Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16th Highland Light Infantry

Woody

I am a keen collector of items to the 16th (Boys Brigade) Highland Light Infantry and wondered if anyone else out there had an interest in them.

I would be particularly keen to hear from anyone who needed any help in finding out information about them or anyone who had photos / information on the battalions history etc they wished to share.

This is only my 2nd post and I hope I have not broken any rules etc by posting here.

Woody

I would be particularly keen to hear from anyone who needed any help in finding out information about them or anyone who had photos / information on the battalions history etc they wished to share.

Woody.................Here's a photo from the McCorquodale Roll of Honour CD Rom which I have.

Private William Gordon 14751

16th Highland Light Infantry

Volunteered in September 1914

Died of Wounds 1st August 1917 age 36

William Gordon was a Paper Ruler at the Glasgow office of McCorquodale & Co Ltd & had worked there for 19 years before joining up.

Will

I am indebted to you - thanks for sparing the time to reply to my post.

I have added the information to my database.

It is truly amazing what information is out there ! :)

Again Many Thanks

Woody

Hi Woody,

I have just bought a pair of medals to James S. Leitch KIA 16th HLI. I haven't yet researched him, but will hopefully make a start next week at the PRO. I will be reading and looking into the war diary, amongst other things. Would you like me to look anything up for you?

Or, as you mentioned in your post, if you have any info on James I would be grateful.

Alie.

Will

I am indebted to you - thanks for sparing the time to reply to my post.

I have added the information to my database.

It is truly amazing what information is out there ! :)

Again Many Thanks

Woody

Woody...........No problem............Glad to have been of some help :D

Hi Woody,

I have the WW1 Battalion History for the 16th H.L.I. (and the 15th & 17th.

If you would like anything looked up just let me know.

Ken.

Hi Thiepval,

Yeah sure I will have a look for you. I have a few other promised lookups, and I am not sure if I will get to the PRO next week. So if you are not in a hurry, it could be a couple of weeks, let me know which medal rolls you want me to look at.

Hi Ken,

Would you mind letting me know what the war diary says for 26 May 1918?

Thanks in advance.

Alie.

Guest thiepval

Thanks Alie

The names are James White private 16th HLI 14466

and Andrew More Barr 201252 l/cpl 1/7th HLI

This is really good of you

Woody

I've got some old photos do you have any of the various companies?

Hi Thiepval

I don't have any photos but would certianly like to look at any you have. Could you email them to me. I am undertaking research at the moment to try to identfy which Boys Brigade Companies and Churches original members of the 16th belonged to. Think it may take some time!

Any photos (particularly of the 16th) would be greatly appreciated.

Woody

Hi KAYJAY

Thanks or the offer of look ups in the 16th Battalion History I was luck enough to buy one a few months ago

Again thanks for the offer

Woody

Hi Ken,

Thanks in advance.

Alie.

Alie

From Battalion History -nearest entry to 26th May states that Battalion are in Trenches West of Blaireville. (from 22nd May). "All May and June of 1918, the latter of which concluded the 16th's stay in the Arras Sector, were occupied by the Battalion in hard trench digging with few intervals" - One particluar feat mentioned is the digging of the Windmill Switch Line.

I can look in the actual Battalion Diary on my visit to Glasgow later in April if you wish

Woody

Hi Ken,

Hi Alie,

The battalion history states that in April 1918 the battalion was made a Pioneer Battalion and moved on April 26th to Fosseaux, where on May 1 for a couple of weeks while took part in Musketry, Bayonet Fighting and Lewis Gun Training. the remainder of May & June 1918 were occupied by the battalion in hard trench digging in the Arras Sector.

It says that they began digging the Windmill Switch Line on May 6th and completed it the next day!.

Their last digging task was the new main defensive position called the red line on June 27.

Then they entrained at Longpre as a reserve battalion for for the Battle of Amiens on August 8th.

Ken.

Ken - do you have anything on a Private Thomas Simpson of Cullybackey Co. Antrim who won the military medal for carrying messages under fire? I believe it happened in 1917. Apparently he had been with the 16th HLI for two years at that time.

Can't understand how he ended up with this Btn. He was definitely a Mid-Antrim man and worked as a shoemaker in a local firm.

Anything appreciated.

Des

Des

The only info I have on Private Thomas Simpson is that his Regimental Number was 34093 and he was definately in the 16th Bn, HLI. He was awarded the Military Medal - London Gazette, 17th September 1917, page 9612 and he came from Culleybackey.

He is mentioned in the 16th War Diary as being awarded his MM on 23rd July 1917.

That's all I have

Regards

Woody

Many thanks - I am in contact with a local teacher who is researching Cullybackey area for me. I think he has some more.

Once again, cheers for taking the time out to help.

Des

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

HLI GUY

Info I have is as below - he is not specifically mentioned in the War Diary

14529 Sgt McBIRNIE, Robert 16th

Proceeded to France on 23rd November 1915 - 16th Bn Regimental History

Mentioned in Despatches - HLI Chronicle, January 1918, Page 28

MID - London Gazette, 12th December 1917

Mentioned in despatches by Field-Marshall Sir Douglas Haig, K.T., G.C.B., G.C.V.O., K.C.I.E., Commander in Chief of the British Armies in France for Distinguished and Gallant services between 20th February and 20th September 1917.

Regards

Woody

Woody

Here is a photo I've had for years. No prizes for guessing where it was taken. Have you seen it before?

By chance I was shown a photo yesterday of tunnellers taken in roughly the same location - does anyone have any ideas exactly where in Albert this is.

Regards

Simon

post-1722-1118583848.jpg

post-1722-1118583860.jpg

post-1722-1118583873.jpg