Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC Uniform Question

juliusation

Hi, here's the first question from a new mwmber, please help as I need to gather information of a WW1 British Officer's Uniform, RAMC.

1. What kind of collar badge were they wearing? RAMC or general issue one?

2. As see from old pictures they wore wound stripes. What is the EXACT positon to put on the left cuff according to regulation?

Cheers,

Julius

If the uniform is Service dress he would be wearing Bronze RAMC collar badges. If he was in a TF unit, then he would normally wear small letter 'T's under the collar badge, these were in Bronze as well.

I am not 100% sure where exactly the wound stripe was worn, looking at period photo's, they seem to have been worn in a number of distances from the cuff. On officers tunics, this seems to depend on whether the rank is worn on the cuff or shoulder strap.

Welcome to the forum,

Stewart

2. As see from old pictures they wore wound stripes. What is the EXACT positon to put on the left cuff according to regulation?

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...=wounded+stripe

"In the case of officers, the lower end of the first strip of gold braid will be immediately above the upper point of the flap on cuff" - so depending on whether the Officer was wearing a cuff ranked tunic or a shoulder ranked tunic with the Lancer V-shaped cuffs could affect where the Wounded Stripes were placed to a small degree. Having also seen the odd Officer tunic with plain sleeves (no V-cuff) I would imagine in such a case they would simply follow the OR's advice (ie central on the sleeve, base to be three inches from the bottom of the cuff).

For more details, here is the picture. I believe they were wearing service dress, right? If not, please correct.

1. Where can I find a pair of WW1 RAMC collars, can I use cap badges instead? As I was searching on the net I found it's quite rare. Also, people are not quite keen on distinguishing collar and cap badges.

2. Referred to the picture again, for officer's cuff ranked tunic. Is "lower end of the first strip of gold braid will be immediately above the upper point of the flap on cuff" applies here? It seems that's a bit confused for "upper point of the flap on cuff".

Just want to make things a bit more clear, thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Julius

post-44631-1236838010.jpg

A fellow called Lew Shotton has a badge website, he may have a pair of bronzed collar badges. Or you could try some of the online Auction sites. RAMC should not be too hard to get. I would not use cap badges if I were you, Officers cap badge should have two fold over blades on the reverse, and O/R's collars and cap badge would be in Brass, so are the wrong colour.

Regards,

Stewart

The picture refers to the position of the wound stripe...i hope.

Mick

The picture refers to the position of the wound stripe...i hope.

Mick

Yeah, the picture indicating cuff ranked officers with wound stripes. They are from CEF.

It drew me another question, as far as I know RAMC officers' pips and crowns have maroon-coloured backing cloth. Can someone tell me what colour backing for RAAMC (Royal Australian Army Medical Corps)? As I have ordered a WW1 British officer's tunic from Replicaters, but insignia and badges not included. I wounder in case I can't make up a Brit (RAMC) version. Then I can go for Aussie (RAAMC) alternatively.

By the way, I need RAMC / RAAMC buttons, right? Can I use British General Service instead?

Thanks in advance,

Julius

For more details, here is the picture. I believe they were wearing service dress, right? If not, please correct.

1. Where can I find a pair of WW1 RAMC collars, can I use cap badges instead? As I was searching on the net I found it's quite rare. Also, people are not quite keen on distinguishing collar and cap badges.

2. Referred to the picture again, for officer's cuff ranked tunic. Is "lower end of the first strip of gold braid will be immediately above the upper point of the flap on cuff" applies here? It seems that's a bit confused for "upper point of the flap on cuff".

Just want to make things a bit more clear, thanks in advance.

As has been mentioned, for point 1 cap badges are different to collar badges, the latter tend to be smaller and come in matched pairs. With RAMC it shouldn't be that difficult to find a nice matched pair of original bronzed Officers collars - just make sure you get a correct WW1 set (I believe during the war the scroll at the bottom had "Royal Army Medical Corps", and the Latin inscription "In Arduis Fidelis", ie Faithful in Adversity, is a later change).

