Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16th Highland Light Infantry

Woody

Woody,

I am planning a trip to the Somme in September with some colleagues and we are doing a couple of walks and hope to take in the area were the Battle of Ancre took place in November 1916 and I want to end up at the area of the Munich & Frankfurt Trench were men of the 16th HLI (with some 11th Borders) were cut off after the main attack and I am trying to find out as much as I can about the incident to enhance our trip and assist our understanding of the incredible events that took place there.

Two 'Forum pals' have already very kindly supplied me with a photocopy of the relevant pages in the History of the 16th HLI and a trench map (Thank you Ken & Tim) but I was wondering if you had any additional information you could pass on please?

The story has really captured my imagination and in particular I am trying to find answers to the following specific questions, I am sorry to impose on you but if you can assist in anyway I would be very grateful;

Is there a list of the men involved, both casualties and POW's? (if one in fact exists?)

The account in the 16th HLI book (page 67) refers to the men involved (survivors) being awarded 1 DSO, 11 DCM's and 22 MM's is there a list of these men anywhere please?

Two men apparently died after being taken prisoner, one being shot for accepting a piece of bread from a French civilian, do you know who these men were please?

Who was the CO awarded the Cross of the Legion of Honuor from the French?

Who were the '2 Great Soldiers' refered to in the HLI Book (page 63) a Lance Corporal and a Sergeant Major who were apparently recommended for VC's but ended up postumously mentioned in despatches?

As you can see I am pushing my luck a bit with all these questions but would like very much to know the answers.

Thanking you in anticipation,

Regards,

Scottie.

(aka Cockney Tone)