Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sandringham Company at Suvla Bay

AlanCurragh

Is anyone aware of any maps showing the actions of the 5th Norfolks at Suvla Bay on 12th August 1915? There is a very small and basic map in Nigel McCrery's book "All the King's Men" showing their starting position, just to the west of Azmak CWGC cemetery, the line of advance due east, the limit of their advance around 1/2 mile onwards, then the area where the bodies were found in 1919, a little further to the east (described by Pierrepoint Edwards as being in "Square 118 I"). If possible, I''d like to find a better map

Many thanks

Alan

Alan

I spent 4 days walking the Suvla battlefield area last year. Prior to going I tried to locate as many maps as possible but without much luck. However, based on McCrery's book, I walked in the direction that the Sandringham men attacked and took a few photos of the area. I stopped at a point where I could see the shepherd's hut and to walk further would have meant crossing a farmers field that I suspect was cultivated. As I'm always loathe to trespass on cultivated fields I retraced my steps to Azmak cemetery.

If you wish I can try and post the photos or send you copies.

Garth

Hi Garth - would love to see your pictures - I'm hoping we'll be able to follow in their footsteps next month. I'll send you a PM with my email address.

Many thanks

Alan

Alan

I do have an image of a map showing square 118-I, but its 3MB file size and therefore could not be posted on the forum. If you like to PM me with an email address, I could send it to you.

John

Thanks John - PM sent

Alan

I've now received a map of square 118 I - thanks again John.

I've read all the sources I can find, (McCrery, the documents by Raynor, Travis and Williamson, and the Azmak article on the IWM ewebsite) and I'm still uncertain where some of the key locations are. For instance -

- "a group of buildings that formed a small village/farm complex" where Colonel Beauchamp was last seen, urging on his men

- the gulley where the bodies were dumped after the Turkish farmer returned to his land in 1916

Can anyone help me identify where these sites are?

Many thanks

Alan

In the Spring 2009 edition of the Gallipoli Association journal, The Gallipolian, is the transcript of the address given at the East Anglian Regional lunch last June on "The Sandringham Becks at Gallipoli" given by Graham Beck. Captain Frank Beck was his grandfather's brother and Alec and Evelyn Beck were his father's senior first cousins.

Hi Alan,

The Norfolk Regiment Museum in Norwich may be able to help you. They had a really good exhibition on the Sandringham

Men awhile ago. Plenty of phots etc. Might have some maps.

The address is

Royal Norfolk Regimental Museum

Shirehall

Market Avenue

Norwich

NR1 3JQ

Tel 01603 493649

e-mail: regimental.museum@norfolk.gov.uk

They are very helpful

All best wishes

Diane

Could somebody please remember this was a brigade attack, Suffolks and Hants were also found strewn over the area of the battlefield. Although I have never seen a CWGC corpse distribution map of the area, if one was actually taken.

Gareth

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Moriarty - I've been thinking for a while of joining the Gallipoli Assoication - so this could be the spur I need!

Michael - we are indeed staying with Eric at Gallipoli Houses so hopefully will be able to take advantage of his expert knowledge. I was hoping to find some maps and precise idea of the terrain before we go.

Diane - thanks for that - I'll contact the museum

Gareth - I'm well aware of the involvement of the other battalions in the brigade and indeed their heavy losses. Also that the actions of the 5th Norfolks have unfairly overshadowed those of the Hants and the Suffolks. It's just that the reports I've seen suggest a group of buildings where Beauchamp rallied his men, and a gully where the bodies were found. Other threads on the forum suggest that these spots are both still identifiable, and I'd be very interested to try and find them

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan

I have just had a look at the area via Google Earth, It should be quite easy to find the buildings if they still stand, as the resolution is now much better since the last time I looked.

If you find them pop a couple of pictures on GE, that would be a big help to all.

Gareth

If you search on the net there used to be a good site showing the battlefield as it is today, Stand To had a long artical on the lost battalion some years ago, i also do have a photocopied diary of a man who was in the Sandringham battalion

best regards John

The 1/4th Norfolks saw action too, not just the 1/5th Battn.

Rob Carman

Ratty,

Have PM'd you.

Martin

Best easy source of Maps is the WFA DVD; otherwise you need to delve in various archives and rootle through all sorts of printed and sketched maps.

