Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H.M. Whaler "Blackwhale."

Kevin Stillyards

Interesting photo of Gordon William Gage on the Virtual War Memorial.  he is wearing the very rare "wavy" white stripes on his blue collar, these are very seldom seen in period photos.

The articles is incorrect in saying he was R.C.N.V.R. That is the post 1923 Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve.  During the Great War it was R.N.C.V.R. = Royal Naval Canadian Volunteer Reserve.

As his body was never recovered his name appears on the Halifax memorial.

Wm Gage would have been entitled to the British War & Victory medals, the Canadian Mothers Cross of Sacrifice, & the bronze memorial plaque, all of which would have been send in the early 1920's to his n.o.k. (next of kin) likely his mother, Mrs Kate Gage.  This information would be on his RNCVR Service record which would have to be ordered from National Archives of Canada in Ottawa.  Naval records are not (unlike CEF records of service) available to order online.  It may happen in future if the funding is in place to digitize several thousand RCN & RNCVR records.

Thanks for posting @Ian Henderson, I enjoyed reading the articles,

Best w ...Bryan

• 5 months later...

Hello, I am a new member and have some information on the Blackwhale which I expect might be quite interesting to those following this subject.  My late husband, Ted Huffman spent many hours researching the topic because his father, Henry Huffman, was a survivor of the sinking of the Blackwhale.  I see some posts on here by Ted, back in 2008.  Four years and much research later, he produced an account of the sinking of the Blackwhale in a story format.  It is about 7 pages in length with lots of detail.  As I don't know the rules of the site, there may be some restrictions for a document like this.  Please let me know if this would be acceptable and I would be happy to share it.

Ann Huffman

• Admin

Never a good idea to put your email address on a public forum. Spammers do visit ( we’ve had a lot recently) and gather information like that.