Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

J K Rowling

mhifle

I agree that the final resting place is sad, but then, after selling 400 million books, couldn't JK afford DNA testing of the remains in the communal grave, and so be able to rebury her hero grandfather?

No JKR fan (not seen one HP film or read one HP book) but i think that's a bit harsh

She probably could do DNA test's done but how many bodies are bured in the communal gave ? 50 ? 100 ? 300 ? and when was the last one interred and is it still happening?

I can imagine the slating she would get if after finding the body of her grandfather's remains all the other bones were dumped back in the cummunal grave. She could afford to have them all reburied would be the outcry and no doubt there'd be some spiv with an eye for a law suit claiming some sort of mental strain caused by one of their relatives being disturbed.

Hi,

There was also this letter. Which I think says:

"Cambrai 15/12/18

I have just got orders to move to Abbeville

& I’ll make a start early tomorrow

this will be my new address

French Mission

139 Rue De ??

Abbeville"

Mark

post-14045-0-47205900-1313775290.jpg

post-14045-0-42924700-1313775384.jpg

I will defend J.K Rowling and her BBC appearance.

It's not for us to delve into her mind or experiences, as an author, but it is to be hoped that a "Harry Potter" future character "arrives" thanks to the BBC.

George

It's not for us to delve into her mind or experiences, as an author, but it is to be hoped that a "Harry Potter" future character "arrives" thanks to the BBC.

The latest "Potter" film / book is the final one - so Im reliably informed by my niece

Grant

Grant,

I have never read a "Harry Potter" Novel nor been to the Cinema to see a film.I accept it is difficult to avoid seeing one if its broadcast on British T.V. :D I appreciate the Harry Potter Novels will never be added to.

My unanswered question though?

Will researching her Family,courtesy of the BBC,give J K Rowling the inspiration to write a "non Harry Potter" Novel or series,which will entertain,and continue or introduce the young to the joy of reading?

George

Grant,

My unanswered question though?

Will researching her Family,courtesy of the BBC,give J K Rowling the inspiration to write a "non Harry Potter" Novel or series,which will entertain,and continue or introduce the young to the joy of reading?

George

Who, other than JKR, can answer that?

Kevin

Some people are a bit too mean here. I know little about J.K. Rowling but the story was interesting in both social and military history terms. What is remarkable is the survival of documentation on both sides of the Channel.

Some people are a bit too mean here. I know little about J.K. Rowling but the story was interesting in both social and military history terms. What is remarkable is the survival of documentation on both sides of the Channel.

I agree, this episode gave insights into areas not previously explored by these programmes - I sometimes fear they end up over-visiting some themes. The interior of the French National Archives was also rather impressive.

I do find the (inevitable?) "reconstructed research" a little over-contrived - it is almost a trade-mark of the series.

David

I don't always agree with Alan, but I certainly do on this occasion. I thought it was a good programme on all levels, and JKR came across very sympathetically. Like the 'reconstructed research', however, I strongly suspect that her highly-impressive 'at sight' translations of handwritten records were pre-prepared and rehearsed. This was one episode that I should like to have seen a 'making of' feature about.

Already repeated on HD!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b013pnvn#synopsis

Presumably at some stage they will repeat the whole series!

It's not the same as the "how we did it" pages that they used to do but this blog gives a bit of insight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/2011/08/who-do-you-think-you-are.shtml

David

Thank you for that Utube link Mick, have managed to watch 4 Parts and thoroughly enjoyed it. When presented with so much information about your family's past, and making sense of it in front of the world, it must be quite difficult to think of concise, varied words to describe emotions :o . I am glad they do so for our sakes though! The weaving of a story with history is always interesting.

Cheers

Shirley

I don't really understand the complaints that the background research is not shown. That has certainly been the case over the last four or five series but, in this one, there seems to be a concerted effort to point out that other people are doing the donkey work.

Keith

For anyone interested (and whose French is up to it :D ) the account of the 16th Territorial Regiment's fighting at Courcelles can be found here: http://www.memoiredeshommes.sga.defense.gouv.fr/jmo/img-viewer/26_N_776_001/viewer.html The date of the heavy fighting was 3rd October 1914 and is on pages 20-24. The three battalions of the 16th lost 14 officers and 805 men during this action. Though several officers and other ranks are mentioned in the diary I cannot see Louis Volant's name.

Hi,

The units he served with looks like

150e régiment d'infanterie

16e régiment d'infanterie territoriale

19e escadron du train des équipages militaries

15e compagnie ?

Dépôt du 19e escadron du train des équipages militaries

Regiment d'infanterie de neufchateau

Regiment d'infanterie de toul B

I was wondering what these units are?

Regards Mark

Do you simply need a translation, or something deeper. For the former, see below:

Hi,

The units he served with looks like

150e régiment d'infanterie

150th Infantry Regiment

16e régiment d'infanterie territoriale

16th Territorial Infantry Regiment

19e escadron du train des équipages militaries

19th Train Squadron of Military Equipment ("Train" in the sense of a mobile supply column, in 1914 usually a wagon column, often dedicated to ammunition, or provisions, etc.)

15e compagnie ?

15th Company of?

Dépôt du 19e escadron du train des équipages militaries

Depot of the 19th Train Squadron of Military Equipment (probably, at least in the German usage, a replacement depot for men awaiting deployment to fighting units, in this case to the field component of the 19th Train Squadron of Military Equipment. Maybe this is analogous to the German "Baggage Train". - I know the German Army of the period the best.)

Regiment d'infanterie de neufchateau

Infantry Regiment of Neufchateau (unlikely to be the real unit designation, something like "the territorial infantry regiment of Bristol")

Regiment d'infanterie de toul B

Infantry Regiment of Toul (B) see comment immediately above - the same

I was wondering what these units are?

Regards Mark

Hi,

Would the following make sense as a rank?

Grade: Maréchale-des-Logis

Regards Mark

Hi,

Would the following make sense as a rank?

Grade: Maréchale-des-Logis

Regards Mark

Mark; I was first puzzled by the rank, when I saw a Belgian major, the CO of a fort in 1914, mention in his book a 20 year old Brigadier in his garrison. (I mentioned this above.) They were neither Brigadiers or Marshals. (Looking at my right foot, I have a German, a Turkish, and a geographical dictionary right by it, along with two Prussian Ranglisten, but I just moved the French dictionary away to its proper place on a shelf.) I want to drill down on the term "Marechale".

As I said previously, a "brigadier" is a French/Belgian grade of artillery sergeant. A "marechale des logis" is a French cavalry or artillery sergeant rank, perhaps different, "mareschal des logis chef" is a French cavalry or artillery sergeant-major. (I don't have an easy way to put accents into the primitive Forum word processor.)

Bob

Interesting to note that the latest inverted snobbery consists in not reading a series of popular books or watching the films made from them. I have read and own every one of the books after being introduced to the second one by my great nieces. I have seen every one of the movies including the 3D version of the last one. If Rowling writes another book, I'll certainly buy it. I didn't watch the programme on TV so I do not feel qualified to comment on it. Not being a granda hunter, I am not keen to watch one in simulated action.

Hi,

His service record has Maréchale-des-Logis on 1st Oct 1916 ( ??? Chef de la Mission)

and I think his ID Card has

Grade: ?maréchale-des-logis?

Regards Mark