Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Metropolitan Police Great War Memorial

Just had a quick look 

5198  Alfred T Barnes early enlistment papers are on FMP 

enlisted 1901 discharged having made an miss-statement on enlistment  (underage)

will look again later when at home

Regards Ray

Ray

It is the same man - attested in the Middlesex Militia in December 1901(after having been discharged from the RFA for underage enlistment) and then embodied in 1902 and transferred to the Dragoons - unfortunately, the papers end there.

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo96%2f0922%2f182%2f001&parentid=gbm%2fwo96%2f922%2f1481081

Hi All

I think Alfred Thomas Barnes was born 4th qtr Stepney,London 1c,424. 1884 Son of John and Harriet, same as in post 16. He is on the 1891 census but missing from the 1901. Fits in with MelPack's post below. Then turns up on the 1911 at Etta St.Police Constable.

Regards Barry

57 minutes ago, MelPack said:

Ray

It is the same man - attested in the Middlesex Militia in December 1901(after having been discharged from the RFA for underage enlistment) and then embodied in 1902 and transferred to the Dragoons - unfortunately, the papers end there.

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo96%2f0922%2f182%2f001&parentid=gbm%2fwo96%2f922%2f1481081

Edited by The Inspector

Another set of service papers on FMP   HERE

enlisted 3rd Jan 01 served till 4 May 01

Thomas will have been with the military when the 1901 census was taken

last page confirms parents and parents address

Regards Ray

Laird of Camster

For anyone who might be interested, his 1911 Coronation Medal is currently up for sale on Ebay  252557970203

(I'm NOT the seller and have no idea who is, just in case this information breaks any forum rules). 

• 3 years later...
On 29/09/2016 at 16:55, MelPack said:

There is a full list of the plod who were killed in the Roll of Honour  contained at the end of the Order of Service in this pdf:

http://www.westminster-abbey.org/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/72522/Metropolitan-Police-1919.pdf

It includes the name of A. Barnes who may be your man.

Unfortunately, the link no longer works.

I was wondering whether Edward William Joseph Walker is on the list. He enlisted around mid September 1902 in the South Wales Borderers, service number 7443. He is a policeman on the 1911 Census, and is residing at 22 Robert Street, St Pancras. His name appears in the Bethnal Green Roll of Honour, associated with the address of 13 Bishops Road, Bethnal Green. He was killed in action on 26 September 1914 at the Battle of the Aisne.

• 1 year later...

GrenPen, good evening.

I have just joined the forum tonight.

I am not sure if this thread is still active? 

Are you still interested in finding out if Edward William Joseph Walker is on the list of fallen MPS Officers .

I am currently updating my list of fallen MPS Officers and can check my spreadsheet for you.

Edited by Toontraveller

Hello there, would you happen to know if that Metropolitan Police Roll of Honour has been located anywhere else, given that the URL from 2016 no longer works?

Please do let me know what other information you have on Edward William Joseph Walker on your spreadsheet.

Thanks in advance
GP

GrenPen,  Good evening.

The MPS Roll of Honour is currently on display at Westminster Abbey , if you search for Westminster Abbey/Metropolitan Police Roll of Honour on the internet it will take you straight to the right page.

There is also a downloadable PDF , a copy of the service document from the Memorial Service held at Westminster Abbey on the 17th May 1919.

There is also a list of surnames of  MPS Officers  in the Memorial Service document which is downloadable.

There are approximately 365 MP  Officers and Staff who were killed in WW1 and I have not fully researched every one.

I have not got down to the Officers surnames starting with the letter 'W' just yet but I have the following information:-

There was only 1 Edward William Joseph Walker of the MP who was killed in WW1. 

PC Walker joined the MP on 20 March 1911 and officially left on 13 November 1914. His warrant number was 99955 . At the time he left the MPS he was PC 305 1st Division (Woolwich Dockyard) . He was recalled to the colours via Police Order dated 8th August 1914,atthe very outset of the War  it only provides Surname, Warrant number ,Division number(sometimes referred to as his collar number) and date he was recalled- 4th August 1914.  The official date of leaving the MP is later than his death and this is because there would have been a delay before they officially  confirmed the information of his death.

The first draft of MP Officers who were recalled were Reservists . Always sad when you think a month prior to his death he was walking his beat in London...

I have not had a chance to fully research his military history and cross reference him to the Military information you provided above.

If you have a photograph and you would not mind sharing that would be great .

Hope this helps.

Edited by Toontraveller
Spelling error
10 hours ago, Toontraveller said:

There was only 1 Edward William Joseph Walker of the MP who was killed in WW1. 

PC Walker joined the MP on 20 March 1911 and officially left on 13 November 1914. His warrant number was 99955 . At the time he left the MPS he was PC 305 1st Division (Woolwich Dockyard) . He was recalled to the colours via Police Order dated 8th August 1914,atthe very outset of the War  it only provides Surname, Warrant number ,Division number(sometimes referred to as his collar number) and date he was recalled- 4th August 1914.  The official date of leaving the MP is later than his death and this is because there would have been a delay before they officially  confirmed the information of his death.

The first draft of MP Officers who were recalled were Reservists . Always sad when you think a month prior to his death he was walking his beat in London...

I have not had a chance to fully research his military history and cross reference him to the Military information you provided above.

If you have a photograph and you would not mind sharing that would be great .

Hope this helps.

Regards  Barry

Hello Barry,

Thank you for the extra information. Given there is no surviving service record for 7443 Walker, some educated guesses are the only option. Typically, he would have served about 3 years with the colours, and then the remaining nine years with the reserve. I have no way of telling if he served a longer period on Active Service. Just prior to his time expiring, war broke out and he was called to the colours.

I am sorry, but I do not have a photograph for this man.

Regards
GP

GP, good morning. 

Thank you, shame about the photograph will just have to keep on looking.

Regards  Barry