Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing my ancestors H.M.S. Bulwark

duece

A question where do you find these Census and what is/was there use?

I used Ancestry.com at my local library. Feodora produced no matches!

Every 10 years since 1801 the British Government have taken a census. They are only realesed to the public 100 years later.

I used Ancestry.com at my local library. Feodora produced no matches!

Every 10 years since 1801 the British Government have taken a census. They are only realesed to the public 100 years later.

Thx's for your reply and explenation, strange that there was no result for Feodora Phillips but a family member of mine has found out more on her, I posted the find in my other post, but the table (windows?) did not apear proper in the post my appologies for this as it is harder to make out.

If you want I could e-mail you the list, it shows the AHM Phillips household, Head of family, wife etcetc.

Thx's!

Dre

I was looking for Feodora Andrew(e)s on the Mormon's site for 1881; Ancestry was slow.

Edited by per ardua per mare per terram

If you want I could e-mail you the list, it shows the AHM Phillips household, Head of family, wife etcetc.

It's ok, I can make it out ty.

Hi Dre

The census is carried out every ten years and gives the government an idea

of population. It is mandatory, this in theory helps plan the future for schools

housing etc.Census is available on line 1911 has just been added this week.

As a matter of interest my gandfather served on the Blenheim from Nov 08-Dec09.

This is the second time I have come across a fellow forum member whose ancestor

served with him.

Regards Margarette

Hi Dre

The census is carried out every ten years and gives the government an idea

of population. It is mandatory, this in theory helps plan the future for schools

housing etc.Census is available on line 1911 has just been added this week.

As a matter of interest my gandfather served on the Blenheim from Nov 08-Dec09.

This is the second time I have come across a fellow forum member whose ancestor

served with him.

Regards Margarette

Hi Margarette,

thank you for your reply and info, I have some more searching to do so I will make use of the entries on my ancestors.

That is very interesting, our family serving together on the Blenheim, do you have any photographs of your grandfather during his service on HMS Blenheim?

I was hoping to find a photograph of Albert on one of the ships, either a crew photograp or a single one like on the newspaperclipping I posted.

A member of this forum is helping me with the two service records, I have a hard time reading the text, he is translating it for me which is great as I now can make out his naval career until he died on HMS Bulwark.

Regards,

Dre

A short list of the ships he served on, I think i missed out on two ships due to the handwriting...

Britannia Royal Naval College at Dartmouth "Date of appointment 15 Jan 90

H.M.S. Active " Date of appointment ../../1895 ?

World War 1 Service:

Active

Leader 2nd Destroyer Flotilla with the Harwich Force.

1915 Grand Fleet.

31 May-1 June 1916 Took part in the Battle of Jutland.

1916 Leader 4th Destroyer Flotilla at Portsmouth.

1917 Queenstown.

1917 Mediterranean.

1920 Sold for Scrap.

H.M.S. Nile " Date of appointment 26/../1897"

She ran her trials in July 1890, in ballast as her guns and mountings had at that time not been delivered. After delivery, she was commissioned at Portsmouth on 30 June 1891 for manoeuvres, following which she joined the Mediterranean Fleet. In January 1898 she came home to become the port guardship at Devonport. In February 1903 she was relegated to the Reserve, where she remained until she was sold on 9 July 1912.

H.M.S. Caeser "Date of appointment 03 Jan 98"

Re-appointed on 30 june 98...

Class Majestic

Type 1st Class pre-Dreadnought Battleship

Built at Portsmouth, 1898

Speed 16.5 knots

Weight 14,900

Armament 12 x 6 inch Guns, 16 x 12 pdr Guns, 12 x 3 pdr Guns, 5 Torpedo Tubes

Crew 672

Fate She was sold in 1921 and broken up in Germany the following year.

Notes She served in the Mediterranean, the Channel Fleet (where she was a flagship) and Atlantic and North American stations during World War I. After the war, she served in the Mediterranean and Black Sea.

HMS Vengeance, a 12,950-ton Canopus class battleship, was built at Barrow-in-Furness, England. Laid down in August 1898 and launched a year later, she was commissioned in April 1902 and sent to the Mediterranean Sea. Between June 1903 and April 1905 Vengeance was assigned to the China station. Following refit she served with the Channel and Home Fleets until 1909, then was employed on support, gunnery training and reserve duties.

