Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Welsh Guards Loos 27/9/15

welshdoc

Wow, what a photo. There are several candidates, but I just can't figure out which one. The photo I have of him is a bit blury.

If he's there, he was killed three months later.

• 10 months later...
Guest Edwin George Mawby

My wife's Great Uncle was Lieutenant Edwin George Mawby who is mentioned in the report earlier in this thread.Do you know if he is pictured in the group photo? We are still finding out more about her Father's close relatives. Unfortunately we have no photos of him.I came across this website and can also see his name on a previous picture of a Memorial to the Welsh Guards sent by in

by BeckyM. The Mawby family originate from Lincolnshire , Edwin George attended Framlingham School in Suffolk and qualified as a solicitor joining the Westminster Dragoon Guards and then the Welsh Guards. We understand from his school that he wrote a manual on bayonet exercise which was widely used in the training of the New Armies (Kitcheners Men )

Like so many others he was killed 27th September 1915 age 36.

• 4 weeks later...

Edwin,

There was a photograph taken of the Welsh Guards officers' mess prior to their embarkation in 1915:

1st Bn Welsh Guards Officers' Mess Pre-embarkation 1915

In this, Lt Mawby is the second man from the right in the third row, next to the Quartermaster (who couldn't look more like a QM if he tried). He mistakenly named as 'Lieut. E G Mowbray' but is surely your man.

A friend of mine has a good quality copy of this photo framed in his house - I believe he got it through ebay. I'll ask him this evening and let you know.

- brummell

Edwin,

The print is currently available on ebay - a search for 'officers of the welsh guards named' will bring it up.

Also, having checked Dudley Ward's History of the Welsh Guards, I can confirm that the 'Mowbray' in the photo legend is a misprint; there was no 'Mowbray' serving in the battalion at the time.

- brummell

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Edwin George Mawby

Hello brummell,

Thank you so much for the information, at last a face to the family name. We will check out the e-bay link you mention.

Kind regards,

edwin.