Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lincolns TF

mikebriggs

Interesting! and you're quite right I was being very loose with Welsh topography B)

It wasn't until I looked this morning that I realised it was Conway

post-4619-1241783401.jpg

Just to add, this might be of interest, its part of a newspaper cutting i have showing some details of Camp in 1912 at Aberystwyth. BRONNO.

Mike

I am afraid i will not have access to my scanner until Sunday at earliest, but will post images then. The Lincs volunteers were definately at Conway in 1906. Interestingly i have a picture of the 1st Vol Band in 1906 and was looking to see if the white 'piping' mentioned by Grumpy went all the way round the uniform as in your men, but it does not appear to. Out of interest the Lincs volunteers were also at Scarborough in 1904, as in your N and D's list. As i am sure you are aware the Lincs Vols/Territorials (title depending on date) were also at Buxton in 1910 and as in the post above at Aberystwith in 1912. Afraid the following dates and camps are from memory as the file with the info in is badly filed (ie. i have searched but cannot find where i put it); 1907 Hunstanton; 1908 Skegness; 1909 Clarendon Park and 1911; 1913 Stoke Rochford (grantham) and 1914 Bridlington.

Cheers

Chris

The 1st Leicester Vol Bn Camp for 1904 31st July-7th Aug was in Leicester. 1906, 5th Aug-12th Aug Conway.

From Volunteer Camps 1904/06

Images mentioned earlier as promised

post-1012-1242031457.jpg

and

post-1012-1242031516.jpg

I don't want to sidetrack this excellent thread, but if anybody else has Conwy / Conway photo's I'd love a scan The school in which I teach is built almost on top of the site!!

Andrew, just got me a bit puzzled :wacko:

Looking at the photos I'd convinced myself that the Volunteer Camp must have been on the large flat area to the right of the main road as it leaves Conway tunnel and climbs up to the first tunnel through the hills (because you can see great orme in the background of least one of the photos). But I'd not noticed any buildings (school) on that land ?

What about the Volunteer campsite at Towyn?

cheers

Mike

Mike - you've got the right area. Today the area is a combination of golf course, residential and light industrial units. The A55 itself also cuts right through it. At it's fringe, almost adjacent to the exit (travelling west) of the tunnel, but not visible from the road, is the school. I did say almost on top of the site!

When / if I get time I'll try to get some photo's, a bit like the excellent then and now pictures running on a different thread.

Not sure exactly where the Towyn site was. I've never read a reference to it in the war years so presumably it was not used by 1914.

(Perhaps a new thread is in order on 'N. Wales Volunteer Campsites'? Your original thread has been sidetracked.)

Andy, thanks now know where you mean

new thread sounds good; a now and then perhaps?

will try to get something started

8. is really odd ...... he wears the single bugle badge, indicating that his battalion had 'buglers' rather than 'drummers'. His jacket is also odd, with shoulder straps. His stetson style hat harks to the days when SD was introduced without any firm guidance as to the headgear to wear with it.

I tend more and more to c. 1905 as a date.

GRUMPY, thanks for your posts. I am still still working through them and learing lots B) all very interesting.

PM me your e-mail and I will send high res .tiif scans of any individuals that you want

cheers

Mike

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On the list of encampments there is a mentio of Castleton 1903.... does anyone know whether that was Castleton, Derbyshire?

Matt, yes it is. The War Office aquired a site just outside of Castleton in Summer of 1903. By my reckonings it was be near Dunscar Farm

post-4619-1272279720.jpg

cheers

Mike