Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

new booklet by Grumpy on 'Trade' badges

Muerrisch

I have nearly finished a massive project to tabulate every one of the above from c. 1850 to 1945, using Clothing Regs, Royal Warrants, KR/QR, PVCN, and the ledgers of the Royal Army Clothing Department.

The tabulation will list EVERY official badge, date introduced, material, and changes thereto, together with end date.

It will take the form of a booklet. Not too sure about illustrations, as it does not necessarily depend on them

Question is, who would buy this reference for about £10 p&p UK included?

It takes over where Edwards and Langley ends, more or less

Please either reply here, or PM.

Put me down for one please - when whould you like the cheque sent?

you shall have copy number one!

Be a little while yet, I want to gauge uptake before the hard graft of polishing.

Thank you for your support, I shall wash it before wearing.

Cool wash is best for comfort I believe.

Put me down for copy number 2, then.

And copy Number 4, as I raced to buy the reissue of Edwards and Langley, remember!

Number 5 for me please.

Dave

... and No 6 please

Ian

Many thanks. Counting hands up on other fora to which I belong, thats nearly 20 in 24 hours. Looks like I am committed!

Profusely illustrated I trust. Yes please; living in India but will provide UK postal address.

Can I have one of the rarer non-autographed ones please?

Mick

Profusely illustrated I trust. Yes please; living in India but will provide UK postal address.

Illustrations are a problem, actually.

The original 'Edwards and Langley' was profusely illustrated and I have not got much in the way of new material. They would do two things on the downside: delay production substantially, and drive up costs. I am still chewing this matter over, and my mind is far from made up.

Hi Grumpy,

I'll take the next one - suitably monickered by your goodself.

Thanks,

Mike

Illustrations are a problem, actually.

The original 'Edwards and Langley' was profusely illustrated and I have not got much in the way of new material. They would do two things on the downside: delay production substantially, and drive up costs. I am still chewing this matter over, and my mind is far from made up.

Personally speaking, and if it were an option, I'd prefer to wait a bit longer and pay a bit more for the profusely illustrated version, autographed or not.

OK folks, you win .....

As a result of many representations on this and other fora, I have come to believe that the badges should, where possible, be illustrated. However, the production cost will inevitably be driven up, as better paper and process will need to be used.

Will members absorb another quid or two for an illustrated version, please?

OK with me Grumpy,

Thanks,

Mike

Grumpy,

Would you consider by chance including armelts/brassards? They are in many ways a war expedient extension of the trade and skills badges. With illustrations I would also like a copy signed by your good self.

Kindest,

Hendo

Will members absorb another quid or two for an illustrated version, please?

Certainly

Grumpy,

Would you consider by chance including armelts/brassards? They are in many ways a war expedient extension of the trade and skills badges. With illustrations I would also like a copy signed by your good self.

Kindest,

Hendo

There is, of course, an excellent armband/ brassard source on this forum. I am loth to add to the current project except perhaps to have an appendix listing descriptions ..... my badge booklet will have to be in greyscale or it gets prohibitive, and the essence of an armlet is colour. Also, I suspect that many Great War armlet types have disappeared without physical trace.

I would buy a booklet on armbands if someone produced it!

Grumpy

Please count me in, when is it likely to be available?.

John