Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Please can anyone help?

June Underwood

I am helping a friend to find out more about her grandfather, but cannot discover anything using the usual military sources. I have tried variants of the forename and the surname. Please can anyone help?

The details that I have been told are:

Wording on medals

9185 Driver Harry Sandall RFA

Survived WW1 and WW2. Died about 1946

Old Contemptible - a number was given but I don't know what this relates to - 2067B or R

Possibly lived or born Redhill, Bristol about 1881

The family has a photo of Harry Sandall on horseback wearing what they think is the uniform of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Force.

We would be very glad of any help.

June

Hi June,

I found this Harry Sandall on the 1891 census living in Bristol

Name: Harry Sandall

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1882

Relation: Son

Father's Name: Harry

Mother's Name: Mary

Where born: Bedminster, Somerset, England

Civil Parish: Bedminster

Ecclesiastical parish: St Paul

Town: Bristol

County/Island: Somerset

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Bedminster

Sub registration district: Bedminster

ED, institution, or vessel: 12

Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age

Harry Sandall 32

Mary Sandall 33

Frank Sandall 11

Harry Sandall 9

Joseph Sandall 8

Rose Sandall 4

James Sandall 2

Sarah Sandall 8/12

Justin

Justin Many thanks for the census - that's a great step forward.

Mel Thank you too. I thought all the MICs were on Ancestry. Is it worth spending the money to download the card? Do you know whether many were omitted from Ancestry and why? I'm working on a project of Bucks War Memorials and have quite often been surprised when there hasn't been an MIC on Ancestry, but I never thought to check with TNA.

Can anyone also explain why there have been 2 replies to my query but apparently no views? Surely you can't reply to a query without first viewing it?

June

June

Ancestry is still in the process of uploading the MICs and service papers (currentlt at N) so it will take some time for the process to be completed.

With only one in three service papers surviving, it may well be that the only source of information on Harry will be his MIC and the Medal Roll entries.

Regards

Mel

I too am unable to find a medal card for my Great Grandfather but it's not appearing on TNA searches either so I'm a bit stuck to say the least.

Here's the Census scan btw for 1891.

Justin

post-42905-1232820530.jpg

That's a great help, Justin, many thanks. Good luck with your search - perhaps if you put the details on this Forum some kind person might be able to help.

June

Hi June

1901 Census shows the family Harry(Father), Mary A(Mother) and children Joseph 18, Rosina 14, James 12, Nellie 8, Sidney 6, Ethel 5, Emma 2 at 57 King St., Bedminster. Ancestry Class RG13, Piece 2363, Folio 61, Page 27. Harry is probably already in the Army.

Regards Barry

Hi June

There is no trace on Ancestry Deaths for Harry b.1882 d 1946-48, so perhaps he emigrated, hence RCMP?

Regards Barry

Barry

Thank you so much for your 2 look ups on my behalf. I think Harry was supposed to have died in this country as the result of a traffic accident.

June

...Can anyone also explain why there have been 2 replies to my query but apparently no views? Surely you can't reply to a query without first viewing it?

Hi June,

I wonder if it's because your browser was still looking at your original visit, even though this visit was a new one? (I am sure there is a technical term for this!) If you had hit the "refresh" button (the two green arrows to the right of the URL slot), that might have kicked the browser into giving it a fresh go.

Sorry - very un-techie description. :blush:

Angela

Hi June

Correction, have found one Harry A Sandall, aged 60 yrs died 1st qtr 1946, Sheffield Vol 9a Page 420,

Regards Barry