Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sandringham Company at Suvla Bay

AlanCurragh

Michael

When will the 6th Lincolns book be published? My 9th Bn Sherwood Foresters were a sister Bn in 33rd Brigade.

Stevem

Michael

When will the 6th Lincolns book be published? My 9th Bn Sherwood Foresters were a sister Bn in 33rd Brigade.

Stevem

Hi Steven

Sadly the author, Simon Shields after returning from a trip to the Western Front in April 2008 took ill and in tragic circumstances passed away soon after, I understood from Simon that his book had been accepted for publication, and that it was almost fully completed, I am sure that the trip he had returned from, was in fact for finalising details for the book prior to its preparation for the publisher. I have spoken with his companions and fellow researchers to ascertain whether anyone will look to publishing the book posthumously, but so far I have received no positive responses.

Interestingly I have a five men with Leicestershire connections that served in the 9th Sherwood Foresters who I am also researching, they died on 9th and 21st August, 28th September and the 27th November 1915 respectively, I have photographs of their names all inscribed on the Helles Memorial with the exception of one who is buried in Azmak Cemetery and I have photographed his gravestone.

Michael

Let us hope that after all of his work, it will be published.

Samuel Palmer who enlisted at Mansfield and address in Blaby died on November 27th as a result of the Storms, floods etc. The 9th Bn had been relieved by 6th Lincolns on 24th November.

I visited all of my men last year. I spent an hour at Azmak whilst others went looking for the Sandringham men! It was a very moving time. I was hoping to take a photo of the cemetery to match with one I have from the 20s but the trees were in the way.

Steve M

Let us hope that after all of his work, it will be published.

Samuel Palmer who enlisted at Mansfield and address in Blaby died on November 27th as a result of the Storms, floods etc. The 9th Bn had been relieved by 6th Lincolns on 24th November.

I visited all of my men last year. I spent an hour at Azmak whilst others went looking for the Sandringham men! It was a very moving time. I was hoping to take a photo of the cemetery to match with one I have from the 20s but the trees were in the way.

Steve M

Hi Steve

I cannot understand the connection that Samuel Palmer has with Mansfield in Nottinghamshire, I know he was born in Hose, Leicestershire, and his family lived in Blaby, again Leicestershire, but he does not appear on either of those villages war memorial. Is he commemorated in Mansfield at all? I would be interested to know a little more about him.

Michael

I have found no reason for him being at Mansfield when he joined up, sorry.

Possibly he was working there. I would have thought that if he wanted to join the N&D Regiment, Nottingham would have been closer!

Might be worth starting another thread asking for info on the Mansfield memorial.

Steve

• 3 months later...
I have found no reason for him being at Mansfield when he joined up, sorry.

Possibly he was working there. I would have thought that if he wanted to join the N&D Regiment, Nottingham would have been closer!

Might be worth starting another thread asking for info on the Mansfield memorial.

Steve

Hi all

My great grandfather was Samuel James Palmer who died on the 27th November 1915 at Gallipoli. He signed up at Mansfield because he was living at Blidworth with his wife and children from 1903. After his joining up his wife went to live with her family at Blaby. His family of course were still at Hose. His name appears on a memorial with others who fell at Blidworth parish church.

Hope this helps

Celestine

Hi all

My great grandfather was Samuel James Palmer who died on the 27th November 1915 at Gallipoli. He signed up at Mansfield because he was living at Blidworth with his wife and children from 1903. After his joining up his wife went to live with her family at Blaby. His family of course were still at Hose. His name appears on a memorial with others who fell at Blidworth parish church.

Hope this helps

Celestine

I understand that your Gt/Grandfather died as a result of severe weather conditions whilst serving in the support line at Suvla, in Gallipoli and was one of several other men to die in this way on this day.

Was your great grandfather a railway worker and did he at one time live on Main Street in Blidworth? I am researching a photo i recently came across who i believe to be of 2/Lt Paull who died on the same day. regards, BRONNO.

I understand that your Gt/Grandfather died as a result of severe weather conditions whilst serving in the support line at Suvla, in Gallipoli and was one of several other men to die in this way on this day.

Was your great grandfather a railway worker and did he at one time live on Main Street in Blidworth? I am researching a photo i recently came across who i believe to be of 2/Lt Paull who died on the same day. regards, BRONNO.

Hi he was an engine cleaner at the time of his marriage, but at the time of his enlignlistment he was a colliery shaft sinker. He was also noted as being a general labourer in the 1901 and 1911 censuses. According to family he didn't have to join up as his job and age exempt him at the time, however his younger brother George joined up, also the Sherwood Foresters (2nd Battalion) and Samuel went with him. George was killed in August 1915 in Belgium not long before Samuel. I believe they may have lived at Main Street, however I have no proof of this. I know that they lived at Mount Pleasant, Blidworth in 1914 at the time my grandmother was born. His death certificate states that he was killed in action. I understand from experts on the subject and the many books I have about the Gallipoli campaign that although the ice storm and rain may have been the overriding factor there was still enemy fire and it looks like Samuel may have succumbed to this rather than the weather that day. But as the diaries do not mention the lower ranks I do not have anything over than the death certificate to go on. Incidently Samuel's papers are amongst the burnt papers in the archives. We have nothing of Samuel's amongst family papers, no photos even. After his death the family were pulled apart and I have spent a good ten years researching what happened next. Good luck with the photo. Best wishes Celestine.

Hi he was an engine cleaner at the time of his marriage, but at the time of his enlignlistment he was a colliery shaft sinker. He was also noted as being a general labourer in the 1901 and 1911 censuses. According to family he didn't have to join up as his job and age exempt him at the time, however his younger brother George joined up, also the Sherwood Foresters (2nd Battalion) and Samuel went with him. George was killed in August 1915 in Belgium not long before Samuel. I believe they may have lived at Main Street, however I have no proof of this. I know that they lived at Mount Pleasant, Blidworth in 1914 at the time my grandmother was born. His death certificate states that he was killed in action. I understand from experts on the subject and the many books I have about the Gallipoli campaign that although the ice storm and rain may have been the overriding factor there was still enemy fire and it looks like Samuel may have succumbed to this rather than the weather that day. But as the diaries do not mention the lower ranks I do not have anything over than the death certificate to go on. Incidently Samuel's papers are amongst the burnt papers in the archives. We have nothing of Samuel's amongst family papers, no photos even. After his death the family were pulled apart and I have spent a good ten years researching what happened next. Good luck with the photo. Best wishes Celestine.

Could your George be number 8647 George William Palmer killed at Sanctuary Wood 9th August 1915. <_< BRONNO.

Could your George be number 8647 George William Palmer killed at Sanctuary Wood 9th August 1915. <_< BRONNO.

Thats the one, Sams little brother. Cele

• 11 years later...
On 13/10/2009 at 06:47, Dawn_Hadfield said:

Hi all

Hope this helps

Celestine

Hello ,I'm trying to reach Celestine,  sounds like we have the same great grandfather. 

My name is Linda and I am Thomas James Palmers granddaughter. 

Any help would be appreciated!

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @Dawn_Hadfield/Celestine hasn’t visited the forum since November 2009. You could try sending her a private message. Whether she receives it is dependent on her still using the same email address now as she was then. 
Michelle