Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ancre Map appeal

Desmond7

Hello Des,

As to the mine effects on the British side I would have to bow to the British experts out there as I really have no idea. Hopefully some kind soul will post a reply to that point.

Regards,

Ralph

Hello James,

I would love to see the accounts you mentioned, it helps put the big picture together. I have sent you a message off forum on the question you asked.

Regards,

Ralph

Hi To You All, :)

Very Interesting thread.

Des,

In Response to your question, as to whether the British troops felt much of the explosion. I'm not sure as to the facts of Hawthorn Mine but there is certainly information as to what happened when Lochnagar was blown although this was about a third bigger than Hawthorn, 60,000 tons compared 40,600 tons of ammonal. There were reports that men in the British trenches 250 metres away suffered fractures and concussion from the sock waves ! Here a pilot overhead at the time describes the detonation of Lochnagar and Y Sap Mines. Y Sap was the same size as Hawthorn !

2nd Lieutenant C.A Lewis 3rd Squadron RFC

'The whole earth heaved and flashed, a tremendous and magnificent column rose up into the sky. There was an earsplitting roar, drowning all the guns, flinging the machine sideways in the repercussing air. The earth column rose higher and higher to almost 4,000 feet. There it hung, or seemed to hang, for a moment in the air, like a silhouette of some great cypress tree, then fell away in a widening cone of dust and debris. A moment later came the second mine. Again a roar, the upflung machine, the strange giant silhouette invading the sky. Then the dust cleared and we saw the two white eyes of the craters'

Hope this has been of interest although it is away from the original point.

Cheers

Tim.

All donations of info/opinions/anecdotres gratefully recieved!

You never know when someone interested in a Division/Unit 'next door' on the line has a little piece of extra info which adds to the entire picture.

Ralph has pitched in with German side, James with 9th RI Fusiliers and Tim with some extra points. More of the same, anyone else out there with what may be pretty much usless info to them and their study of a particular unit can stick it on here!!!

Cheers all.

Thread is 'going rightly'!