Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Waterlot farm . Somme

bantamforgot

Doing a bit of Googling in French, there is a Maurice Waterlot on the Guillemont war memorial. A little bit of research indicates that he was a Cavalry officer killed at Verdun in May 1916. He was born in Paris in 1879, but his local enlistment depot was Peronne which seems to confirm it is the right man.

I suppose I could ask - was the farm named after him?

• 13 years later...

On 29th & 30th May 1916 the 2nd Bn Oxford & Bucks LI were in the lines at Waterlot farm and on the 30th suffered 217 casualties including the solider I am researching, Pvt 11772 Arthur Hartwell of Bidford on Avon where he is named on the memorial. Interesting read, as I was just looking for an exact location. :)

Edited by ianshuter

Ian

I think you have a typo. The attack by 5 Infantry Brigade was on 30/07/1916 not 30/05.

One of my favourite reads is the attack by 5 Loyal North Lancs (166 IB of 55 Div) on Guillemont on 08 and 09/08/1916 and the actions leading up to it. There are plenty of maps showing Waterlot Farm in the August 1916 WD of 55 Div HQ.

Brian

On 16/01/2023 at 09:26, ianshuter said:

as I was just looking for an exact location

Photo taken on the site of Waterlot Farm.  Quite poignant but, unfortunately a couple of years back they dumped a pile of chippings so not so many poppies showing in the last two summers.

DSC05725.JPG

DSC05721.JPG.7420cdd147867de2af4944e47f0682f5.jpeg

thank you, may I use this picture on our website at some stage in the future? www.swfhs.org.uk - then War Memorials