Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC Uniform Question

juliusation

As suggested by Andrew, I wish to carry out a self-modification. Do you people think this Canadian piece will do the job? (althought there are pips on shoulder strap) If not, any recommended good website to find and buy original WW1 officer's tunic?

http://www.greatwar.com/scripts/prodView.a...dproduct=465138

Well, from a practical point of view it would certainly be an excellent candidate for conversion to cuff-rank - on moral and price grounds though it seems like far too nice and costly example of a genuine example to be messing about with though. Similar but later tunics in the sort of condition that means getting them converted won't incurr the wrath of collectors around the world can still be found in wearable sizes for about £35-50. It's just the trick of finding one in your size.

Me too. Cavalry frippery if you ask me. Herewith...

Thanks for that, certainly a very dandy Officer who must have bought it!

• 7 years later...
Guest Courtney
On March 12, 2009 at 00:08, juliusation said:

Group_of_CEF_Officers.JPG

This is quite an old post, but this picture is the first I've found that relates to a question I've been trying to sort out. I've been trying to search all over, but nothing seems to detail an answer.

In the above photo most of the officers seem to be wearing slightly different color shirts and ties, though it could just be due to the old photograph. The man on the bottom left, however, is noticeably wearing a different color shirt and tie - darker shirt, light tie - that is almost the reverse of the norm - light shirt, dark tie.

Is this a sign of something in particular? Did Scottish officers wear different color shirts and ties? I assume that RAMC officers, even if from Scotland, would wear the same cuff insignia as the British, as opposed to the usual Scottish insignia.

I'm American, so please forgive me if I'm using incorrect terms for anything. I'm trying to sort out some questions related to a Scottish relative that served in WWI, but I don't have the photograph to offer as reference.

Hello Courtney, and welcome to the Forum!

"Black and white" photos of that era tend to show unexpected shades, compared with what modern monochrome pictures show. The tie on the man at bottom left was probably less light than it appears. Nevertheless, officers' shirts and ties were privately purchased so you do see a wide range of variations.

Officers of the same regiment were expected to conform to a regimental standard, by using the same tailor, but I suspect that the RAMC was less strict in this respect. There were no special variations for Scottish units other than infantry.

Ron