Thanks everyone for your replies, and especially to Martin for his PM.

I've overlain the various maps I can find (from the Travers article, the McCrery book and the one posted by Gareth above) onto Google Earth, together with Point 28 and the square 118 I where Pierrepoint Edwards found the bodies. I'll now add the detail from Martin regarding the likely position of the gully and farmhouse, and await some information that the Regimental Museum in Norwich are going to send me. Then it's off to the peninsula in early April, when hopefully I can take lots of photos.

Once we're back, I should hopefully be able to post a map showing where the sites are.

I am aware that I am concentrating on one small part of the brigade, but I find the way their story has developed fascinating. We will certainly be remembering all the men who went forward that day.

Alan

Once we're back, I should hopefully be able to post a map showing where the sites are.

Thanks for the offer to share Alan; looking forward to learning more on this episode

Have a safe journey and a great time

regards

Michael

• 2 months later...
Alan

I spent 4 days walking the Suvla battlefield area last year. Prior to going I tried to locate as many maps as possible but without much luck. However, based on McCrery's book, I walked in the direction that the Sandringham men attacked and took a few photos of the area. I stopped at a point where I could see the shepherd's hut and to walk further would have meant crossing a farmers field that I suspect was cultivated. As I'm always loathe to trespass on cultivated fields I retraced my steps to Azmak cemetery.

If you wish I can try and post the photos or send you copies.

Garth

may i request those pics,too?

thanks

Hi

Just to join the thread, I was over on the peninsula last March and together with the help of Eric and his Chelsea Tractor managed to get to Lala Baba and take some photographs of the landing place for the 6th Lincolns for a forthcoming publication on that Battalion.

Greetings 1 IG

Do you have any pics from Lala baba looking towards Scimitar Hill and W Hills. I can PM you an email address if you need it. It was too wet to get there when I was there in early May and Eric's 4x4 was on another mission.

John

PS Also badly need view from Kiretch T to Scimitar if anyone has one.

Hi Alan

Sorry for that (hit the wrong key!!), to continue regarding your quest, I was over on the Peninsula retracing some actions last March and with the help of Eric and his Chelsea Tractor managed to get through the mud to Lala Baba, and obtain photographs of the vista of the Salt Lake and Suvla Bay where the 6th Lincolns landed.

The important information for you is that "Linesman" will shortly be producing a Gallipoli addition to its already incredible France and Belgium maps for use with a GPS enabled PDA.

Eric informs me that the creators stayed with him at the Gallipoli Houses in September, and from my last contact with the Linesman team, they said early next year, 2010. It may pay you to visit their website and email them to get an update, they may even be able to give you infomation realating to what sort of coverage they will be giving to your area of interest, you will find it an extremely worthwhile tool, and the accuracy in France and Belgium is quite stunning, so I would expect it would be much the same for Gallipoli.

Greetings 1 IG

Do you have any pics from Lala baba looking towards Scimitar Hill and W Hills. I can PM you an email address if you need it. It was too wet to get there when I was there in early May and Eric's 4x4 was on another mission.

John

PS Also badly need view from Kiretch T to Scimitar if anyone has one.

Hi Alan

I am unsure if I have the photographs that you want, as my mission was to photograph the gravestone of Brigadier General Paul Kenna VC, DSO. for my own research (Leicestershire and Rutland Casualties), and then to photograph the Salt Lake and Suvla for the late Simon Shields, for his forthcoming book on the 6th Lincolns, his Grandfather won an MC while serving with that Regiment and landed at Suvla, sadly Simon passed away a few weeks after I had delivered the images to him, however whilst there I certainly took photographs in the immediate area and would be happy to forward you, or indeed anyone else a pdf file of the images, you can then select any photographs you want and I can then send you jpegs for you to print.

For anyone attempting to visit in winter and certainly up until late March time it is better to hire a Chelsea Tractor in Istanbul for the expedition than the Fiat saloon as in my case, as some of the areas are quite difficult to access due to the mud and the deep ruts left by other vehicles. To Eric I shall be eternally grateful for his help in allowing me to complete my mission!!

Hope that helps?

Michael

PS: Whilst there I took photographs of all the cemeteries and memorials, as I had to visit them all to trace casualties for my own publication.