Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fromelles1915 - May 9, 2009

Victoria Burbidge

Pete, thanks for this. There's a discussion currently running on the Fromelles July 19th thread regarding the merits (or lack of) of the list which has been released.

V.

Hi Victoria.

Your Ceremony details are being added to the Ypres Branch RBL web site today.

We are so pleased things are now moving forwards on behalf of this much needed Ceremony.

We are looking forward to being part of it!

Best wishes.

Chris Lock.

Ypres Branch RBL.

Thank you, Chris. You and your colleagues have been a tremendous help. I’ve been completely amazed at the amount of help and support which I’ve received from all directions. Heaven knows, it was needed!

I look forward to meeting you all on the day and to sharing it with you.

V.

A brief update on the arrangements for our 9th May service.

Despite having asked several times, I still haven’t received confirmation from my colleagues in Fromelles that parking will be provided close to the Australian Memorial Park. As soon as I’ve heard, I’ll post something here.

Several people have contacted me to ask if it would be possible to lay a wreath during the service. This is absolutely fine, but if I could be advised of this beforehand, I’d be very grateful.

And finally, Peter Barton has come up with a rather lovely idea. He’s suggested that every guest or relative bring a fist-sized stone/pebble in memory of the men or a particular man. We’d each place a stone during the wreath-laying part of the ceremony and lay the foundations for a memorial cairn! I'm hoping that, over the years, it will grow and we'll be able to look at it and say "We started that". It's a wonderful idea and it highlights the fact that there is currently no memorial or information panel there relating to the British. Four years of war and thousands of deaths - and nothing. This will be a good start. However, we will need to move the stones to the grass verge immediately after the service, so I will need to enlist the help of a couple of strong men.

V.

Beautiful and moving ceremony this afternoon at Fromelles ...

post-10155-1241910827.jpg

post-10155-1241911121.jpg

More...

More...

post-10155-1241911338.jpg

post-10155-1241911462.jpg

More...

More...

post-10155-1241911762.jpg

post-10155-1241911869.jpg

More...

post-10155-1241912299.jpg

Thanks Michel ... I saw Victoria there too :)

Bright Blessings

Sandra

More...

post-10155-1241912449.jpg

Victoria and Carole "at work"...

post-10155-1241912715.jpg

Many thanks for the pictures Michel. Attending this event one year is definately on my 'to do' list.

Neil

Bonjour!

What a weekend!

Victoria, many many deep and heart felt thanks for all the arranging that was done, from my view point the weekend was a TOTAL success, we have pictures and some video which we will be sharing via Youtube and Photobucket in the coming days :D

I was absolutely delighted to be a part of the service - and got quite emotional - to be treading the same ground as great great uncle Willie ( if Victoria will allow me to call him that :) )

A HUGE thank you to the Aussies for allowing us the venue, very very big hearted of them.

I was delighted to see so many people there .. great great uncle Willie, and all the other thousands of men are not forgotten, will not be forgotten.

Mark.

Hi all,

Can I please echo Mark's statements above. The weekend was excellent. I do not think there are suitable words available to express the thanks deserved to all concerned with organising the event, especially Victioria.

A big 'WELL DONE' to all concerned.

Mike B

Good to see so many forum members there for this years commemoration. A sterling effort, well done everyone.

Andy

Thanks for the great pictures - I have yet to get mine off camera.

Great weekend and ceremony and like Mark it was great to be part of the service and knowing that Gt Grandad and the rest of the soldiers who died on Fromelles soil would of been looking down on us.

Thanks again Victoria and all involved - Brilliant service and exhibition.

LizM

Lest we forget

Thanks, and well done Victoria,

It goes without saying, the commemoration was a great success and exceptionally well recieved by everybody, it was actually a great weekend.

I'd like to say thanks on behalf of myself and family to everybody who worked on the organisation, and to those who attended to make this the success it was. Especially to yourself Victoria and to Tim for all of your hard work, It wouldn't have happened without you. Also, thanks to Peter Barton and associates for their input. The exhibition was quite fascinating albeit very poignant considering the outcome of the battle 94 years ago.

It was also particularly heart warming, and actually, - quite humbling, to see the Australian military presence and their own acknowledgement for what, after all, was a British battle. A huge debt of gratitude is owed to the Australians by us all for their support with this I would say. Maybe we can work on having some of our own Military Top Brass there next year for the 95th, that would be a turnup for the books don't you think - to where, and to whom do I / we write?

Last but not least, how about the Ypres Pipe band and Last post association's contribution...?

Again, grateful thanks Victoria.

Eddie W.

Well done Victoria and all those involved in making the commemorative ceremony possible. A job very well done.

Thanks and regards,

Jonathan S

The 'Forgotten front' ? .. For those whose ancestry directly involved them, it never was.

For those of us who have only recently made the journey of 're-discovery' , your pioneering work and dedication is of tremendous importance.

One whose eyes have been opened ... and whose mind staggered at the enormity.

Des

Thanks Michel ... I saw Victoria there too :)

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Hello Sandra ;)

Victoria was a wonderful "master of ceremony"...

Cheers

Michel

Good weekend, and great to see so many members there.

Andy

You are right Andy,

and it was a great pleasure to meet you there

Cheers

Michel

You are right Andy,and it was a great pleasure to meet you there

Cheers, Michel

VIN DE DIEUCE!!!!!!

C'etait chouette t'avoir encore,non,toi et ta femme! Vraiment chouette.

Malheureusement,Chantal n'etait pas la mais,elle etait la on esprit.

Andy,great to see you again.Not so many of us that made the trip across the water for this weekend but,we did.Nice to see a young RGJ (younger :D )on this side of the water.

Black n Green drinkin machine B) .

I felt a bit of a fraud as my family were both there at Rouge Bancs but in 1914.Not that it matters as it was on these same fields.I owe Vic for the RBL wreath I layed &...it was great to be able to do that.1914 VC action but I didn't feel left out 'cos it was a 9th May thing as my uncle was just down the road/en route to Festubert from here.

He died the 16th May after having survived the front line nonsense of the 9th.

Vic,thanks again.

Dave.

ps.Nice to see so many forum mug shots there!

... and it was a great pleasure to meet you there

And a great pleasure to meet you too, Michel.

Congratulations and thanks to Victoria, and all who helped make it a very special day.

Mick

Dave and Mick !

j'ai passé un super moment avec vous deux !

ET... avez-vous remarqué : no more "very friendly" but now.... Cheers

Merci encore pour la leçon d'anglais !

au plaisir de vous revoir

Michel