Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ireland sub-forum

Brian Curragh

Could I ask the Moderators for a clear & concise definition of what this sub-forum is intended to contain please?

Brian

Things pertaining to Ireland - home front in Ireland inc. Easter Rising. Obviously Irish soldiers would still best be placed in Soldiers, Irish regiments in Units & Formations etc.

Why Andrew? What about other nationalities? I hope the same will be done for others.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Phil

What is your problem with this?

If you wanted to talk about the Easter Rising, say, where would you post it?

I look forward to your reply.

Is this the "island of Ireland" or just the Republic - either way I fear you could be on a slippery slope to politics here. (And I speak as one of whose family half is Irish)

The home front seemed the best place to post about Ireland. My point is Andrew, what about Australia, Canada and New Zealand being included in a sub forum. If you make a difference for one nationality then it should be the same across the forum. Will there be a sub forum on these countries? I think at timed the forum should be consulted before rash decisions.

Regards,

Phil

As a Irishman myself centurion I was wondering why it was just Ireland in the Sub forum. I can assure you no politics involved here.

Regards,

Phil

The home front seemed the best place to post about Ireland. My point is Andrew, what about Australia, Canada and New Zealand being included in a sub forum. If you make a difference for one nationality then it should be the same across the forum. Will there be a sub forum on these countries? I think at timed the forum should be consulted before rash decisions.

Regards,

Phil

Good point (and for that matter what about Scotland? or Wales? And exactly what does the Home front cover now - England Scotland, Wales but not Ireland - so we have two home fronts? Does not compute.

Have we grounds for discrimination centurion???? For others, Why is Ireland singled out? What about as you say England, Scotland, Wales, Canada, USA, south Africa ect. I really cannot understand why, hopefully the mods will inform us why.

Regards,

Phil

As usual, the complaints outnumber the thanks or positives......To pick up on some specific points since my last post:

• It wasn't rash. The team have been discussing this for months. Why do you assume it was 'rash'? Your personal opinion would appear to be against it, but don't assume that your personal opinion is correct. Others have them too.
  • The idea to put it in this section came from an Irishman.
  • It is Ireland - there was no Republic in the Great War era.
  • It is in Home Front because that's what it was. English soldiers sent to Dublin in 1916 did not get a MIC as it was not overseas.
  • Ireland, within the UK as it was constituted at the time, had issues / events that mark it apart from other constituent pats of the UK, so items such as the Easter Rising which regularly crops up, often got lost in 'other stuff'.
  • Politics may well crop up. If they are relevant to the time then fine. Clearly we will have to watch this carefully. I'm sure we can rely on people to also help us with reporting things if we miss them.
  • This is the Home area for the UK, so it would be silly to include other nationalities here. The forum began as just about the British Army and things British. We've expanded that a lot over the years, but we have had no demands to open up home front areas for Australia, New Zealand etc. and thus have no plans to do so at this stage.
  • "The home front seemed the best place to post about Ireland" - so, nothing has actually changed then!

Shall we move on? The area exists. A definition has been given.

Have we grounds for discrimination centurion????

Are we being serious now?

Well Andrew what about Scotland and England and Wales. Surely they must have a sub forum.

I am sure as you would agree on the following points you raised.

"Ireland, within the UK as it was constituted at the time, had issues / events that mark it apart from other constituent pats of the UK, so items such as the Easter Rising which regularly crops up, often got lost in 'other stuff"'

What about the Scottish, Welsh and English stuff lost in other stuff?

Regards,

Phil

Phil

Please drop the subject. Nothing other than the war actually happened in the rest of the UK. Ireland was an internal political affair using, as Andrew has pointed out, British troops.

Phil, read the bullet point you quoted again. My reasoning is within it.

You have registered the fact you don't agree. Thank you.

As usual, the complaints outnumber the thanks or positives

Here is a positive its a great idea and the discrete sub-forum will be watched and used with interest by me.

Thanks.

Dave

Thank you Dave. That is much appreciated.

Eviltaxman, I understand your comments but I cannot understand why you asked me to drop the subject. Surely my opinion must be respected as long as it is within the rules. The thread is an open one and as long as I obey by the rules as I am, I should voice my opinion. After all is this why our Forefathers died for on the bloody battlefields.

Regards,

Phil

Phil,

Your comments have been noted, now lets wait to see other comments, positive or not shall we. We are in the process of updating the site which we felt, along with many others was needed.

A little while ago a test site was set out with the members invited to have a look and pass suggestions and comments to us, which quite a few did, and for which we are thankful. We updated one area (other theatres) and the end result was positively received, we do realise that not all changes will be received maybe favourably and are open to suggestions, hence your comments have been noted.

All these changes take an awful lot of work, more than I suspect you realise, the Trustees have the good of the forum close to their heart, want to see it progress and develop.

There may be a few hiccups along the way, who knows, but the intention is to improve the site, so your comments are duly noted but work with us on this will you??? given that members were consulted with the test forum open to them it was hardly rash but considered.

