Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte 12234 Harry Jones, 3rd Bn Cheshire Regiment

David_Underdown

David

whats the place of death & any NOK deatails for Barrick

Chris

Could have sworn I'd given some details earlier.

Anyway, for Barrick, died at King Street, Stanford-le-Hope on 11 June 1918, informant was his widow, Ada Frances Barrick (nee Clarke). We know he previously lived in Dunmow as well. I'll forward all the papers to Terry shortly.

David

will crack on with the grave search tomorrow

Chris

Chris, thanks. The main docs are now with Terry.

I've also emailed you some stuff about Drew, believed to be buried in Dinder Churchyard, but this has not been definitively confirmed.

David

re Barrick. He is not buried in any of Thurrocks cemeteries nor in Stanford Le Hope churchyard

Chris

Thanks for the efforts so far, Terry has all the papers now, and has probably forwarded them to CWGC.

• 8 months later...

Dave

Had a quick look in Overleigh Chester today. I could not locate his grave.

Sorry

will look closer once I have more time.

cheers

Atnomis/Simon

Thanks for trying.

The best I can offer is images of the cemetery plans which a kind soul has put online http://www.hollandfamilyhistory.co.uk/htmlfiles/overleighplans.html. I think I may have linked to these upthread as well, so apologies if you've seen them before.

Just if you knew his plot i'd go straight to it.

I have a Henry Jones

Age: 45 y Address: 2 Bishop Lloyds Place Parish: Holy Trinity Date of Burial: 21/11/1918 Grave Number: G4949 Page Number: 179 Consecrated: True Cemetery Register: DCE 1/8 Running Number: 744 Notes:

That's him, sorry, I thought I'd given you that already.

Dave,

I went to Overleigh this morning with the details. As you can see Henry Jones has no Head stone. I searched again in the War Graves but alas I could not find him. I think the CWGC needs telling so a headstone can be put on his resting place.

231.jpg

232.jpg

226.jpg

I believe they do check out th eposition re stones, and erect if necessary (and possible). Chris or Terry should be able to clarify the process. Thanks again for making the effort.

Your welcome.

Anytime I can help pm me. I'm back on shift now so have spare time on my hands.

All the best and please pm with any outcomes etc.

Regards

Simon/Atnomis

Will do.

The current bellringers at Chester Cathedral are aware that he's now recognised by CWGC, and one of them (who is also the archivist of teh Chester Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers) was also going to have a look around Overleigh, though I never heard anymore on that front, so it may be that he also struggled with working out the geography. I'll drop him another email to let him know what you've found. I suspect it's just one of those things where without fanfare a headstone will suddenly appear one day.

Dave

That would be a shame. Ive been away this weekend, I will pop down early next week to Blacon Crem the office might be able to shed some light on his headstone.

I'd like to think the local Reg at the Dale Barrecks would be present.

Regards

Simon

I did half think of contacting the Chester papers and seeing if any descendants were still in the area, but with the surname Jones... Though I do at least have his wife and children's names. I think there's some mention upthread that he isn't on the Cheshire Regiment roll of honour - though he is on the memorial in the Town Hall.

Will do.

The current bellringers at Chester Cathedral are aware that he's now recognised by CWGC, and one of them (who is also the archivist of teh Chester Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers) was also going to have a look around Overleigh, though I never heard anymore on that front, so it may be that he also struggled with working out the geography. I'll drop him another email to let him know what you've found. I suspect it's just one of those things where without fanfare a headstone will suddenly appear one day.

David

be prepared for a long wait for the headstone to appear; one of my cases is still waiting 3 years on

Chris

David

be prepared for a long wait for the headstone to appear; one of my cases is still waiting 3 years on

Chris

Chris

Why is that? Is it the CWG or local? You'd think the powers that be would be made up for our dead to be reconised.

I am shocked.

Regards

Simon/Atnomis

Simon

it could be due to all sorts of issues.

There are all sorts of legal issues with the CWGC taking over the maintenance of a privately owned grave (this is the case with one of mine). There is also the production process for the CWGC headstone which are not made in this country but in France at the CWGC workshops there. Remember that they are replacing headstones all the time due to weathering etc & our new acceptances have to wait their turn in the queue. They all get there in the end.

Chris