Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/1st (Warwick) Bty RHA

matthew lucas

On 10/04/2020 at 16:06, Brian J Owen said:

On the 29th June 1917 Lt F.W.Mellor (2/1st Warwick R.H.A) and 2 Lt R  Wightman report to the 51st Divisional Artillery.

It is the War Diary of 51st Divisional Trench Mortar Batteries that has the detail missing in other reports.

July 1 - 14, 1917 At Trois Tours? in Billets. Employed in making gun emplacements on Divisional sector C.14a.4.4 to C.15d.4.7 Reference Map ST. JULIEN Ed. 6a

Working party from DAC attached from July 7, 1917 consisting of 50 OR

Working party from 126 A.F.A. Bde. attached from July 8, 1917 consisting of 2 Officers and 72 OR

July 15, 1917 Gun pits finished, firing commenced . . . . . . 

July 20, 1917 Billet hit by enemy shell causing 15 OR to be killed and 28 OR to be wounded, all casualties with the exception of 2 OR belonging to 126 A.F.A. Bde.

July 21, 1917 Officers and men of 126 A.F.A. Bde. withdrawn.  

David, I do not know how you found this, but may I say thank you so much. I have been looking for this information for the last 25 years and now you have solved the mystery that has had me tearing my hair out.

I  will hopefully be going over to Ypres again next year and this location will be on the list of to do. 

Christmas has certainly come early for me, thanks again, please find below, the photo is of the 2/1st Warwick R.H.A. and the second is Saddler Doody, he si seated front row third from the left,these were given to me by his grandson. I am still looking for the two Smith brothers in the photo when I have time, thanks again

2 1st warwick r.h.a..jpg

pop on horse 2.jpg

Saddler Doody.pdf

I just stumbled upon it whist looking for something else. Glad you got notification of the update and pleased it concludes a long search. I also had a look at 51st DAC War Diary which has the following:

July 20, 1917 3 OR wounded at TROIS TOURS (D.T.M.O's fatigue party).

July 21, 1917 Fatigue party attached D.T.M.O. relieved by fresh party.

That is a splendid photo of the battery, any idea where it was taken?

David, pleased you like the photo, I feel it may have been taken in Warwick, at the castle, as Lord Brooke raised the Warwick R.H.A., before they were posted to the 2nd/2nd Mounted Division. but certainly in England prior to the departure to France. please also find attached one letter ref Mellor who you can see 8th from the right seated with the officers, and one photo with men that can be seen in the group.

Thanks again for some more info, but what dose D.T.M.Os and D.T.M.O refer to? and on trench map titled Elverdinghe sheet 28 NW1 it shows Dambre Camp by the rail head basically  by the chateau Trois Tours, apologies for all the questions but with the previous information it just gets better and better,

Lt Francis Whitaker Mellor M.C..jpg

mellor letter.pdf james with 3 1st.pdf

10 minutes ago, Brian J Owen said:

what dose D.T.M.Os and D.T.M.O refer to

Divisional Trench Mortar Officer

Thanks for that information,

• 11 months later...
On 10/04/2020 at 16:06, Brian J Owen said:

614181 Bombardier H W. Rainbow

Should anyone search for him by name here on GWF in the future ...

Pension Index Cards at WFA / Fold3 = Hugh William RAINBOW

:-) M

• 2 years later...
On 10/04/2020 at 21:06, battiscombe said:

I have seen a handwritten roll for 1/1 Warwicks RHA, date unknown but i suspect early in war.

I note that there are two Keens listed there, both later Sgts

Gnr G(eorge) H M Keen 269 -  next of kin at 80 Jackbrook St Leamington

Driver G(eorge) Keen 410 -  next of kin at Chapel House, Chipping Norton

I would add that the 334 Dvr. Lewis Robert Williams 334, mentioned in an earlier post [14], is indeed listed with 1/1, with next of kin at Gwynfryn, Bendlech Bay, Anglesey

I have roll of all the men who started the War with 1/1st - It is in the book Brookes Battery A History of 1/1/ Warwickshire Royal Horse Artillery by Brewin Books and has three lists

1. All those mobilised on 5 Aug 14
2. All those who died in the war
3 The medal winners
Let me know if there is anything you need from the book

Hi Ian,  I hope this will help, there seemed to be a lot of Keens in the both batteries of the Warwickshire Royal Horse Artillery, I know there were several sets of brothers if I can be any more assistance let me know,

Kind Regards,

Brian

IMG_20240429_125029.jpg

IMG_20240429_125252.jpg

IMG_20240429_125113.jpg

keen.png

1 hour ago, Brian J Owen said:

Hi Ian,  I hope this will help, there seemed to be a lot of Keens in the both batteries of the Warwickshire Royal Horse Artillery, I know there were several sets of brothers if I can be any more assistance let me know,

Kind Regards,

Brian

IMG_20240429_125029.jpg

IMG_20240429_125252.jpg

IMG_20240429_125113.jpg

keen.png

Thank you VM

Here are our two pages for them
Arthur Keen 2nd/1st - https://www.swfhs.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3415:bmdr-a-keen&catid=16:the-men-who-fell-in-ww1

Brother Frederick 1st/1st - https://www.swfhs.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3417:cpl-f-keen&catid=16:the-men-who-fell-in-ww1