Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hollebeke White Chateau

Aurel Sercu

@BillyH

As Aurel stated above: Do not mix up Hollebeke Chateau with Bayernschloß. The photography above was made from Hollebeke Chateau, not from Bayernschloß. Bayernschloß is the "White Chateau", that was property of the de-Mahieu family. It was located close to "The Bluff". The famous "Dammstrasse" ended there. My maternal grandfather fought there end of April 1918. He used the "Bayernschloß" as an observation post.

Henry

• 2 years later...

For anyone interested in the devastation caused to the White Chateau (north-west of Hollebeke), here are two aerial photographs taken by 6 Squadron as part of a "Battle of Messines" dossier of photos. With map coordinates of 28. O. 4. B and 28. O. 4. C respectively, the upper picture clearly shows the White Chateau and its outbuildings in the lower left portion of the photograph.

91MessWhiteChateau.jpg

@Starlight

Many thanks for posting these photographies. - Would it be possible for you to email them to me in a higher resolution? I would appreciate that very much.

Kind regards

Henry

17 hours ago, HenryTheGerman said:

@Starlight

Many thanks for posting these photographies. - Would it be possible for you to email them to me in a higher resolution? I would appreciate that very much.

Kind regards

Henry

Henry, Here are two more aerial photograph of the White Chateau (as well as Dammstrasse and Ravine Wood). If you send me a message via the 'Contact' page on my website, I will email you images that have a higher resolution.

Kind Regards

Steve

10MessIC-415-7975114small.jpg

12MessWhiteChateauGrounds.jpg

Edited by Starlight
Additional aerial photo of the White Chateau grounds, before and after the Battle of Messines

Steve, very interesting pics. Just to clarify, the upper one in the post 29 is the "other" White Chateau, the lower one is the "Hollebeke" White Chateau.

Must have been confusing at the time to have had 2 chateaux with the same name in close proximity.

Peter 

10 hours ago, mebu said:

Steve, very interesting pics. Just to clarify, the upper one in the post 29 is the "other" White Chateau, the lower one is the "Hollebeke" White Chateau.

Must have been confusing at the time to have had 2 chateaux with the same name in close proximity.

Peter 

Quite right, Peter. In my haste to add the second page of aerial photographs to my post, I omitted the important fact that the grounds photographs (before and after Messines) were taken of the Hollebeke White Chateau (28.O. 5. C) and not for the 'other' While Chateau (28.O.4). I have another page of aerial photos for the 'other' White Chateau if anyone is interested.

As a matter of interest, part of 6 Squadron's involvement at that time was ranging allied artillery on to German targets, often in the area around the Hollebeke White Chateau and the 'other' White Chateau. Confusing certainly for both the aircrew and the gunnery officers on the ground.

• 2 years later...
On 22/03/2017 at 12:25, mebu said:

To confuse matters further there appears to be a 3rd and a 4th White Chateaux (the 4th was in Potijze where the graveyard is currently). The third is located at H.29.a.5.8 on the Vijverbeek just south of Ypres. While maps show the details I've yet to find one which names it as such. Nevertheless in both personal accounts and war diaries that is the name that is given. It was used as billets and a small camp was built. Would anyone know anything about this White Chateau?

Edited by Esdorn