Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for info on Henry George Mancey

axe010170

Marc,

None of the PM's I've sent you are showing up in my 'Sent Items' and I've not received any PM's either so I'm wondering if my mails working properly. Have you received anything from me?

Regards

Martin.

Sorry for the delay in responding Martin, I've been trying to clear a bit of a backlog.

Posted below is the entry for Henry Mancey from the Hampshire Regiment 1914/15 Star medal roll which states 07/12/1915. To sum up the current situation on the date of death and who says what:

CWGC 31/12/1915

SDGW 31/12/1915

Death Certificate 07/12/1915

1914/15 Star medal roll 07/12/1915

The Hampshire Regimental Journal reports Henry Mancey as missing after the action at Kosturino on 07/12/1915. The Times 26/08/1916 then confirms Henry as previously missing, now reported died as a prisoner of war but no date is given.

The Death Certificate states cause of death as 'Died after operation whilst prisoner of war' which I take to mean a medical operation.

The fact that CWGC records consistently state 31/12/1915 as the date of death rules out any transcription error, which was my initial thought. It will be interesting to see what their further investigation reveals - personally I am now leaning towards 31/12/15 as being the correct date but let's see what CWGC come up with.

I will send you on via e-mail copies of the relevant journal entries / medal roll pages / Regimental history.

Marc

post-52-1245969240.jpg

I will send you on via e-mail copies of the relevant journal entries / medal roll pages / Regimental history.

Marc

Thanks Marc thats great, thanks again for all your assistance.

my e-mail..... axe1@btinternet.com

• 1 month later...
Sorry for the delay in responding Martin, I've been trying to clear a bit of a backlog.

Posted below is the entry for Henry Mancey from the Hampshire Regiment 1914/15 Star medal roll which states 07/12/1915. To sum up the current situation on the date of death and who says what:

CWGC 31/12/1915

SDGW 31/12/1915

Death Certificate 07/12/1915

1914/15 Star medal roll 07/12/1915

The Hampshire Regimental Journal reports Henry Mancey as missing after the action at Kosturino on 07/12/1915. The Times 26/08/1916 then confirms Henry as previously missing, now reported died as a prisoner of war but no date is given.

The Death Certificate states cause of death as 'Died after operation whilst prisoner of war' which I take to mean a medical operation.

The fact that CWGC records consistently state 31/12/1915 as the date of death rules out any transcription error, which was my initial thought. It will be interesting to see what their further investigation reveals - personally I am now leaning towards 31/12/15 as being the correct date but let's see what CWGC come up with.

Marc

Hi Marc,

I know you're busy but any chance of mailing me the above stuff to axe1@btinternet.com

Cheers

Martin.

• 1 month later...

Photos,where the soldiers from Hampshire Regiment were deployed before and during the battle with the Bulgarians. Kosturino Ridge, Crete Simonet, Kajali, Tatarli.

Check: www.salonikabattlefieldtour.com

• 5 months later...

MR

I have sought out any reference to the 10 Hampshires here as I found an Officer's Diary yesterday in the Reference Section of the Central Southampton Library.

A DIARY OF THE BALKAN FRONT 22.11.1915 to 16.10.1919 by DHB Harfield,a Southampton Solicitor who was commissioned into the 10th Hampshires and posted to Salonika. His many and fully descriptive postings home to his wife were later committed to a glossy publication by one of his children, who was later a Captain RM.

I shall return to the Library and record what it says about December 1915.

One thing that did stick in my mind was the fact that the battalion had to camp in the Struma Valley for some time,and found it very trying and debilitating due to the mosquitoes ! I had read previously about the toll on health that the Salonika campaign exacted.

For anyone interested in Officer portraits from this Battalion there are several pages of excellent ones of the whole complement.

Sotonmate