Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Action near Arras - 28/3/18

stephen p nunn

Dear all - one of the chaps mentioned in my signature (below) - Lance Corporal William Edward (Ted) LAST (12446) 2nd Battalion Essex Regiment was KIA in the Arras Sector on Thursday 28/3/1918. Friends on the forum have shared the War Diary with me for that day and I am now keen to visit the actual place where he died. Has anyone any idea where that might be - map wise etc?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

SPN

Maldon

Do the diary entries name any trenches or places that might narrow things down?

Jim

Do the diary entries name any trenches or places that might narrow things down?

Jim

Thanks Jim - the enemy break through at 7.40am involved an advance down CHILI and Bn. Hdqrs. were withdrawn to junction of CHILI, HARRY and HUSSAR.

SPN

Maldon

Hi

Not easy this as the front was to the east of here in 1918 and I don't have a trench map showing all the rear trenches. I do have one from later 1918 after the Germans had overrun the area and it still has the old trench names. So I am assuming they are exactly as they were in March in which case you can see the course of Chilli Avenue and the area where Harry and Hussar are.

post-28845-1236544939.jpg

I will now post modern maps with the red line on - courtesy of Linesman's superb software!

First the same area.

post-28845-1236545025.jpg

Now a little further out to give you bearings of where you can find the area.

post-28845-1236545096.jpg

Hope these help you walk the area a little. The cemetery near the trenches is actually Chilli Trench. It makes me a little dubious about whether the diary is talking of a Chilli Trench or Chilli Avenue but I think the area is where your Malden man will have died.

When you get out to the area I hope you enjoy the trip - I love the whole region so I'm biased! :rolleyes:

Jim

Now a little further out to give you bearings of where you can find the area.

post-28845-1236545096.jpg

Hope these help you walk the area a little. The cemetery near the trenches is actually Chilli Trench. It makes me a little dubious about whether the diary is talking of a Chilli Trench or Chilli Avenue but I think the area is where your Malden man will have died.

When you get out to the area I hope you enjoy the trip - I love the whole region so I'm biased! :rolleyes:

Jim

Jim - this is fantastic. I am going to get myself out there ASAP and try and pinpoint the spot where Ted and his mates made the ultimate sacrifice. Thanks very much for all your help.

SPN

Maldon

Maldon

I have a 56th Divison map marked as showing the trenches & posts on 28/3/1918. They held the front from Gavrelle northward on that day.

I can confirm that Jim' maps are correct. The 'Red Line' ran down through Trent Trench and I think through Stoke Ave.

Bob

PS I have previously posted quite a lot of info about the 56th involvement in the Mars offensive.

QUOTE (Bob B @ Mar 9 2009, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maldon

I have a 56th Divison map marked as showing the trenches & posts on 28/3/1918. They held the front from Gavrelle northward on that day.

I can confirm that Jim' maps are correct. The 'Red Line' ran down through Trent Trench and I think through Stoke Ave.

Bob

PS I have previously posted quite a lot of info about the 56th involvement in the Mars offensive.

Great stuff Bob - thank you. Amazing to pin point the area where my man actually fell.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

• 10 months later...

Dear all,

Sorry to pick up on this one again after all this time. Still trying to pin-point the spot where Lance Corporal William Edward (Ted) LAST (12446. 2nd. Battalion Essex Regiment) was KIA on Thursday 28/3/18. I know they were holding the left sector of the front line near Arras and that there was heavy enemy artillery fire from 3am (more intense from 6am). Enemy massed at 7.05am and assault proceeded at 7.35am. Germand broke through at 7.40am, advancing down 'Chili'. Only 5 officers and 75 men survived out of 500 and Ted was one of those that fell. My confusion is as follows:

1). Which part of the trench was held by the 2nd Essex - i.e. where did most of that Battalion fall?

2). Is it clear where that part is today?

3). Does anyone have any then or now pictures of that part?

Very many thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Maldon

My info is primarily about the 56th Division who were on the 4ths left.

I have dug out the following

From Battlefield Europe

3 a.m. the bombardment started on 2nd Essex.

6:30 a.m. the Germans were seen wire cutting and began their attack. They suffered heavy casualties, but under the cover of mist they infiltrated south of Towy Post and the left flank and got behind the position.

9 a.m. commanding officer and 50 men retire to the Royal Fusiliers line in Hudson Trench, the rest are overwhelmed by the onslaught.

