Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reburials Ypres

Aurel Sercu

thanks to Kate Aurel and Simon for your kind regards, I have sent you(aurel) an e mail but just replied to yours did you get it ok?

As i have said i am unsure about the protocols in situations like this I have a wreath of poppies to take with me, is it appropriate to place it on the grave with a memorial to my grandfather on the card as one of the missing or would this be in appropriate, can anyone advise me.

thank you

jim mccoy

Jim,

Laying a wreath certainly is not inappropriate, and I have been at reburials where it happened before. It will certainly be appreciated.

I'll introduce you to Barry Murphy (CWGC Ypres) at Track X Cem., and you can arrange for that.

I'll contact you off Forum in a separate email.

Aurel

• 2 weeks later...

I hope that this does not come too late, for members who intended to be present at the reburials on 30/4 at Track X and Cement House Cemetery and who may have already left for Ypres or Flanders.

For there has been a change in the programme, as I have just been informed.

In my initial thread (giving the information provided by CWGC Ypres) it was :

- Track X, reburial of 2 British soldiers, at 11.45

- Cement House Cemetery, reburial of 4 British soldiers, at 12.15

There has been a change with regard to the hour :

- Track X at 11.45 has remained as planned

- But Cement House Cemetery has been changed into 11.00 a.m. !

Sorry if this causes some inconvenience.

Aurel

This morning there were reburials of British soldiers at 2 CWGC cemeteries in the Ypres Salient.

At 11 a.m. there was a reburial at Cement House Cemetery (Langemark), of 4 men, found at Boezinge by the Diggers : Rifle Brigade (found on 6 Sep 2003), Rifle Brigade (18 Oct 2003), Somerset Light Infantry (15 Nov 2003), unidentified (21 Sep 2002).

Here are 4 of my photos.

(Photos of the reburial at Track X Cem. will follow soon.)

Aurel

post-4-1083329010.jpg

Aurel.

Great pictures - thank you for giving us all a front row seat to the proceedings.

Neil

Congratulations on such excellent pictures, Aurel, and thank you for sharing them with us so soon after the event. As you say, "at last, after almost 90 years."

Tom

Aurel I am proud to know you and some of the Diggers.

I am surprised the Union flag was touching the ground, that is a violation of flag etiquette in the USA. I am not being critical of those conducting the ceremony but just what I said, expressing surprise.

And a few more.

Track X Cemetery. 11.45 a.m.

Found by professional archaeologists last year, opposite the cemetery itself.

One of them no regimental identification, the other Northumberland Fusiliers. (Initially identified as W. Storey, 5/NF, but this later turned out to be premature.)

Aurel

post-4-1083333434.jpg

And the last one.

(Chris, I hope this is not overloading your system ? But I did my best to keep them within the limits of max. 550 or so wide.)

post-4-1083333746.jpg

How small the coffins are- the size of a child's.

Thank you Aurel.

Aurel,

Just to repeat what everybody else has said............thank you for sharing those moments with us, and excellent photos (as usual!)

Very moving.............

Steve

Thanks for posting the pics Aurel

Late again.....

But then thats expected of me ...

the photos are great and one day I really will get to be present.... thanks Aurel and the team

John

Guest jmccoy

Dear all

i would like to say thank you to aurel for all the assistance and help he has given me I attended the burial at track x to pay tribute to my grandfather a northumberland fussilier lost in the first ww. It was a very moving ceremony and an honour to be there. Thanks again to aurel who took the time to show me the places where my grandfather fought and died.

We also visited the Yorkshire trench which is facinating and well done to all involved with its excavation. Finally the last post ceremony at the menin gate was beautiful and moving on each occasion everyone should go at least once a very humble experience.

Jim and Pat Mccoy