of St. Julien on April 26th, just 6 days after leaving England and suffered many casualties, killed, wounded and missing.

Capt. Hon. W. Watson Armstrong (7th N. F.) says the following:

'April 26th 1915

---so I crawled for 15 yards over a very dangerous zone and was then helped up and supported by an officer on one side (Lt. Bruce Ramsay) of the 6th Batt. and by a soldier on the other.

I managed to struggle along, supported by them to the ruined farmhouse, which was being defended by some soldiers of the D. C. L. I., I think.

The officer in command told Ramsay that it was against regulations to help me and that he must therefore join his own battalion, while he himself would look after me---

It is satisfactory to note that Lieutenant Bruce Ramsay, who was so instrumental in saving my life, has since been awarded the Military Cross for general good work, and largely, I hear, for the devotion he showed in rescuing me.'

I have attached a photo of your father, not a very clear one I'm afraid.

I do also have some information about Capt. Ramsay's dates of promotion.

Kate

post-2045-1122162645.jpg

And:

His Miltary Cross is mentioned in the London Gazette 14th Jan 1916

and his medal index cards are available to download on the National Archive site. He has 2 cards one under N. B. Ramsay and one under Norman B. Ramsay.

Sorry I am having difficulty with the Gazette site tonight so I can't give you the link.

Perhaps it will have recovered in the morning.

Kate

Guest fionaramsay

Hi Kate,

Thank you so much for writing back so quickly, I have never read so much information about my father at one time I didn't even know he went to Uppingham School - it was a wonderful moment reading what you had to say.

I would be interested to hear if you are in touch with the family of Capt. Hon W.Watson Armstrong - his words about my father is something I will treasure.

I would be very interested to read or purchase the work you are doing - I am now becoming an avid follower of the 6th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers.

I live in France so I intend now to visit St Julien, Ypres.

Kind regards, Fiona Ramsay.

Fiona/Kate.

Here's the link to the London Gazette with Captain Ramsay's Military Cross. No citation in this issue though...

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Two other snippets of info from the London Gazette on Captain Ramsay.

London Gazette 3-1-1917

Northumberland Fus.—Lt. N. B. Ramsay, M.C., to be Capt., with precedence as from 30th Sept. 1916. 4th Jan. 1917.

London Gazette 13-4-1917

Northumberland Fus.—Capt. N. B. Ramsay, M.C., relinquishes his commission on account of ill-health caused by wounds, and is granted the hon. rank of Capt. 23rd Mar. 1917.

Steve

Steve

Yes. I found the relinquished Commission extract in L.G. I have Capt. Ramsay being wounded on 5th Aug. 1915 and then he does not appear in the casualty listings again.

On 5th August 1915 the Battalion was in the area of the Armentieres-Wez Macquart Rd.

5th Aug. 1915

'---ordinary repair work to front trenches done. Chard farm and Leith Walk shelled by short range gun at 3.30p.m., part of CHARD FARM knocked down with the result that parts of Leith Walk, the main communication trench was exposed to the view of the enemy trenches. Otherwise a quiet day.'

This does not sound like the sort of event which could have led to a wounding that led to him having to relinquish his commission in Mar. 1917. There is no mention in the main content of him being wounded.

His promotion to the rank of Capt. with precedence from 30th Sept. 1916 had led me to believe that he was with the battalion at the Somme, although he is not listed among the wounded in the War Diary for 15th Sept. 1916.

Fiona

Capt. Ramsay was attached to 'D' company when they sailed for France.

Capt. H. T. Hunter, also attached to 'D' company, was killed on 26th April.

His brother Capt. G. E. Hunter, 'C' company, was killed on the same day. They are remembered on the Menin Gate.

I will email you separately about the 6th Battalion, Capt. Armstrong, and the events of St. Julien.

Kate

Guest fionaramsay

Thank you Steve / Kate.

Thank you so much for your information. It has become a very emotional day for me - the photo which has already been reproduced is the only one I have of him this young. I am extremely grateful and find the website a wonderful idea and extremely valuable. I only wish I could help others on this site as you have done for me.

When I visit St Julien, is there anything I can do there for anyone reading this.

Kind regards

Could you have a look for my man

Name: NEVINSON, HUMPHREY KAYE BONNEY

Initials: H K B

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 10th Bn.

Date of Death: 05/06/1915

Additional information: Son of Thomas Kaye Bonney Nevinson and Ethel Mary Nevinson, of Medbourne Rectory, Market Harborough.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 158 to 170.

Cemetery: HELLES MEMORIAL    

Apparently he was at Oakham. photos and info gladly welcome!!

My parents are good friends of one of the masters at Uppingham, would anyone be interested in photos of the memorial, my memory is that it is a wonderful design.

The entry for Humphrey Kaye Bonney Nevinson in A Register of Oakham School 1875-1929 gives the following:

Born in 1891 the son of Rev. T K B Nevinson, Lyndon Rectory, Oakham

Attended Oakham School from 1905 to 1909

Before the war was a brewer

Served in Egypt and Gallipoli as a 2nd Lieut. in the 10th Manchesters

Died of wounds in 1915.

Regards. Dick Flory

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fionaramsay
Norman Bruce Ramsay, Entered  Uppingham School in Sept 1910 and left Dec 1913.  Born in Feb 1896, the son of N F Ramsay, 131 Osborne Road, Newcastle-on-Tyne.  Captain Northumberland Fusiliers, MC, Despatches. Later rose to rank of Lt. Col. and was recipient of a TD.  In 1931 his address was: Junior Club, Douglas Street, Glasgow.  After war was a stockbroker.  In 1947 he lived at 6 Charlotte Square, Newcastle-on-Tyne.  Died in Nov 1953.

Regards.  Dick Flory

Guest fionaramsay

Regards.  Dick Flory

So grateful to read your contribution about my father, Norman Bruce Ramsay, who died when I was four years old, and knew so little about him as my mother died when I was young too. From your contribution, it led to emails to Kate Carr who I now have regular correspondence and a wealth of knowledge about the 6th, Nothumberland Fusiliers.

Kind regards Fiona Ramsay

Fiona

It is a very worthwhile outcome that you have found this information about your father with the joint input from Dick, Steve and Jim.

Looking again at the Uppingham entry and the fact that we know he resigned his commission as a Capt. in 1917, I wonder if he served in WW2, he would have been 44 at the start, or as a Territorial Officer between the wars.

More scope for research which is largely outside the remit of this forum.

Kate

The Uppingham School Roll does not mention any WWII service for him but the October 1943 Army List has an N B Ramsay, MC as a Lieut. Colonel, TA in the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. Dick Flory

Had another look for Norman Ramsay's MC Citation. Only found this snippet. Thought it might help, though.

London Gazette 10-3-1916

The Northumberland Fusiliers.

The undermentioned Second Lieutenants (temporary Lieutenants) to be Lieutenants:—

Norman B. Ramsay. Dated 26th May, 1915.

Steve.

Steve - From your searches it looks as though there is no Military Cross citation in the L.G., so it is lucky that Capt. Armstrong has mentioned his actions at St. Julien.

Dick - That looks like him. The Uppingham registers mention that he is living in Glasgow in 1931 and Fiona has also mentioned Edinburgh.

What does TA stand for? Would it be Temporary Acting?

Also, does the 1943 army list consist of all officers, or only those who are currently serving?

Kate