The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Durham Light Infantry service number query

high wood

• 1 year later...
On 18/09/2021 at 08:09, Spree Farm said:

image.png.94922dbb245ce18ecded482ae10f15f9.png

Best I can do 

That is very helpful, thank you. I have played around with the contrast and I think  that you have done a much better job than I have.

RobertTaylor Copy - Copy.jpg

RobertTaylor.jpg

RobertTaylor Copy.jpg

On 19/09/2021 at 09:48, emam said:

This is the Find a Grave reference for Robert Taylor, it looks a good match.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/15761149/robert-taylor

Eman,

thank you for adding the link. I am certain that we have the right man. Robert Taylor meets the criteria in that he was reported missing on the 9th April 1917, which is backed up by his being commemorated on a memorial to the missing, his birth being registed in the right quarter of 1897 and by the fact that he is wearing a L/Cpl's chevron in the photograph taken at home before his departure for France. The service record shows that he was appointed paid A/L Cpl. on the 13th July 1916 whilst serving with the 3rd battalion D.L.I.

To be 100% sure, I am going to apply for his birth certificate.

Simon.

Taylor dates..jpg

I have seen it but thank you for posting it. What I need is either a matching photograph or a confirmation of his date of birth. I have searched the newspapers and have not found a photograph, I think that obtaining a birth certificate is the way forward.

4 minutes ago, high wood said:

No, it is a Red Cross enquirey notification form.

OK, thanks.

19 minutes ago, high wood said:

I have seen it but thank you for posting it. What I need is either a matching photograph or a confirmation of his date of birth. I have searched the newspapers and have not found a photograph, I think that obtaining a birth certificate is the way forward.

I have checked the illustrated Chronicle for both Taylor and Hartlepool but no photo is showing up.

Would you like me to send a message to the manager of the memorial on Find a Grave to see if he has any more information?  Or maybe you can see if you can contact 

West Hartlepool Old Boys Association.

Surname   Given Name   District   Volume   Page   Transcriber  

Births Sep 1897
Taylor Robert Durham    10a

newers

this would tally up with 

his aged on missing list

trevor

1897B3-T-0542.jpg

maybe born late sept

registered 9th october?????

Births Sep 1897   (>99%)
Taylor  Robert    Edmonton  3a 460  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert    Tynemouth  10b 302  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert    Skipton  9a 28  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert    W. Ham  4a 170  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert    Durham  10a 429  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert    Oldham  8d 697  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert    Middlesbro'  9d 640  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert    Salford  8d 53  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert Alfred    Rochdale  8e 11  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert Arthur    W. Derby  8b 304  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert Cecil V    Wandsworth  1d 799  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert Donkin    Easington  10a 442  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert Edgar    Sheffield  9c 557  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert Giddy    Tavistock  5b 346  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert Henry    Medway  2a 616  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert Herbert    Ecclesall B.  9c 359  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert Hunt    I. Wight  2b 612  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert Victor    Auckland  10a 248  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert William    Worksop  7b 19  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert William    N. Bierley  9b 148  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert William    Ely  3b 520  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Surname  First name(s)    District  Vol  Page 

Births Dec 1897   (>99%)
Taylor  Robert    Paddington  1a 12  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert    Newport, M.  11a 251  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert    Bethnal G.  1c 250  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert    Burnley  8e 161  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert    Tynemouth  10b 247  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert    N. Bierley  9b 147  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert    Chorlton  8c 901  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert    Skipton  9a 45  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert    Hartlepool  10a 150  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert    Blackburn  8e 427  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert Coxon    Chester le S.  10a 564  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert Francis    Thirsk  9d 425  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert Henry    St. Saviour  1d 114  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert Leonard    Leicester  7a 257  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert Weightman    Gateshead  10a 1032  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert Whitecross    Newcastle T.  10b 108  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert William    Bethnal G.  1c 247  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Taylor  Robert William    Salford  8d 169  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

19 years and 7 months listed on missing list

works back to sept 1897 and the only robert taylor from durham

trevor

1 hour ago, emam said:

On the service records he enlisted in December 1915 and age stated as 19 years 2 months which would be October 1897. Also see below.

I read it as 18 years and 2 months

18.JPG.6a0937311b086623d5b682059bb70100.JPG

182.JPG.bbaec810b8b24aabb0a5430fce7c43a9.JPG

1 hour ago, weshallremember said:

find a grave have his birth as march 1898 ??????????????????

The birth probably wasn't registered straight away but in January 1898. The quarter would be January to March. Depending on what site you are using it could come up for January or March. I think Ancestry uses the first month of the quarter and GRO the last month of the quarter. 

It's a bit confusing as a bmd could be anytime in that 3 month period. 

2 minutes ago, weshallremember said:

is his  pension card available 

does it give any details of who received it

trevor 

Yes, they are available, i think it was his mother.

does not help much

1901 census taken 31th march says he was 3   could be 3.1/2

1911 census taken 2nd april says he was 13     could be 13.1/2

which would point to end sept or early october

why would the picture of him say 9th of october 1897

if he was born in 1898  ?????

guess the truth will only be found with the birth certificate

there is a christening on ancestry with father john and mother sarah which could be him and would give a birth date

but  i dont have access 

trevor

38 minutes ago, weshallremember said:

there is a christening on ancestry with father john and mother sarah which could be him and would give a birth date

but  i dont have access 

trevor

I can't see one for a John and Sarah but can see on for a Samuel and Sarah.

@high wood

Where did the photo come from, was it family? He had a sister called Minnie, just wondering if there was anything for that name.