Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Metropolitan Police Great War Memorial

cockney tone

Ladies & Gents,

Pals,

A friend of mine has just brought to my attention a memorial to the 345 officers of the Metropolitan Police who were killed in the Great War. The memorial is now in the vicinity of the Old Cadet School at Hendon, North London and I assume has only fairly recently been moved there, possibly for safe keeping? Any information on this would be welcomed, plus if anybody knows where i can get a list of the 345 men I would be obliged. (I have the details of those on the Menin Gate!

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

post-6848-1249422979.jpg

A bit of info on it I found whilst googling:

The Metropolitan Police Orphanage was established in January, 1870 and opened in October of the same year. In 1871 it was extended to include the City of London Police.

The original home was Fortescue House, Twickenham. Within three years, 115 orphans were eligible for accommodation. Clearly the Home was not large enough and in 1874 Wellesley House, Twickenham, was purchased.

In 1923 the War Memorial Hospital was built in the grounds of the Orphanage on subscriptions from the two Forces in memory of their colleagues who fell in the 1914–1918 War.

2,807 boys and girls passed through the Metropolitan and City Police Orphanage before it closed in 1937, and the Metropolitan and City Police Orphans Fund came into being.

regards,

Scottie.

Scottie

I had a look around as well and can't readily spot a list. I would have thought that the Met would have a full list Memorial somewhere?

I was interested to see the list in the Book of Remembrance here

http://www.met.police.uk/history/timeline1910-1929.htm

which includes those killed in air raids and also Lord Kitcheners bodyguard, DS Mathew McLoughlin.

I also see the Flying Squad was formed in 1919. One year after the RAF eh!!

Hywyn

Hywyn,

I have been retired now four years so lost a lot of my old contacts, but as you say there must be a list so I will ring a few old colleagues.

I always thought it sad that apart from the Black Museum at Scotland Yard, which is not open to the general public, the Met does not have a proper Museum. Last I heard was that all potential exhibits were housed in a wharehouse in South London!

Interesting to see that the Sweeney were formed after the RAF! On the odd occasion I worked with them in the late 70's I am sure that some of the founder members where still working for them! :unsure:

Anyway Hywyn congratulations on your 1000th post!

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

Hywyn,

Anyway Hywyn congratulations on your 1000th post!

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

Why, thank you.

That Tank was a place and a half!!!

Hywyn

edit

Many happy memories of the Tank! did you know that they turned it into a gym!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry2:

Just watched a video on the Met Police Orphans site and they showed a clip of a War Memorial with a list of names on, I will give them a bell tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

There are two memorials and they are now in Hendon.

Looks like the link doesn't work.

Google " Metropolitan Police great war memorial"

and the second one down on the list with the heading Layout 1 gives the story of how they lost the Memorials and created new ones etc.

Hywyn

Hywyn,

the link worked for me, thank you for posting it..

A mate of mine is working on a 'Squad' out of Hendon, I will get her to photograph the memorial and have a look at the names.

Good to see that these memorials are now on display and not just gathering dust. Shame they are not on display in the Back Hall at NSY, on my visits there I would always used to stop and pay my respects at the book of rememberance there!

Regards and best wishes.

Scottie.

I'm sure I read in that link that there is a Book of Remembrance in the Westminster Abbey. That may have more details than just names if you intend doing some research. It's a mix of WW1 and WW2 I believe.

Hywyn

• 4 years later...

Hello,

I know this an old Post, but has anyone got the list names on this memorial please. It's a bit of a long shot, but I own two sets of Grenadier Guards casualty medals to men who may have joined the Met for a few years before being re-called in 1914. They are common names though:- Andrew Taylor (he may have joined as Andrew James Taylor) who killed in action 1st November 1914 - he is on the Menin Gate, and James Smith DCM who died of wounds 11th July 1918.

THANK YOU

• 2 years later...

I'd like to bring this thread back to life if I may..................

The reason is I'm trying to research a Met bobby who was killed during WW1, his name was Alfred BARNES warrant number 99279. My information states that he was killed in action on the 19th June 1915, I've searched the CWGC website but can't find him. Can anyone confirm his date of death for me? 

2 hours ago, Laird of Camster said:

I'd like to bring this thread back to life if I may..................

