Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fears for bodies of the fallen Fromelles diggers

dendonedid

There is too much speculation and hot air in this thread. It would be as well if posts were limited to statements for which posters had evidence. I have none, and therefore won't comment.

Keith

The voice of reason!

May I explain that I have edited several posts above following unfounded allegations by 'Bertie Coley' that have no place on this forum. I apologise to subsequent posters whom I had to edit as a consequence of jumping to the defence of those accused of certain 'behaviours'. Had I not done so it would have been fairly easy to work out the nature of the allegations. I hope you will not be offended by my actions in this regard.

It would have been much easier (and half an hour quicker) to have closed this thread, which would have been a shame. However if any member repeats unfounded allegations or throws new and unecessary speculation into the thread then closure may well be the only course of action open to us, along with action against the member concerned. If it happens and we appear slow in responding it may simply be because we've missed it, so feel free to use the 'report' button if it's needed.

Without getting involved in the discussion about username/anonymity (there are other places this can be discussed), could I say that Andrew seems to have done a damned fine Modding job: I was alerted to this thread by another member, but by the time I arrived it had been cleared up, and in such a way that the meat of the discussion wasn't affected.

Well done, Mr Hesketh, I say.

I would like to thank Andrew for the editing task he undertook. We lost a minimum of useful contribution. I think the person who caused it may have been hoping for a removal or at least a closure of the thread. Keeping it open is much the best option and I appreciate that it was not the easiest one. Ta, again.

Andrew,

May I add my voice of support and thanks for your actions. IMHO, the unfounded allegations have no place on the Forum and as such they (and the responses) were rightly removed.

Thanks,

Ian.

Phew!! I came back to have a look and saw the big 'EDIT' in my post. I immediately had heart failure and thought I must've breached the rules in some way. Fortunately I then noticed all the other posts with the same thing and realised what had happened.

I'm only disappointed that I didn't get to read what everyone posted after me!! ;) Why can't you Brits catch up with us so we can check these things out before they're edited.

Nevertheless, good job of modding Andrew and very kind of you to keep this thread alive rather than closing it.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Andy.Thanks for the edit.I lost net access today & it took a while to remember what rubbish I had posted last night.I wanted to,as usual,remove my own gubbins but,thanks for that.

Dave.

Many thanks for the supportive comments chaps, they are appreciated, but almost a page has gone by since the 'unfortunate' intervention and I think this thread can get back to business now.

Ta.

i apologize to all members of the forum for mentioning names it will not happen again. i did not mean to cause any offence to anyone alive or dead.my name is my family name and i dont need to hide behind any other bertie coley buckley died in the battle at langermark and we visit three times a year to pay our respects to him and all the fallen of ww1

i hope sorry is enough and the matter can end now

Bertie,

Where you made a mistake was by alleging 'sensitive' things as fact without having any evidence to support your claims. I'm not going to revisit the issues but suggest in future that, with regard to comments of that nature, you at least have some proof of what you say before actually saying anything.

Otherwise apology accepted.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Bertie - you made an error which I pointed out to you personally, and Tim has repeated more eloquently. But fair play, you have publicly apologised and given assurances of no repeat. Not everyone would have been brave enough to do that, so apology accepted on behalf of the trustees.

Let's move on now shall we?