Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing my ancestors H.M.S. Bulwark

duece

Yes, they are available at Kew, but not online. They are original documents and you need a readers ticket to view them.

Hello Dre

The rank commander sounds as if he sould be in command but

in fact he would serve under the captain. The rank in equal to

Lt.Colonel in the army, or a wing commander in the air force.

Hope this helps.

regards Margarette

Dre

An aircraft carrier,by it's size and complexity, required the Senior Officer as Captain to be higher than a Commander,but in smaller ships a Commander could have been the Captain ! It is my impression that this Commander could have been the Head of one of the ship's Divisions or Branches,such as,if he was an Engineer he could have been the Senior Engineer on board and thus would have been responsible to the Captain for the efficency of the whole Engineers Branch. In the same way for the Flying element of the ship,or the Administration element etc.

Sotonmate

I'm probably wrong, but as far as I know a commander aboard a capital ship would be the Executive Officer, second in command to the Captain.

I was looking at the Wikipedia site and I came across this;A commander in the British Royal Navy is above the rank of lieutenant-commander, below the rank of captain, and is equivalent in rank to a lieutenant colonel in the army. A commander may command a frigate, destroyer, submarine, aviation squadron or shore installation, or may serve on a staff.

Cheers for the help!

Dre

An aircraft carrier,

At this date Bulwark was not a carrier see post 32 for what she looked like. Also at this date there were only seaplane carriers no aircraft carriers.

I can only find info that has to do with the ships 2nd Engineer.....

I was wondering what this ment as there is a picture of H.M.S. Bulwark Ships.2nd on http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/bulwark.htm and I thought this would help in finding out if AMH Phillips was 2nd in Command on HMS Bulwark as per ardua per mare per terram suggests.

Looking at the Naval Ranking Commander does come after Captain so it would be logical if he was the ship's 2nd, but what about the part that a Commander could not command any ship larger than a Frigate or a Destroyer?

Dre

What does 'Shipt.2nd' mean...?

I don't have my dictionary of definitions to hand, but I thought it meant Shipwright 2nd Class, an artizan not a commissioned officer. The man's papers are amongst the Registers of Seamen's Services:

Name Heath, Reginald Leonard

Official Number: 345674

Place of Birth: Vittoria, Malta

Date 23 October 1888

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

what about the part that a Commander could not command any ship larger than ... a Destroyer?

This goes back to the days of sail, when ships were rated according to number of guns. Post Ships were those commanded by Post Captains, the lowest being a 6th rate. Commanders could smaller vessels such as sloops. Similarly in WWI lager ships (cruisers and above could only be commanded by captains). Even the largest destroyer flotilla leaders rarely had as many as 200 men aboard. Frigates were not used in WWI.

You would need to see how many commanders were aboard at the time. The heirarchy of the officers should be shown in the Navy List. As she was loading ammunition, he may have been on board and not connected to the ship's crew.

Thanks m8, I will try and look into that, he was appointed to H.M.S. Bulwark on 2-2-14" so I find that strange if he was not connected with the crew, or am I missing your point completely.

Cheers

Nope, I neglected to go back and look at the list of appointment dates. :blush:

The October 1914 (corrected to 18th September) Navy List lists him as the only Commander aboard.

Nope, I neglected to go back and look at the list of appointment dates. :blush:

The October 1914 (corrected to 18th September) Navy List lists him as the only Commander aboard.

I thought you might :D have lol, thank's for the info about him being the only Commander aboard, do you have this list m8?

Do you know where I can find any info on the exams and tests that a Naval Officer must pass to climb in the ranks during his time (internet or book(s), Mick has send me a bit of the service record that he transcribed for me, now I am curious about these exams and tests and his marks as I can read them now thanks to Mick.

I know that he had to undergo gunnery/torpedo tests, Pilotage.....

Cheers,

Dre

Do you know where I can find any info on the exams and tests that a Naval Officer must pass to climb in the ranks during his time (internet or book(s)..

Er.. Dre, they didn't have internet in those days. ;)

Just kidding..

Nope, I saw it at Kew and took a copy.

Ok I see cheers anyways.

Er.. Dre, they didn't have internet in those days. ;)

Just kidding..

Lawl your right ;) any books or artricles you know off :huh:

Can anyone tell me what Cl Cert means?

Is Cert short for Certificate?

And under Remarks and Distinctions it says "Gained 6 months' time on passing out of Britannia" does this mean that he finished prior to the time given to finish the Naval school?

Dates of Orders and Commissions:

15 July 1892 Midshipman

15 Jany 1896 (Actg Sub-Lieutenant

(Sub-Lieutenant

30 June 1898 Lieutenant

[/size]

Remarks and Distinctions:

Gained 6 months' time on passing out of Britannia

Examinations:

Passed for Midn 3rd Cl Cert - 660 marks

Passed in Seamanship 2nd Cl Cert - 853 marks

Passed College April 96 3rd Cl Cert - 679 marks