The reason is I'm trying to research a Met bobby who was killed during WW1, his name was Alfred BARNES warrant number 99279. My information states that he was killed in action on the 19th June 1915, I've searched the CWGC website but can't find him. Can anyone confirm his date of death for me? 

Alfred Thomas Barnes, warrant number 99279. Joined on 14 Nov 1910, and left on 19 June 1915. Last posted to K Division as a PC.

Alfred left the police force on 19th June 1915  Here

•  

The war gratuity for 703345 Alfred Thomas Barnes was £13 10s for 29 months service . This would suggest that it may not be the same man June 15 - March 18 would be 34 months service so I think you can probably rule him out (he could be an outside bet but unlikely)

Craig

Hi All

You may already have this:-

Alfred Thomas Barnes b. 1884, Ratcliff.,London was boarding at 66 Etta Street, Deptford SE in 1911 with 2 other Met.PCs..still looking

Regards Barry

According to one tree on Ancestry:-

(It looks as though Alfred survived the war and died in 1968 in Peterborough). His brother Henry (J19019)died  on 31.5.1916 on board  Indefatigable at Jutland. Alfred was one of 9 children. He was born 2nd Oct 1884, Stepney, London..still looking. (...)THIS BIT MAY WELL BE INCORRECT!! The rest of the tree seems to check out OK

Edited by The Inspector

Hi All,

Alfred Thomas Barnes 3728/7105/703345 is recorded as a Clerk on his service papers and his age on 8.11.15 is shown as 22yrs 10mths, therefore born 1892, whereas the Police Constable on the 1911 census is born 1884. So I would say definitely not him. Furthermore 703345 is only 5'6" tall and I think the Met. would have had a minimum height requirement then. 703345 was the son of  Douglas Samuel Barnes and his wife Florence A. E.Barnes. Details on records.....Army Form W5080

I wonder why these details are NOT recorded on the Grave Register?

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

There is a full list of the plod who were killed in the Roll of Honour  contained at the end of the Order of Service in this pdf:

http://www.westminster-abbey.org/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/72522/Metropolitan-Police-1919.pdf

It includes the name of A. Barnes who may be your man.

There is a Lance Corporal Alfred T Barnes 5198 of the 5th Dragoons kia on 13 May 1915 but having had a look at his MIC his date of entry is 15 August 1914 and SDGW has his residence as Ipswich so not likely to be your man.

Well done Mell  

I think you are going to find that the  Alfred Thomas Barnes warrant number 99279. Who left the police force on 19th June 1915 

and the Alfred Thomas Barnes  previously  PC 755 a L/C who was killed in action are two different former Police Constables 

would be interested to know from (The Laird) where the information originated from that the  Alfred Thomas Barnes KIA  a former police officer had the warrant number 99279

Regards Ray

I think he has already been identified

On 28/09/2016 at 20:17, The Inspector said:

Hi All

You may already have this:-

Alfred Thomas Barnes b. 1884, Ratcliff.,London was boarding at 66 Etta Street, Deptford SE in 1911 with 2 other Met.PCs..still looking

Regards Barry

1 hour ago, MelPack said:

There is a Lance Corporal Alfred T Barnes 5198 of the 5th Dragoons kia on 13 May 1915 but having had a look at his MIC his date of entry is 15 August 1914 and SDGW has his residence as Ipswich so not likely to be your man.

alfred.JPG

Disregard the residence as Ipswich this will have been the last known address of his next of kin (his  widow)

Hi Ray and all

5198  Alfred T Barnes, entered  theatre 15.8.14. , soldiers' effects, widow and sole legatee, Ethel.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Ray

I tend to agree with you that this is the man - everything fits now that you have explained the anomaly of Ipswich.

I think that the Dragoon Barnes and the Warrant 99279 Barnes are one and the same. The Dragoon Barnes was clearly a reservist mobilised at the outbreak of the war. The NA link that you kindly provided suggests that the 19 June 1915 date was an administrative termination of the Warrant in common with other reservists and early volunteers rather than an actual leaving date.

Hi All

I think this is the Ipswich connection. Sole legatee for 5198.

Ethel Elvina Parnell married Alfred T Barnes, 4th qtr 1913 @ Risbridge, Suffolk. She was born Attleborough, Norfolk. Her brother was Horace William Parnell, 2780 4th Bn Norfolk Regt.

Regards Barry