Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What Regiment Marching here?

asdarley

This photo is from a postcard which unfortunately has no writing on the reverse, and no date. Only that it was produced by W E B Photographers Witham & Braintree

So, who is marching down the road? It looks like an entire regiment with baggage to me!

post-11647-1248983077.jpg

Does the sign on the left provide any clues as to the location.

Bob

Downloaded it and slowly blew it up before blurring and discovered that there are actually two different units here. The lead element which are just disappearing from view appear to be Lincolns, but who the follow up unit is I couldn't say, but the cap badge is totally different in shape etc.

Thanks Edorc for posting this great photograph.

David

Well, if the photographer was based in Witham and Barintree, one might assume an Essex location; having surmised that, the next step would be to see if any Lincoln units were there in the GW. 46th Division training or Coast Defence, perhaps (I have no idea, just suggesting).

I don't immediately recognise it as a Colchester location - but then I haven't lived there for 12 years! :)

I haven't lived there for nearly 54 years, but I did go there for 2 TA training weekends. ;)

Seriously, though, worth a rummage through the bookshelves later - if no-one else gets there first.

Looking through James's British Infantry Regiments 1914-18, only one Lincolnshire battalion would be immediately obvious.

The 1st Battalion was at Portsmouth on the outbreak of war, the 2nd in Bermuda: neither came anywhere near East Anglia.

The 3rd Battn were at Lincoln, going to Ireland in 1918.

The 1/4th and 1/5th passed through Hertfodshire, as did the 2/4th and 2/5th. The various New Army battalions didn't get any closer than Surrey, so far as I can see.

Which leaves the 13th (TF) Battalion: "On 1.1.17 the 28th Provisional Battalion at Bath in 215th Bde, 72nd Division became the 13th Bn. The battalion had been formed in 1915 from home service personnel of TF Battalions. Jan 1917 to Bedford. May 1917 Ipswich. About July 1917 left 72nd Div and was disbanded at Ipswich on 31.10.17"

So possibly the picture was taken in the Ipswich/south east Essex area between May and October, 1917?

A good analysis by Steven, but i wouldnt discount the 1/4 and 1/5th Battalions. Whilst they were based for the majority of their training in Luton, the 1/5th did on Nov 15th set off from Luton going via Ware to Bishop Stortford (the journey undertaken by marching rather than train), where they did remain until going abroad; although various groups did return to Luton area in between for different training.Whilst i cannot find it at the moment i am sure i have a copy of a picture of E Company (Barton) 1/5th Lincs enjoying Christmas dinner 1914 at Braintree.

Is it possible to get a enhanced scan of the shoulder title of the Lincs man nearest camera and the left of the two officers on horseback?

Chris

Agree it is a terrific image

Happy with that, Chris. Be interested to see what you can dig up.

I would say there is a good chance that it is a unit of the 48 (South Midland) Division, or the 61st (South Midland) Division. The 48th Division's war station in 1914 was the Chelmsford area, which includes Witham and Braintree . After their departure to the Western Front, the 61st Division, whose temporary war station had been around Northampton, moved to the Chelmsford area in April 1915.

TR

Chaps

Not sure but it might be the 1st/4th Royal Berkshire Regiment. Could be the china Dragon Cap Badge. The officers badge was always different in as much as it was a red coil with a very small version of the ORs badge. I do know the battalon was photographed on the march to Chelmsford.

Cheers

MAC

CGM

The Regimental History states.......

‘On the 16th August 1914 a new move was made to Dunstable where four days were spent amongst the rounded chalk downs, before a hot and dusty march of seventy miles carried the battalion to its final destination at Chelmsford. They rested during the four nights of the journey at Stevenage, Hoddeston, Waltham Abbey, and Fyfield. Chelmsford became the Headquarters of the 48th Division. At first the Battalion was stationed in the Western half of Chelmsford, except from the 24th September to the 16th October, when it occupied three adjacent villages, Broom field and Great and Little Waltham’. I have attached an image (I hope) showing the battalion entering Chelmsford.

Cheers

MAC

post-1559-1249328071.jpg

when it occupied three adjacent villages, Broom field and Great and Little Waltham’.

I merely point out that not many Forum members have suburbs of Chelmsford named after them. -_-

I thought it could be 6th Buffs. They were in Colchester in August 1914 but I think moved south in the autumn to Tilbury area, probably by foot.

It might be worth asking our resident Buffs expert Mick Mills (Michael on Forum) if he recognises either of the first two officers.

It is a great photo - most envious!

Regards,

Jonathan S

I merely point out that not many Forum members have suburbs of Chelmsford named after them. -_-

But then my lot have a King's, an Abbotts, and a 'Bucks' ..... altogether more upmarket than a field full of old bezoms.