For point 2, to make it clearer I have taken a picture of sleeves of my two tunics I use for WW1 living history with an original metal Wounded Stripe in the correct position on both (it should be noted it is deliberately backwards though, to keep the correct position without me having to make the necessary holes to fix it the right way round!):

Pq1u5MD9.jpg

aV1r_bg9.jpg

It drew me another question, as far as I know RAMC officers' pips and crowns have maroon-coloured backing cloth. Can someone tell me what colour backing for RAAMC (Royal Australian Army Medical Corps)? As I have ordered a WW1 British officer's tunic from Replicaters, but insignia and badges not included. I wounder in case I can't make up a Brit (RAMC) version. Then I can go for Aussie (RAAMC) alternatively.

By the way, I need RAMC / RAAMC buttons, right? Can I use British General Service instead?

Coloured backing for rank pips is a post-war thing, ordinary khaki cloth pips or plain/enamelled metal rank pips would have been used.

You would most likely have been sporting privately purchased buttons of regimental (ie RAMC) pattern, so if you do this then again make sure they are correct for Great War (and not the post-war type again). Pressed and woven leather buttons were also common for front-line tunics (as they didn't reflect light like polished metal buttons).

Unfortunately, I have seen two cuff-rank tunics made by Replicators, and both have been laughably bad. Pictures on their site are stolen from all over the web and are mostly of original items - they mostly look nothing like what you'll receive in the post. If it's not already too late I would seriously say cancel your order, it'll save disappointment in the long run.

Thanks for your reply Andrew, it really ease my mind after all. As in Hong Kong, there is virtually no source of getting these information, and people here rarely have any knowledge about WW1 stuff.

Unfortunately, I have seen two cuff-rank tunics made by Replicators, and both have been laughably bad. Pictures on their site are stolen from all over the web and are mostly of original items - they mostly look nothing like what you'll receive in the post. If it's not already too late I would seriously say cancel your order, it'll save disappointment in the long run.

A good news that came too late, I have contacted them but just can't cancel the order.....too late. I was searching on the net for the last few months, but Replicaters seems the only choice now and then, I'm really obsessed (addicted?) with WW1 stuff at the moment. Can you recommed me some reputable site / shop to buy a copy WW1 Brit Officer's Tunic, with insignia and buttons preferrably please?

Million and million thanks,

Julius

A good news that came too late, I have contacted them but just can't cancel the order.....too late. I was searching on the net for the last few months, but Replicaters seems the only choice now and then, I'm really obsessed (addicted?) with WW1 stuff at the moment. Can you recommed me some reputable site / shop to buy a copy WW1 Brit Officer's Tunic, with insignia and buttons preferrably please?

Sadly, a source of a good all-new replica of a cuff-rank tunic is one of the things that's still very elusive. The example pictured earlier is a conversion of an original post-war tunic, which is still the best way to go at present. What you need to do is locate an original post-WW1/interwar/early WW2 Officers Service Dress tunic in a size that fits you. It should have lower bellows type pockets, pleated upper pockets, and cuffs without buttons. The fewer holes for shoulder rank in the epaulettes the better (mine was never pierced for shoulder rank, a real bonus). Then it's simply a matter of getting the sewing machine out (or finding a good taylor), removing the extra layer of material that typically forms the V-shape on the cuff, and creating the extra three-pointed flap of material for the pips to be sewn onto, edged with braid, and sewn onto the cuff in the right place with the appropriate number of horizontal bands of braid for the rank depicted.

I have a set of slightly better instructions and illustrations for all that, can get it put if if it would help?

I have a set of slightly better instructions and illustrations for all that, can get it put if if it would help?

Dear Andrew,

Of course this will helps a lot, I'll be much appreciated, please supply the information at your convenience.

One other thing, I have checked a site called Sutlers in UK they also sell repro WW1 officer's tunic. But it looks different than originals: colour, collar area, the waist is a bit long, pips are a bit too big and the overall cutting looks stupid (i.e. the edges and rim area not as sharp as original). However, I heard it received a lot of good comments from various posts. Do you think this one is reliable and reputable?

Thanks again for your reply,

Julius

post-44631-1237025875.jpg

Of course this will helps a lot, I'll be much appreciated, please supply the information at your convenience.

One other thing, I have checked a site called Sutlers in UK they also sell repro WW1 officer's tunic. But it looks different than originals: colour, collar area, the waist is a bit long, pips are a bit too big and the overall cutting looks stupid (i.e. the edges and rim area not as sharp as original). However, I heard it received a lot of good comments from various posts. Do you think this one is reliable and reputable?

