Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Action near Arras - 28/3/18

stephen p nunn

and this is taken from Bailleul Post looking towards your area. As you can see its basically a flat plain running down to the R Scarpe.

Bob

post-11115-1265152446.jpg

QUOTE (Bob B @ Feb 2 2010, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and this is taken from Bailleul Post looking towards your area. As you can see its basically a flat plain running down to the R Scarpe.

Bob

post-11115-1265152446.jpg

Thank you Bob - it was kind of you to post these views - my first look at the area where Ted was KIA.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

• 1 month later...
Perhaps not relevant but reading (at 4am today) Sapper Martin's diary entry 23.3.18 he notes seeing a parade of a battalion of the Essex Regt. All that had come back were the Colonel,one NCO and thirty men. The Colonel wasvisibly moved as he addressed the men ,half choked and tears streaming down his face.Martin did not know who he was but wrote that he would never forget him. The diaries give some idea of the chaos which ensued from the German breakthrough. They are excellently written and well worth perusing. Edited by Richard Van Emden, I can recommend the book.

Ron - just finished this book - excellent (as usual with Richard Van Emden's stuff). I found the entry that you mention. As you say it is dated 23/3/18 and I assumed it related to the 2nd Battalion. The trouble is my ancester Ted (see signature below) was apparently KIA with the 2nd on the 28/3/18 (5 days later). Odd? Any thoughts anyone?

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Maldon - found this for 28 March 1918, which shows the battle had continued to rage:-

"Western Front

Great German attack on wide front north and south of Scarpe river defeated with very heavy loss.

Between Somme and Avre rivers Germans advance, reaching Hamel.

Strong French counter-attacks gain ground near Montdidier and between Hainvillers and Pont l'Eveque (Oise)."

http://www.firstworldwar.com/onthisday/1918_03_28.htm

I managed a few photos of the area Maldon but it was hard to get a good overall impression of the area with the motorway junction slap in the centre.

The first 2 photos are taken from just north of the bridge over the motorway at point 72 (the bridge itself is tree bound), the first towards the junction, the second towards the north east.

I then drove over to the small road which connects Gavrelle with Plouvain and goes over the railway at point 69 and took some photos from the bridge over the motorway at point 73. The first is towards the peage, the second showing the broken ground inside the junction, the third north east again from over the motorway, Fresnes in the distant left, the last towards the south with the slip road on the right of photo.

I'm not sure they help very much.

post-28845-1268496027.jpg

post-28845-1268496066.jpg

post-28845-1268496105.jpg

post-28845-1268496132.jpg

post-28845-1268496160.jpg

Maldon - found this for 28 March 1918, which shows the battle had continued to rage:-

"Western Front

Great German attack on wide front north and south of Scarpe river defeated with very heavy loss.

Between Somme and Avre rivers Germans advance, reaching Hamel.

Strong French counter-attacks gain ground near Montdidier and between Hainvillers and Pont l'Eveque (Oise)."

http://www.firstworldwar.com/onthisday/1918_03_28.htm

Thank you very much Verrico - that's good of you. So looks like he survived the event that the aftermath was observed in the diary but got KIA a few days later as the battle continued.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

post-28845-1268496280.jpg

Jim

Many thanks Jim - this is very kind of you. Very moving - looking at these fields and thinking Ted was KIA here somewhere.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon