Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My walk from Schratzmännele via Barrenkopf to Kleinkopf

egbert

I believe this is looking up at the bunker from the hamlet of Hohrodberg. (Rock and bunker arrowed.)

3872212982_6fbf6b4da0_o.jpg

My EXIF tells me I took this at 05.30 one morning! I must have been insomniac. I do remember the woods full of cuckoos.

The digital pictures I have of this specific area are 'leisure' photos and probably not relevant to Egbert's thread. My film photos are very much like Egbert's.

Egbert, I'm very much enjoying seeing the juxtaposition of old images and the modern views. Even though I know the area well, it's always good to see it through new eyes. Thank you.

Gwyn

To give a flavour from another perspective:

This is looking up at the area from Munster. The rock and bunker aren't visible in this photo; they're to the left of the arch, in the direction I've arrowed.

3871537985_6d1061f6a1.jpg

And, when in Munster, it's impossible to ignore the storks. The clatter of their beaks as they circle and land on their nests is a constant percussive background. I certainly wouldn't be happy with this parent and child setting up home on my chimney.

3871539469_5124e712f4.jpg

Storks all but disappeared from Alsace but have been reintroduced and are a constant sight in many villages. Munster is seriously over-storked to the point at which they are almost a pest.

Hi Gwyn beautiful Münster picture; and yes no 77 is the correct spot

More photos please, this is fantastic !!!!

Tony

Not from the height of Egbert's photos, although just up the road is a German bunker, two more dawn pictures looking broadly in the direction of Reichackerkopf. It isn't unusual to wake up to see thick mist hanging in the valleys...

3873656673_4319a7371f.jpg

... but it may well burn off within an hour or two.

3874443252_57a797277a.jpg

The summits of Reichackerkopf and Gaschney dominate the Munster valley and were the scene of a massive attack by the Germans in February, 1915 lasting about three months. (Times from memory.) There's still snow on the tops in these May photos - snow made the conditions for the attack even more bitter and hostile.

I have been up there and found it a most desolate, charged place.

Gwyn

This is a panorama picture from Kleinkopf scaled down to 100kB from originally 3 Mb. Hope it comes out and clearly shows the dominating positions of the German forces there. The rock in the foreground is the described "rock-bunker". You also see clearly my next planned walk...........the Reichackerkopf

post-80-1251743900.jpg

Wow!

Yes, indeed. More, please. I'm pleased for Egbert that his threads have generated interest. I've been pottering round in the Vosges with my camera for a couple of decades now, but hesitated to post anything because I thought that there wouldn't be any interest, this not being within the usual orbit of many GWF members. Anyway, Egbert can do the military nomenclature with much more confidence than I can!

Looking forward to the next ascent, Egbert. I did Reichackerkopf last May, but plan to return soon. I'll look out for Chester and Lara. :)

Gwyn

The next one supposed to be this weekend, but weather was not favorable..... In the meantime my German friend, here on GWF known under nom de plum Friedhelm sent me tons of contemporary pictures and audio material from Buchenkopf, Schratzmännele, Barrenkopf and Linge. Maybe I should post some of the dramatic pictures

Maybe I should post some of the dramatic pictures

I think that would be an excellent idea.

The next one supposed to be this weekend, but weather was not favorable..... In the meantime my German friend, here on GWF known under nom de plum Friedhelm sent me tons of contemporary pictures and audio material from Buchenkopf, Schratzmännele, Barrenkopf and Linge. Maybe I should post some of the dramatic pictures

Ready & waiting !!!!!

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

After Egbert's energetic wanderings up in the Vosges, I was inspired to re-visit a few sites last week and see some more. Most of my Barrenkopf pictures are similar to his, but I decided to post a few that may complement the ones he shared.

He mentioned la Courtine, which is one location where the German and French trenches are 15 metres apart. I went at dusk, and what is known as the blue line of the Vosges is very atmospheric at this time of day.

A wide-angle shot taken from the French lines looking backwards towards Glasborn. The disturbed land is very noticeable.

3968116857_9b7c09a737.jpg

Closer.

3968115539_49d5337bc1_o.jpg

I'm standing in the French trench. The Germans were where the arrow is.

3968890062_1f31905490.jpg

I'm now standing in the German trench. The French trench is arrowed.

3968117399_4639a84108.jpg

The battlefields in use. This handsome chap is helpfully marking the French line. I'm standing adjacent to the German position.

3968115039_c0c07c3d41.jpg

Some French casualties were taken to the hospital at Lac Noir. It survives:

3968893702_ce6bd61c22.jpg

and

3968120817_8c266c8874.jpg

Seen in a contemporary photograph:

3968892082_5792b1abb3_o.jpg

It's a couple of hundred metres to the left of the auberge seen here:

3968891652_5fe98d3a78_o.jpg

The hospital is almost centre picture in the forest.

... as it is today:

3968892948_d7daa16d14.jpg

Sorry about the cars; I wanted to show the lake, barrage and wall. Actually if you go there, the auberge does rather nice local food. They allowed me to copy this Grande Guerre postcard.

3968945204_69115f230a.jpg

Forget work....families....food.....

Just keep posting more pics on this fascinating thread!

:lol:

Bruce

Hello, welcome back from the Vosges Gwyn; most beautiful shots!

Do you have by chance a modern time photo of the bunkers at road Hohrodberg-Bärenstall from the eastern slope of Barrenkopf/Kleinkopf complementing this contemporary picture

post-80-1254332222.jpg

No, because they were doing forestry work adjacent to the road, so even though I must have been past the remains of those bunkers about 20 times last week, it wasn't a good time to stop.

Except at night...... and there was no way I was getting out of the car in the dead of night in a forest where so much evil happened.

Snow and other things permitting, I'll try in December. Brilliant image, though - thanks.

I did Schratzmännele too, sort of by accident (one thing led to another...) and also about 10 km on Reichackerkopf (on purpose).

The French youths yomping round the memorial opposite le Linge seriously hacked me off. Their behaviour was terrible and the teachers were completely ineffectual. British teachers would have done something about them.

Gwyn