Instructions and illustration to help should be below - I have to apologise for the quality in advance, as these are scans of very old and not terribly good photocopies of the originals which were sent to me a good many years ago:

Pq1EakgJ.jpg

gx24L9U0.jpg

The Sutlers tunic is only a slight improvement on a Replicators tunic. For some reason they simply cannot tailor collars correctly. The rest of the general cut and fit compares poorly to originals. The pips are really off, and whilst the braid isn't too bad the way it's been done is very crude (originals have the braid "pointed" very neatly).

Like I said, best bet is still to go down the conversion route yourself, or keep an eye out for one already done, they do turn up for sale on Ebay and the like sometimes (mine came from Ebay via another WW1 reenactor having to sell on the one he'd outgrown).

First of all, thanks very much for your kind assistance Andrew. Actually I have a WW2 era RM Lovat, can I convert it to WW1? Will the colour be very different? Here I attached the cuff section of the Lovat for reference:

post-44631-1237141133.jpg post-44631-1237141147.jpg

Also, I can only see the front side of your WW1 cuff, do you have a picture that shows the back side (like the second picture I posted) as well? Since I already have an idea on what the front side looks like with your scans. However, I never see the other side before which puzzles my mind in case of self-modification.

Million thanks again,

Julius

First of all, thanks very much for your kind assistance Andrew. Actually I have a WW2 era RM Lovat, can I convert it to WW1? Will the colour be very different? Here I attached the cuff section of the Lovat for reference:

Also, I can only see the front side of your WW1 cuff, do you have a picture that shows the back side (like the second picture I posted) as well? Since I already have an idea on what the front side looks like with your scans. However, I never see the other side before which puzzles my mind in case of self-modification.

On the first part the colour should be fine, well within the variations that can be found. However, in this case it isn't suitable for conversion as, per the instructions, "The SD jacket should have unpleated box cuffs with no provision for button holes."

For the second, I have taken a couple of pictures to show how the braid should appear:

Pq1Jp_VS.jpg

Pq1Jpuv0.jpg

"The SD jacket should have ...... cuffs with no provision for button holes."

Unless you were a fancy dan like this 16th Lancer captain...

FancyDan.jpg

Best wishes,

GT.

Unless you were a fancy dan like this 16th Lancer captain...

FancyDan.jpg

Best wishes,

GT.

Fascinating, the first one I've ever seen like that! Do you have any more general shots of the tunic?

Hi, here's the first question from a new mwmber, please help as I need to gather information of a WW1 British Officer's Uniform, RAMC.

1. What kind of collar badge were they wearing? RAMC or general issue one?

Cheers,

Julius

Hi Julius

I saw these on ebay and thought they might be of interest to you?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-of-R-A-M-C-Terr...A1%7C240%3A1318

Good luck

Dave

Hi Julius

I saw these on ebay and thought they might be of interest to you?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-of-R-A-M-C-Terr...A1%7C240%3A1318

Good luck

Dave

Dear Dave,

Thanks for your search, I wish to acquire a pair of this for a long time. I keep searching on ebay everyday but still can't find it. Must be a new item then, already bookmarked.

As suggested by Andrew, I wish to carry out a self-modification. Do you people think this Canadian piece will do the job? (althought there are pips on shoulder strap) If not, any recommended good website to find and buy original WW1 officer's tunic?

http://www.greatwar.com/scripts/prodView.a...dproduct=465138

Cheers,

Julius

Fascinating, the first one I've ever seen like that! Do you have any more general shots of the tunic?

Me too. Cavalry frippery if you ask me. Herewith...

56_1_b.jpg

ff_1_b.jpg

Best wishes,

GT.

Me too. Cavalry frippery if you ask me. Herewith...

56_1_b.jpg

ff_1_b.jpg

Best wishes,

GT.

Just wondering why this Captain wear a Colonel's gorget?

Cheers,

Julius

He's not - they're Staff tabs.

Best wishes,

GT.

Oh really??? It seems I need to learn more and more....but I have a Colonel's gorget that looks very similiar to this one, could you tell me the difference please?

Cheers,

Julius