Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reburials Ypres

Aurel Sercu

I have been informed by CWGC Ypres that on 30 April remains of British soldiers found in the past months will be reburied.

I thought that Forum members visiting the Salient in that period might be interested.

1 - The first reburial is at 11.45 at Track X Cemetery. This small cemetery is in the Moortelweg, opposite the IAP excavation site of last year, near the end of the A19 motorway. (Other reburials took place there some months ago.)

Remains of 2 soldiers (found by the IAP) will be reburied, one of them being the Northumberland Fusilier who was prematurely but wrongly identified some time in (or before) November last year. (There is a thread somewhere on the Forum about this misidentification.)

2 - The second reburial is right after the former, at 12.15, at Cement House Cemetery. This large cemetery (3,500 headstones) is on the road Boezinge - Pilkem - Langemark, a few hundred meters before entering the built-up area of Langemark (right hand side).

Remains of 4 casualties will be reburied. They were found by our team (Diggers) on the Boezinge Canal Site.

1. Rifle Brigade, found 6 September 2003

2. Rifle Brigade, found 18 October 2003

3. Somerset Light Infantry, found 15 November 2003

4. Unidentified Regiment, found 21 September 2002.

This fourth man indeed was found 19 months ago, a time longer than usual for a non-identified reburial. The reason is that it looked like there was a (small) chance of identification, a signet ring with initials (and an inscription 'From Mother') having been found with the remains. I myself have spent some time trying to find an ID based on this ring (and the hypothesis that he must have fallen in July 1917 and may have been a Royal Welsh Fusilier), but soon it became clear that this was hopeless. So it seems that CWGC has not been able either to come to a positive ID.

There is a short article about these ID attempts on our Diggers website www.diggers.be

This is a direct link to the article (see photos 57 and 58 in the series) :

http://www.diggers.be/E/fotoalbum/2002-2/body.htm

Hoping to meet some of you on 30 April at Track X Cem. or Cement House Cemetery.

Aurel

Aurel,

Was the misidentified Northumberland Fusilier William Storey of the 5th battalion?

I remember following that thread with interest but didn't realise that they had now retracted the idea that it was him.

Thanks for posting the info on the reburials, good to hear they will finally have a resting place.

Bob.

Bob,

Yes, it is the soldier of who it first was thought he was William Storey indeed.

Yesterday I was informed by a Forum member that there was an article in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle saying that the person who first thought that the found soldier was his grandfather will or would like to attend the reburial.

I have this scanned article, and as I think I have your e-mail address, I will forward it to you right after this. However, it is (very) poor quality. Maybe (almost) unreadable ?

Aurel

Aurel,

Recieved your e-mail, very interesting that the chap apparently is still planning to attend. Let's hope that he gets some sense of fulfillment if that's the right word from his visit.

Many thanks for interest and perhaps I will bump into you in May when I will be in Ypres.

Bob.

Aurel -

I've just linked to your remarkable "Diggers" site

Can you tell me where the "Yorkshire Trench & Dug-Out Site" is exactly and if it is possible to visit it?

Hi Derek,

Very simple.

Starting from Ieper (Ypres) :

- Do NOT take the Diksmuide road to Boezinge-village ! (Which is west of the canal, whereas YT&DO is east).

- Find the beginning of the canal, "Kanaal Ieper - IJzer", some 800 meters north of the town centre.

- Keep on the right bank (east bank) (Name = "Oostkaai")

- Continue for 2 miles.

- Turn right at the signposts 'Yorkshire Trench & Dug-Out' (not far from a tall metal chimney) into the "Bargiestraat", and you are on the industrial estate.

- Follow the road for approx. 400 meters.

And of course it's open all the year through...

Aurel

John,

You have no idea whenever someone asks me : 'Where is YT&DO ?' how hard it is for me to resist the temptation to reply : "Ask John W. He's a living gps system..."

That would be a bit too sarcastic, wouldn't it ? ;)

Aurel

Aurel

I must admit after all that trouble.. I still as now have a broad grin on my face and knew you would find it hard to resist my previous post....

:D

John

Aurel,

We'll be travelling from the direction of Langemark to a grave visit at Essex Farm cemetery.

In this scenario what would your directions be to find Yorkshire Trench?

I'm assuming that it is located in the area of the attached map?

post-4-1080896701.jpg

Derek,

Coming from Langemark :

Where the yellow road crosses the railroad (I mean what looks like a railroad, for now it is a cycling path !) turn left towards the canal. (There is a signpost "Ieper".)

