Medal card of Seggie, George S

Corps: Seaforth Highlanders

Regiment No: S/13966

1914-1920 WO 372/17

Medal card of Seggie, George

Corps: Seaforth Highlanders

Regiment No: S/18910

1914-1920 WO 372/17

Once again, many thanks for all these carefully considered observations, certainly plenty to think about. Are we saying that this uniform is so mismatched that it can't possibly be correct?

Surely the overseas service chevrons tie in with the medals. Is it not most likely that this photo is taken some years post war with the uniform dug out in less than perfect condition?

My own feeling is that this man is the owner of the medals. With all your help I now have much more to go on when looking for a name.

Thanks Ian for the Seaforth Seggies. Unfortunately neither of these men were awarded the trio so don't seem to fit. I may of course be mistaken and he is from another part of the family. With any luck another picture may turn up which fillls in the gaps!

With many thanks again

Michael

Chris,

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. The jacket is a pre-war, non-Highland Officers' Pattern SD Jacket (it does not have a cutaway, but he has attempted to fold the skirts in).

The collar is of the style worn by these officers of the 4th Black Watch TF.

Other Ranks jackets do not have scalloped pockets (and the top pockets are long), and OR's do not have large expanding lower pockets. It may have previously been worn by a Warrant Officer, but not a Highland one.

Tom McC

Hi Tom,

You may well be correct: however some TF O/R jackets certainly did have scalloped upper pocket flaps (See pic below)- although I will concede on the lower ones! In fact the ones shown in my pic below do not appear to have any lower pockets

post-14525-1233629206.jpg

I have a much clearer one somewhere but cannot for the life of me find it and I just went through a STACK of my pictures hunting for it (oh well I needed to sort them anyway)

If he is indeed wearing a non highland officers pattern SD the scenario has to be a bit convoluted - to remove cuff insignia and add sgts insignia (and possibly overseas chevrons - although I am not convinced I can see them on the photo as reproduced here) certainly a pretty elaborate dress up (given he still manages to look distinctly scruffy!)

Best Chris

EDIT: found a couple more scalloped pocket pics: what I think is a Liverpool Scot (taken in Blackpool 1915)

post-14525-1233629914.jpg

and a mounted scots unit: this chap appears to have lower pockets also - although perhaps not belled like those in the photo, he would also appear to have a high-tailored collar (and some rather natty sleeve buttons!)

post-14525-1233630135.jpg

Chris,

Look at the photo in context, and take the jacket as a whole item ... it is after 1919 ;) . A jacket with scalloped pockets and bellowed lower pockets is not going to be worn by an OR.

As you know, the service dress became an item of dress in 1902, the volunteers, because they were equipped by the local association, would have minor embellishments to their outfits: cuff buttons, Austrian Knots, stripes down the legs, scalloped pockets, collar badges. As the TF came about in 1908, the dress begins to emulate more the dress of the regulars, though some legacy dress features stay for a while, such as collar badges on some yeomanry regiments. By 1914, I haven't really noticed a lot of difference between the TF infantry battalions and their regular counterparts.

Anyway, where's his bagpipes :D

Aye

Tom McC

Anyway, where's his bagpipes :D

Aye

Tom McC

:D Why d'you think he's got his hands behind his back? :D

Chris

PS - I don't think we disagree - see post #9

It looks like he is wearing the 1914-1915 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal. so this picture was from after the war.

My vote ( surprise surprise) - goes to the Gordons

On first glance, so would mine but I have been caught out before. The photographs of the time are dodgy. There is a well known photograph of an 8th Black Watch piper at the Somme and he is a dead ringer for that kilt. In the same book, " The Somme, day by day", McCarthy, are Gordons with no visible stripe to their kilts. If my arm was twisted, I would go for Seaforths.

I would say the kilt is Seaforth. Very rarely does the yellow stripe show, somethng to do with the grey scale in B&W photos :rolleyes: . I also agree that the uniform is all wrong, and would not pass muster. It looks like a "lash up" from odd bits of uniform. Att are some Gordons. :)

Tom

post-18033-1233847606.jpg

Tom, that's a nice pic. and not one I have seen before... do you have any other details on it? (I have a personal interest as my Gt Grandfather was in a Gordons MGS)