Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing my ancestors H.M.S. Bulwark

duece

I wasn't to sure and I thought it was C1....

Just to be on the safe side, does 2nd and 3rd mean that he ended the exams in 2nd and 3rd position in the class results.

Just read Mick his transcribing of AMH his service record, it is very interesting ;) thank's again!

Dre

And under Remarks and Distinctions it says "Gained 6 months' time on passing out of Britannia" does this mean that he finished prior to the time given to finish the Naval school?

Can anyone please give their opinion about the above line text?

Cheers,

Dre

Just to be on the safe side, does 2nd and 3rd mean that he ended the exams in 2nd and 3rd position in the class results.

No, it means that his marks in the respective exams fell within the ranges covered by the 2nd and 3rd classes.

Thank you for your reply, I am sorry for asking all these questions, my English has faded away from me after living in Holland for so long now and I am just not sure on some/lots parts of the English grammar...

Dre

And under Remarks and Distinctions it says "Gained 6 months' time on passing out of Britannia" does this mean that he finished prior to the time given to finish the Naval school?

Can anyone please give their opinion about the above line text?

Cheers,

Dre

I stand to be corrected, but I think it means he was credited with 6 months' seniority on passing out of Britannia.

I stand to be corrected, but I think it means he was credited with 6 months' seniority on passing out of Britannia.

Hello,

thanks again for your reply Siege Gunner, it is becoming much clearer to me how his Naval life was during those days and how AMH Phillips entered the Royal Navy and how he rose through the ranks.

Cheers,

Dre

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Dre, I can certainly help you as Albert Markham Hood Phillips was my grandfather. I would be happy to share detail that I have offline eg. family members etc. I am new to the Great War Forum and still struggling to know the ins and outs to enable me to contact. Cheers PRBHMS Bulwark
Hello Prb,

thank you very much for your reply, I was hoping to find relatives of AMH Phillips and now you found me that is great.

I will contact you via e-mail or pm straight away!

Cheers,

Dre

• 4 years later...

Update on my ancestor search:
With the help of per ardua per mare per terram it became clear that I was investigating the wrong person; Albert Markham Hood Phillips who is pictured on the news paper item on H.M.S. Bulwark which my family had kept over so many years is not related.
However another Phillips (Owen) served on H.M.S. Bulwark and it is this person whom is related to my family, I guess my family kept the newspaper article of Albert Markham Hood Phillips Cmdr on H.M.S. Bulwark as some sort of memory to Owen and the ship he served on.
I would like to thank per ardua per mare per terram for his help in unraveling the mystery and to the other forum members who helped out in my research.
And Prb for his help in the matter!

Cheers,
Dre