Follow that road for 1200 m (3/4 mile).

And there you will see the (small) signposts Yorkshire Trench & Dug-Out.

I see after that you will continue to Essex Farm. Normally I would instruct : continue south on the east bank of the canal, and at the end (beginning of the canal) follow the big road and the red one on your map (= to Boezinge village and Diksmuide), and you'll arrive at Essex Farm... BUT ... there are roadworks when leaving Ypres (new roundabout) making things a bit complicated.

So I I were you, after YT&DO go towards Boezinge village, and right after crossing the canal (Boezinge bridge), turn left and continue south to Essex Farm Cem.

Good luck.

Aurel

Thanks Aurel :D

Hopefully we should be there on Thursday morning - if not then we got lost !! :blink:

Now even I could follow that (near number 26 i think)

John

I am back at work on 30th April.. can someone post some photos please?

:)

I was lucky enough to be present when the Diggers exhumed the British soldier with the ring and a fallen German. I’ve attached a couple of pictures of this most memorable day.

Aurel I hope you don’t mind, if so I will gladly delete these pictures as the Digger’s web page contains similar ones.

Jon

post-4-1080957887.jpg

The fallen being carried away from the field of battle. The police are there to take the remains to the proper authorities for possible identification and to check if the remains found are those of fallen soldiers and not those of murdered person.

post-4-1080959002.jpg

Jon,

No problem with the photos.

Just this correction. The ring on the photo is not 'the' ring. The soldier with the signet ring had been found many months before (21 Sep 2002).

Attached is a close-up of the ring with the initials L D D.

And before somebody says : "No wonder you did not find the identity, for these initials are not L D D but .... " : the initials are L D D indeed. It took me quite some time and energy (and the help of two jewellers-experts) at the time to convince others that there is no doubt about that.

The ID problem apparently is that these initials (and the ring) originally must not have been the soldier's but his father's, or mother's or wife's or ... And the inscription 'From Mother' inside of course is not much help.

Aurel

post-4-1080981583.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

HI , in relation to the topic of the burials on 30th April 2004, I am the chap who appeared in the evening chronicle, My grandfather was in the 2nd battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers and was lost on 24th May 1915.

The body now to be burried on 30/4/04 was first thought to be private storey who I believe was lost in 1917, this was later discounted(i don't know why )but experts at the scene now believe the soldier was lost in the second battle of Ypres in may 1915.

He has been identified as a soldier of the second battalion. The same as my grandfather after following the articles with great interest hoping the soldier would be positively identified (with the hope thet it would be my grandfather)the ministry announced that there was insufficient proof to positively id him further.

However I have always wanted to visit my grandfathers memorial and even if this was not him it was a 'pal in his regiment' and so we are travelling to attend the burial. I am quite a new member to this site, i will be taking photos should I post some on this site?

Jim McCoy

Jim

It is wonderful that this soldier has been found after all these years.

It is a pity that a definite identification could not be made but there would have to be absolute certainty. To me, it demonstrates great respect that such a rigorous investigation is carried out.

As you say, it is a Pal from your grandfather's regiment and it shows your own care and respect that you are attending for this unknown soldier and your grandfather.

I will be thinking about you on April 30th.

Another descendant of a Northumberland Fusilier (6th Battalion)

Kate

Hello Aurel.

I am sure that a ring,like this,with its marvellous engraving,must have had some Hallmark on it.

As far as i know,these are very traceable,in the UK.

The engraving,is very"Gothic",but the Hallmark,will pin it down to a year,without a doubt.

I remember the 2 page spread,in The Daily Mail,concerning Private Storey.

Nice to see another relative,on the Forum.

Welcome,Jim.

Knowing you,and the chaps,Aurel,i expect i am covering something you have already thought of,as regards the ring.

Shame i can't be there,on the 30th,but i will be thinking of them.

Best regards.

Simon.

I am sure that a ring,like this,with its marvellous engraving,must have had some Hallmark on it.

As far as i know,these are very traceable,in the UK.

The engraving,is very"Gothic",but the Hallmark,will pin it down to a year,without a doubt.

Simon,

The hallmark. Yes of course I paid attention to it. And quite easily found the manufacturer (Abros, Albury Bros, Birmingham ; still existing ; I was in (email) touch with them a couple of times.).

The year : 1911.

You can read about this in the article going with the photos of the ring on our website.

http://www.diggers.be/E/fotoalbum/2002-2/body.htm

(Scroll down to photos 57 - 58)

Aurel