Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ireland sub-forum

Brian Curragh

Thank you for recent comments.

Anthony, I agree that it will need watching like a hawk but hopefully the good sense of the vast majority of forum members will be of great benefit to us all.

Crunchy - although sometimes people just moan (and we have to live with that), most members offer constructive advice and we are always open to that. Both here, and elsewhere, we have tried to make changes commensurate with the desires of the membership to move the forum forward. Inevitably we'll get some things wrong, but we will try our best.

The idea of an Irish sub-site within the forum has a thumbs up from me too. I think that this would only add something to what we already enjoy and it would benefit GWF members by furthering our wider understanding of the Great War Period.

Obviously there is a sensitive political dimension as well as ordinary military interest, so if people are ill-disciplined there's the potential for postings to veer off topic into areas that would no longer be appropriate. In order to make life easier for the moderators, maybe we should confine initial postings to matters purely relating to the Easter Rising involving soldiers in arms (both sides) - begining say with the Curragh incident in 1914 and ending with Roger Casement's hanging (which was one month after the Somme). Once the Irish sub-site develops and becomes more established it might then be possible to safely extend the envelope (just a little). Anyway, good luck with the venture and you certainly have my support and interest.

Best regrads,

Michael (Egypt)

As usual, the complaints outnumber the thanks or positives......

An axiom known to most of those qualified in Change Management (as I am), is 'All change causes pain even when from worse to better' so the above is only to be expected. Another general point is that where and when possible it is always better (and easier) to deal with the pain (and resistance) before making the change rather than afterwards. Its almost impossible to overstress the importance of telling as many people whats happening beforehand (even if it means repeating what to you is obvious) and involving them as much as practically possible. Just having a test site for a while before hand doesn't do it (even though it can play a worthwile part).

Just having a test site for a while before hand doesn't do it (even though it can play a worthwile part).

Having the test site was and still is the best option for something that cannot be described in words. If I was to describe the potential layout of a category, sub-section & sub-forums, you would get one image in your head and some else would have another. The test site was open for a couple of weeks and many members popped in, viewed and left comments, mostly positive and very constructive. As they say, "you can please some of the people, some of the time, but you can't please all of the people, all of the time."

Having the test site was and still is the best option for something that cannot be described in words. If I was to describe the potential layout of a category, sub-section & sub-forums, you would get one image in your head and some else would have another. The test site was open for a couple of weeks and many members popped in, viewed and left comments, mostly positive and very constructive. As they say, "you can please some of the people, some of the time, but you can't please all of the people, all of the time."

I agree, the operative word though is "just". Was there a link from a posting that said we're about to change this particular/specific item, click on here to see it on the test site? If so I missed it. And as I've said I couldn't get the site to open for me anyway.

I agree, the operative word though is "just". Was there a link from a posting that said we're about to change this particular/specific item, click on here to see it on the test site? If so I missed it. And as I've said I couldn't get the site to open for me anyway.

You've just answered your own question - there was a link as you tried it. There was a pinned post telling everyone about it and given the number that actually made it there, I can only assume you didn't due to a typo.

You've just answered your own question - there was a link as you tried it. There was a pinned post telling everyone about it and given the number that actually made it there, I can only assume you didn't due to a typo.

No there was a problem with the way it was set up

It's a positive response from me.

I recently had a need to ask a question about the Ulster Covenant and because I couldn't decide where best to put it because it was not specifically about the Great War, although man concerned was later to become a soldier, I PM'd one of the Moderating Team for advice. The response came back that Skindles was the best place for it.

I reckon this subforum would have been ideal for that particular question, and I am sure I will use it from time to time.

Thanks,

Nigel

No there was a problem with the way it was set up

Because I have other things to do and if you can't produce a site that's easy to open one has little faith in it. I have to say that however well met the approach taken (including the offended its all your fault responses) would make a clasic case of how not to introduce change.

All I can say is that you must be Mr Perfect and everyone else was simply lucky to get access. Bottom line is, the site was available, people visited & left comments. There's also been several discussions around the forum (and via PM) over the last few months from people asking what the latest is as they were looking forward to it. I would therefore refer you to my quote in post #29 which stated "you can please some of the people, some of the time, but you can't please all of the people, all of the time."

Crunchy - although sometimes people just moan (and we have to live with that), most members offer constructive advice and we are always open to that. Both here, and elsewhere, we have tried to make changes commensurate with the desires of the membership to move the forum forward. Inevitably we'll get some things wrong, but we will try our best.

Andrew,

:blink:

My second paragraph was not meant as a criticism - just a constructive observation of a good result. Hopefully my post conveyed my appreciation of the many good things the Mods do and the hard work that goes into setting sub forums up for members . Apologies if you took it the wrong way.

Cheers

Chris

Andrew,

I think this is an excellent idea, as most people on here know that there were soldiers serving in the british army who had problems with the army in their home towns. My Great uncle was amongst these. He was killed on 09/09/16 and was a member of "A" Coy. 7th Bn. Royal Irish Fusiliers.

I would like to hear if anyone else who had relatives in the same company who has any more history on this or who may have came from the same district of Belfast as my great Uncle and served in the same company or was in the 7th Bn. He was from Ballymacarrett.

Thanks to PGL for the correction.

It's a positive response from me.
...and from me

I recently had a need to ask a question about the Ulster Covenant...

I'd be interested in that topic. I have always been puzzled why my Gt Grandfather went to Dungannon when his family were lived in Windsor for at least two generations, and his wife returned there during the war. I wondered if his working on the Windsor estate had something to do with it. Now I have a place to start :-)

I would like to hear if anyone else who had relatives in the same company who has any more history on this or who may have came from the same district of Belfast as my great Uncle and served in the same company or was in the 7th Bn. He was from Ardoyn.

Ahmmmm, I don't think he was.

From your spelling I take it you mean "Ardoyne" which is to the right of the Crumlin Road (country bound) and is in North Belfast, County Antrim.

Arran Street is across the river (Lagan) and is in Ballymacarrett (Ballymacarret is the modern spelling) in what is now East Belfast. It's also in County Down, the Lagan being the County boudary.

Edit to add: desperate to try and pull back from the tangent I've just headed off on - nice idea about the sub-forum, no complaints from me and a big "THANK YOU" instead.

As the person who started this debate off – perhaps it is appropriate now to voice my own thoughts on the Ireland sub-forum.

To be quite clear, I have only the best intentions for the Forum – but coming from where I do (Belfast), I am all too aware of the potential of “labels” - which is exactly what this issue is all about.

Ireland warrants its own sub-forum because of the independence angle. At the outbreak of war, this manifests itself as the Home Rule movement – this spins off into the Curragh (!) Incident (centring on British Army officers), through the Easter Rising in 1916 and culminating in partition & independence in 1921/2.

Except, of course, it didn’t culminate there – it is still very much a live political issue albeit one that is in a state of hibernation.

My concern for the Forum is that the use of the label “Ireland” opens up a potential arena for argument – and an argument that could very easily stray into the banned “modern politics” topic.

Having said all that, if we can self-moderate our posts – then there is no reason why this area cannot be the home of some very interesting debate. I, for one, intend to make use of it.

Regards

Brian

Andrew,

:blink:

My second paragraph was not meant as a criticism - just a constructive observation of a good result. Hopefully my post conveyed my appreciation of the many good things the Mods do and the hard work that goes into setting sub forums up for members . Apologies if you took it the wrong way.

Cheers

Chris

Chris - I'm really sorry, but you have mistaken my post. I took yours as supportive, not as a criticism, and it was much appreciated. I'm really sorry if my response led you to believe otherwise. The fault is mine for not writing clearly enough,

To all (esp. Brian as the q. was important to ask) - I think we all agree, 'cos it's pretty obvious, that this new section will need watching like a hawk. It is almost inevitable that something nasty will slip in there at some point. It is up to us as Mods to keep an eye on it, but with the support of all of you in reporting anything unworthy of this forum (as well as wording your own posts carefully, as I'm sure you will) I hope that it will prove to be a success. It is gratifying to note that the weight of opinion is in favour of it.

Thank you to all who have contributed constructively to this debate - it is appreciated.

Ahmmmm, I don't think he was.

From your spelling I take it you mean "Ardoyne" which is to the right of the Crumlin Road (country bound) and is in North Belfast, County Antrim.

Arran Street is across the river (Lagan) and is in Ballymacarrett (Ballymacarret is the modern spelling) in what is now East Belfast. It's also in County Down, the Lagan being the County boudary.

Edit to add: desperate to try and pull back from the tangent I've just headed off on - nice idea about the sub-forum, no complaints from me and a big "THANK YOU" instead.

I stand corrected Thank you, I do know they lived near St Mathews church which is in Ballymacarrett. It does not detract from what I am trying to find out though.

Clarification.

Please note the amended title of this section. It now has an 's' on the end. Also 'British' has been taken out of the title of the Politics and Society sub-forum.

These alterations are to make it clear that this section is open to discussions on aspects of the Home Fronts of any participating nation and not just the British Home Front as the original headings implied.

"you can please some of the people, some of the time, but you can't please all of the people, all of the time."

In your sig, you say:

"Anyone who tells you he wasn't scared, he's a damned liar". Harry Patch 17/6/1898 - 25/7/2009

can you show me where harry says this please?

I heard him say this in a tv interview.

Regards.

Tom.

I can confirm what Tom says.

However ... we are now way off tangent with this thread.

Let's see more 'Ireland' posts folks.

Des

• 4 weeks later...
I'd be interested in that topic.

Hello Norette,

Here is a link to that particular thread.

And here is a link where you'll find another thread related to the Ulster Covenant which contains a link to PRONI and the search facility they have.

Apologies for taking so long to put this response up!

Cheers,

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...