Andy

As usual, the complaints outnumber the thanks or positives

For what its worth I think this is a good idea. I'm interested in Ireland during the Great War but find the subject a little complicated. Having a section dedicated and bringing discussions to one area is useful, I think. I'll be watching with interest.

Barbara

WW1 Patteson - I'm an Ulsterman ... I count it as a matter of pride that Ireland has its own section.

It makes things simple .. but for those who don't get it, here's the deal ...

Military stuff regarding Irish soldiers, regiments etc should go in the common sense places.

Discussions on the politics, social scene, pre war UVF, IV etc etc should go in the Ireland section.

Please give the bleedin' thing a chance before lumping in with criticism.

And give a bit of credit to the Mods (and I'm not one of 'em) who worked very very hard behind the scenes to IMPROVE this forum.

Andrew and the Team,

I do appreciate that Chris Baker started the site as a place to discuss the British Army on the Western Front, but could I add that as the forum has become known and renowned and grown into its title "The Great War Forum" that being to discrimanatory has its pitfalls for scholarship, discussion and inclusion of the many people who would like to contribute and participate.

I for one would certainly like to see an Australian Home Front index, there were many issues going on in the background in Australia that are not well discussed, such as, the Conscription debate and referendum; how Australia raised, housed, equipped and despatched troops to Europe and Palestine when it had little military infrastructure or industry and vast distances internally and to the fronts; why Australia did not raise and train the full range of units for its Divisions and Corps, and so on.

I think this last point particularly important and never raised as it contributed to the casualty statistics as the AIF had a higher proportion of infantry and far less combat support (apologies but I include heavy and medium artillery here), second and third line troops than most others. It could even be said that Australia, as part of Empire policy, continued front ending its troops rather than having a balanced force structure for many years post WW1, possiblly even to today. My problem being I have nowhere at present that I could raise this for disucssion, so how about it? Home Front threads for all?

Cheers,

Hendo

Desmond as a North Belfast man who has a great interest into the 15th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles. I also like you have a great pride of Ireland`s role within the Great War.

My Great Grandfather was one of the first to enlist into the Irish Guards and served with 1st and 2nd Battalion in the Great War. Being from the heart of the Shankill area of Belfast. He was proud of Being an Ulster-man as well as a Irishman, that value he had I have today.

The point that I am making is that there should be other sub forums for other areas just rather than Ireland. I am hacking lumps out of the idea but think that it will open up debate for why other areas are left out. To be truthful it`s not a bad idea but the big picture is that forum members will feel left out.

I would also like to thank the MODS for their hard work on the forum as this forum is a credit to their hard work. This is as I keep saying my personal opinion, we will have to see the forum pals response. I should not be gagged to voice my opinion surely.

Regards,

Phil

Green Acorn - thanks for your views. You are the first person ever to request a unique Australian home front area to my knoweldge (somebody's bound to post that they asked for it years ago!).

The forum update process began with a test site several months ago. Since then we have created unique areas within the other theatres section, partly as a result of so many Australians wanting a unique place for Gallipoli. It made sense and we did it. We have yet to get to other sections of the forum as this is a huge and laborious process (the home front reorganisation required the relocation of thousands of threads dating back to 2002!), but it has been suggested that when we get to Units & Formations that Australia (and other allied nations) would get their own slot. This is some way off but views will be requested when we get there. It is certainly our intention to develop beyond the UK-centric origins of the forum.

As for "Conscription debate and referendum; how Australia raised, housed, equipped and despatched troops to Europe and Palestine when it had little military infrastructure or industry and vast distances internally and to the fronts; why Australia did not raise and train the full range of units for its Divisions and Corps, and so on.", feel free to use the new areas for 'Recruitment, Conscription etc' and 'Infrastructure'. I would just advise that the title points out clearly that the thread has an Australian rather than a UK angle so that it pulls the correct punters!

Cheers,

Andy

Andy,

Thank you, as I always I appreciate both the size of the task and the efforts all of those involved in the administration of the GWF. I had made a comment or two over at the test forum a few months ago, but couldn't make the one I wanted to, because it was oversize when I copied the format to word and didn't scrub out the code. I will renew my suggestions in the appropriate place.

Again thank you to the team and to Chris Baker for his wonderful internet child!

Cheers,

Chris Henderson

I,for one, give it a big thumbs up.My Father and his family are from Ireland,and i have a big interest in all things Irish.Ireland is unique in comparison to the other areas stated,lots of Irish fought and died for England whilst others died, fighting against England.Unfortunately,i can see the pitfalls as regards politics and religion,but, we are all mature adults and hopefully any debates can be both constructive and respectful.Sharing our opinions and points of view can only help us understand the complexities of this subject.

Anthony.

As usual, the complaints outnumber the thanks or positives......

Andrew,

I don't have a lot of interest in purely Irish issues but a big thanks for responding positively to a request from a forum member. Big job getting it sorted out, well done. Looking forward over time to seeing new sub forums evolve as the demand and circumstances emerge.

I think Phil's query was reasonable and has resulted in a good understanding of what the sub forum is about, why and how it was created. It has also generated interest for new ones to be considered. All in all, not a bad outcome.

Cheers

Chris