‘C’ Company of the 1st Kings Own Royal Lancashire's were brought forward to Hyderabad Trench to reinforce ‘B’ Company 2nd Lancashire Fusiliers as the right flank was at risk.

The Germans launched their attack down the communication trenches, Chili, Civil and Caledonian Alleys, which led from the front line to the Fusiliers position.

10 a.m. the attack only made headway in one area where they got to the junction of Harry and Humid trenches cutting off ‘A’ Company from ‘D’ Company and the isolating them. ‘D’ Company erected blocks and barricades in Hussar Trench, hand to hand fighting ensued but the line held.

‘A’ Company suffered serious casualties and their supply of bombs and ammunition was nearly exhausted. They were now commercially surrounded the only way back was over open ground to Trent Trench. Only six survivors made it back to their colleagues. Second Lieutenant Cassidy was awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross for that action which probably saved the 4th Division.

I also have a Queens Westminster Rifles Report. They held the right wing of the 56th Div

"A battalion of the Lancashire Fusiliers on our right were driven out of HUMID Trench and the vicinity and fell back over the open to TOWY ALLEY and the Bailleul – Willerval Line."

This occurred prior to 11.00 and perhaps means that the Essex were on their right.

The report goes on to state that by 18.30

The QWR took over from the Gavrelle Road to the light railway on the brigade’s southern boundary, in touch with the Essex Regiment.

My photos only go down as far as DITCH post, TOWY Post and Gavrelle.

I have Maroeuil Map of the area which is dated 28/3/18. If you do locate a Trench Map co-ordinate of interest then I can convert it to a GPS location.

Bob

If you haven't already got this information, the 2nd Essex lost 43 men killed that day, all Other Ranks. Most have no known grave and one could have died of wounds after capture. Geoff's will give you fuller details should you need them. The rest must have been wounded or captured, if only 5 officers and 75 men answered the roll call afterwards. Pretty much wiped out by the sound of things....

QUOTE (Bob B @ Jan 31 2010, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maldon

My info is primarily about the 56th Division who were on the 4ths left.

I have dug out the following

From Battlefield Europe

3 a.m. the bombardment started on 2nd Essex.

6:30 a.m. the Germans were seen wire cutting and began their attack. They suffered heavy casualties, but under the cover of mist they infiltrated south of Towy Post and the left flank and got behind the position.

9 a.m. commanding officer and 50 men retire to the Royal Fusiliers line in Hudson Trench, the rest are overwhelmed by the onslaught.

'C' Company of the 1st Kings Own Royal Lancashire's were brought forward to Hyderabad Trench to reinforce 'B' Company 2nd Lancashire Fusiliers as the right flank was at risk.

The Germans launched their attack down the communication trenches, Chili, Civil and Caledonian Alleys, which led from the front line to the Fusiliers position.

10 a.m. the attack only made headway in one area where they got to the junction of Harry and Humid trenches cutting off 'A' Company from 'D' Company and the isolating them. 'D' Company erected blocks and barricades in Hussar Trench, hand to hand fighting ensued but the line held.

'A' Company suffered serious casualties and their supply of bombs and ammunition was nearly exhausted. They were now commercially surrounded the only way back was over open ground to Trent Trench. Only six survivors made it back to their colleagues. Second Lieutenant Cassidy was awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross for that action which probably saved the 4th Division.

I also have a Queens Westminster Rifles Report. They held the right wing of the 56th Div

"A battalion of the Lancashire Fusiliers on our right were driven out of HUMID Trench and the vicinity and fell back over the open to TOWY ALLEY and the Bailleul – Willerval Line."

This occurred prior to 11.00 and perhaps means that the Essex were on their right.

The report goes on to state that by 18.30

The QWR took over from the Gavrelle Road to the light railway on the brigade's southern boundary, in touch with the Essex Regiment.

My photos only go down as far as DITCH post, TOWY Post and Gavrelle.

I have Maroeuil Map of the area which is dated 28/3/18. If you do locate a Trench Map co-ordinate of interest then I can convert it to a GPS location.

Bob

Great - thanks Bob. We have seen Ted Last's name on the Arras Memorial and I have a 'photo of him. Would just be good to visit the actual spot where he was killed.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Not really relevant, but one of the 75 OR survivors was

17272 Bannon, formally an 'Original' of 13th Essex..

The rest must have been wounded or captured, if only 5 officers and 75 men answered the roll call afterwards.

post-32022-1264965091.jpg

Maldon,

Have you seen the map in Burrows' 2nd Essex? Comparing that with Jims map above, it would appear the Essex were defending what is now the interchange of the A26/A1. Do you know which company Ted was in?

