Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Durham Light Infantry service number query

high wood

3 hours ago, emam said:

I can't see one for a John and Sarah but can see on for a Samuel and Sarah.

@high wood

Where did the photo come from, was it family? He had a sister called Minnie, just wondering if there was anything for that name.

I cannot now remember exactly where I bought the post card after all these years. I have been collecting photographs and ephemera for over 25 years and have many hundreds in my collection. Most of the basic research was done many years ago, usually to the point of identifying the individual, his regimental number, battalion and his service history. I am now in the process of reviewing my earlier research of those post cards that were not positively identified but had several clues as to who the soldier was. With the amount of information that is now available on line, particularly the pension files, absent voter lists, 1921 Census and microfilmed newspapers, I am able to positively identify many more individuals.

The card in question probably has more information than any other unidentified card in my collection. I am convinced that it is Robert Taylor but I am going to get his birth certificate to be absolutely certain.

Another card in my collection should also be easy in that it gives the surname, battalion and regiment but like this card, it leaves one piece of information out. It reads, "Pte Warburton. 2/4th South Lancashire Regiment, Transport Section". The photograph was taken at a studio in Oldham. There were seven soldiers called Warburton in the 2/4th South Lancs, there are service papers for only two of them. If only they had written the first name on the card.

8 hours ago, weshallremember said:

19 years and 7 months listed on missing list

works back to sept 1897 and the only robert taylor from durham

trevor

I think that the correct entry is:

Taylor. Robert. Hartlepool. 10a 150 Dec Qtr 1897.

2 hours ago, high wood said:

I cannot now remember exactly where I bought the post card after all these years. I have been collecting photographs and ephemera for over 25 years and have many hundreds in my collection. 

I thought it might not be family.

The card in question probably has more information than any other unidentified card in my collection. I am convinced that it is Robert Taylor but I am going to get his birth certificate to be absolutely certain.

Please let us know what it says when you get it. I think you might be able to get a pdf version for a cheaper price.

Another card in my collection should also be easy in that it gives the surname, battalion and regiment but like this card, it leaves one piece of information out. It reads, "Pte Warburton. 2/4th South Lancashire Regiment, Transport Section". The photograph was taken at a studio in Oldham. There were seven soldiers called Warburton in the 2/4th South Lancs, there are service papers for only two of them. If only they had written the first name on the card.

Which reminds us that we should be writing the info on our own printed photos.

• 8 months later...

hiya how can I get access to the 11th battalion DLI casualty list, my gt grandfather was discharged injured on 03/05/1916, his army number was 17474 Ralph Bagnall Rutherford Christer

image.png

Ralph's disability pension was awarded due to deafness and contusion of his back. I can't spot him in the War Office casualty lists, which may suggest his injuries were not classified as a wound (as, for example, if they were accidental).

1 hour ago, Ed Harris said:

hiya how can I get access to the 11th battalion DLI casualty list, my gt grandfather was discharged injured on 03/05/1916, his army number was 17474 Ralph Bagnall Rutherford Christer

image.png

That's surely not a DLI cap badge? More like Fusiliers of some sort.

Edited by charlie962

• Admin

Definitely not a DLI badge, no bugle. As Charlie says, it’s a fusilier badge. Unfortunately , the image is too small to make out which type of fusilier. Maybe Northumberland. 

3 hours ago, charlie962 said:

That's surely not a DLI cap badge? More like Fusiliers of some sort.

I agree.
He was dicharged on 3/5/1916.(Under KR Para. 392 xvi - I can't remember f this was for sickness...)
He was issued with a Silver War Badge on 8/3/1919. (No. B137579)

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

5 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I agree.
He was dicharged on 3/5/1916.(Under KR Para. 392 xvi - I can't remember f this was for sickness...)
He was issued with a Silver War Badge on 8/3/1919. (No. B137579)

Xvi is permanently unfit. The cause is not defined by this. Often the words are added 'wounds' or 'sick'

Hiya wow doesn’t sound good. Couldn’t read most of it but got the gist

are these abodes still standing and would you know postcodes as I would like to visit but given what my gt grandad was up to sounds a tad disrespectful. I’m the gt grandson of the sister in law he got into trouble. This is why my nan moved to Birmingham to give birth and ended up staying. When it says he got her in to trouble and she made a complaint does that mean what I think it means?

Hi,

There are a more few newspaper artical on Ralph, I will see what I can do and I think I should send them by messages as I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this.

Unless others would like to read them? What does the administrator think?

My email is removed by moderator 

many thanks 

please do not put personal information like your email address on a public  forum as spammers will harvest it. You can use personal messages to communicate off forum

My email is removed by moderator 

(Ed you can use private messages to communicate off forum. Simply click on the username of the member you wish to contact, then  click on the envelope icon) 

19 hours ago, Spree Farm said:

Hi,

There are a more few newspaper artical on Ralph, I will see what I can do and I think I should send them by messages as I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this.

Unless others would like to read them? What does the administrator think?

I don’t mind them being shared on here as they are in the public forum already.