Neal

Maldon,

Have you seen the map in Burrows' 2nd Essex? Comparing that with Jims map above, it would appear the Essex were defending what is now the interchange of the A26/A1. Do you know which company Ted was in?

Neal

Thanks Neal. This is really helpful. I haven't seen the Burrows map and am quite honestly getting confused about the exact location in today's landscape. Sadly I don't know which company Ted was in becase his service record doesn't survive. Any help with these aspects would be great.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Perhaps not relevant but reading (at 4am today) Sapper Martin's diary entry 23.3.18 he notes seeing a parade of a battalion of the Essex Regt. All that had come back were the Colonel,one NCO and thirty men. The Colonel wasvisibly moved as he addressed the men ,half choked and tears streaming down his face.Martin did not know who he was but wrote that he would never forget him. The diaries give some idea of the chaos which ensued from the German breakthrough. They are excellently written and well worth perusing. Edited by Richard Van Emden, I can recommend the book.

Perhaps not relevant but reading (at 4am today) Sapper Martin's diary entry 23.3.18 he notes seeing a parade of a battalion of the Essex Regt. All that had come back were the Colonel,one NCO and thirty men. The Colonel wasvisibly moved as he addressed the men ,half choked and tears streaming down his face.Martin did not know who he was but wrote that he would never forget him. The diaries give some idea of the chaos which ensued from the German breakthrough. They are excellently written and well worth perusing. Edited by Richard Van Emden, I can recommend the book.

Many thanks - on my pile to read at the moment.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Maldon

Tried resizing the Burrows map to put on here...not good.

If you would like a scan PM me you e-mail and I'll send it to you.

Glyn

Hi Maldon,

I attach a copy of the map I referred to earlier from Burrows' book on the 2nd Essex. If you want a slightly clearer copy PM me your e-mail address - in the meantime I will try and get a better version under the posting limit. In terms of finding an exact spot, I don't know how much it will help, but you may be able to identify where the various companys started the day and where the survivors ended up. The cross roads marked on this as Inn Crossroads appear to be a consistent feature on the other maps.

Neal

Edit: Have tried several versions of the picture now, but you will have to stick with this one!

post-52236-1265052679.jpg

Hi Maldon

I have tried to improve on the first maps by putting some of the other trenches named in the diaries as the positions of the companies. It does not help you a great deal unless you get hold of the company your man was in. Even then in the confused fighting of being overrun he could have died in any number of places. Again against you is, when you look at the modern map, the fact that most of the area is covered by the motorway intersection. A sobering thought that when they dug all this the area will have been very disturbed! :mellow:

You probably have all the next bit but others without the diaries might be interested:

A coy were in Cork (maybe a little to the north off the map as well), 2 platoons in the front line

B coy in reserve in Chalk and Chicken

C coy also in Cork agian 2 platoons up

D coy 1 platoon up and 2 in Caldron (I think Cauldron in the diary but Caldron on the map)

If he was in a reserve platoon or D coy he might have died somewhere to the east of the road junction, otherwise, well, you see where the front line runs.

post-28845-1265054542.jpg

Remember this is an later map but does have all the trench names on.

Then, by courtesy of Linesman the overprinted modern map.

post-28845-1265054663.jpg

Hope this helps a little mate - not good news really.

Jim

Just me again

I suppose the bridge over the motorway at point 72 might be a good point to survey the ground and remember the men of the 2nd Essex who died around this area. I will make a trip to the point in a couple of weeks when in France and take some photos.

Jim

Maldon

The scenery in the are cannot be called awe inspiring but you can effectivly drive the front line from the northern edge to the Scarpe.

Arleux (D50) to Oppy (D33) to Gavrelle (Rue du Plouvain) to Plouvain [Or Gavrelle (D33) to Roux).

Enjoy your trip

Bob

Thank you Neal, Jim and Bob - great stuff. I am going to try and track the Company down for Ted and study the modern maps to link in with what you have sent me. Any 'photos of the area would be much appreciated.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

No Service Record survives for Ted. I know he was in the 9th Essex and then transferred to the 2nd (possibly following a wound). Does anyone know which company he was in in the 2nd or how I might find out?

Many thanks.

SPN

Maldon

Maldon

This is Towy Post in Gavrelle. It sits on a triangle of land (my car is at the apex) the road leads to Plouvain.

post-11115-1265151911.jpg