After World War I began in August 1914 Vengeance served in British home waters before steaming south to take part in operations off Africa and in the Mediterranean. She was an active participant in the Dardanelles campaign during the late winter and spring of 1915. The ship spent most of the rest of the war in the East Indies and in African waters. Used as a depot ship during 1918 and 1919, Vengeance was sold for scrapping in 1921.

H.M.S. Irresistible "Date of appointment 8-06-03"

Irresistible was badly damaged when she struck one of these mines at about 1616 hours local time. The starboard engine room flooded very rapidly, killing all but three of the men on duty there, and then the midship bulkhead collapsed, causing the port engine room to flood and leaving Irresistible without power, listing to starboard, and down by the stern. She drifted helplessly into range of Turkish guns, which laid down a heavy fire on her. Her main gun turrets began to fail, and she was obscured by smoke and spray.

Survivors of Irresistible were spread among several ships in the British squadron. These are on the quarterdeck of battleship HMS Agamemnon.All the crew, except for the captain and a few volunteers, were transferred to destroyer HMS Wear.

H.M.S. Orion "Date of appointment 21-12-03"

HMS_Orion_(Orion_class_battleship).jpg

World War 1 Service:

Orion

2nd Battle Squadron Grand Fleet

Present at the Battle of Jutland 1916. Fired 51 13.5in rounds. Received no damage.

December 1922 sold for scrap.

Transferred from H.M.S. Sapphire to H.M.S. Wear his first command?

H.M.S. Wear "Date of appointment 28-05-06" 2nd Destroyer Flotilla Channel Fleet.

HMS Wear 21st January 1905 Broken up in 1919.

H.M.S. Blenheim "Date of appointment 19-10-09"

BR%20blenheim%201894%202.jpg

HMS Blenheim, the depot ship for the 5th Destroyer Flotilla, at the port on the Greek island of Lemnos. Officers from the Blenheim supervised all gunnery and torpedo practice on board all ships of the flotilla; the ship also provided supplies and additional men when needed. The six Australian destroyers, which had been patrolling the Adriatic Sea since October 1917, became part of the 5th British Destroyer Flotilla in April 1918, when strengthened Allied naval forces began a new offensive against the Austrians.

Sheerness Flotilla 5-4-10

H.M.S. Bulwark "Date of appointment 2-2-14"

hmsbulwarksym42.jpg

The Bulwark blew up and sank from an accidental internal magazine explosion in 1914, while moored at Sheerness in Kent. There were only 15 survivors out of over 700 officers and men.

Thank you Dre,

For the picture of the Blenheim, They may also have been together on the Vengeance. My Grandfather went out to the China station on the Barfleur and transfered to the Vengeance. They then went on to the China Station. Pictures are few and far between I dont think many sailors had cameras then.

Regards Margarette

Hello Margarette,

I was thinking that if they served toghether they would bound have spoken to each other, my Ancestor was on HMS Blenheim for his exams/tests, gunnery etcetc.

I had all the pictures of the ships he served on but the forum did not allow so many pictures in a topic.

Am still hoping that someone has picturs of the crew, somewhere....

Cheers,

Dre

I have also got Staff Captain John Phillips his service record but there's a few probs, there are a few entries for the name Phillips on the one sheet, but most can be excluded but 2, Both named John Phillips and ranked Staff Commander, I can make out a death date of death for the one John 1915.

As he died in 1915 he probably scrapes by as being on topic! It was common for the Admiralty to have the records of more than one man on the same sheet! John's record probably ran for more than one sheet, how many do you have? The online downloads don't always link all sheets together. Staff Captain John Phillips might have served in some of the Victorian colonial campaigns (such as Egypt, the Zulu Wars); I recommend that you make a list of his ships and check if the crew qualified for any medals.

Similarly AMH Phillips could have qualified for some, but again you'll have to check his ships.

Your list of the ships that he served on is very interesting, but you have to be careful about their WWI service. The ships that he served on would not always be the one that served in WWI. For example the Orion that served in the 2nd Battle Squadron Grand Fleet at Jutland was a 'Dreadnought'. The Dreadnought herself had not been started in 1903.

I hope you don't mind, I've looked out the following links:

HMS Britannia

Her Majesty’s Ship Active

H.M.S. Nile

H.M.S. Caesar

HMS Vengeance

His Majesty’s Ship Irresistible

H.M.S. Orion

H.M.S. Sapphire

H.M.S. Wear

Edited by per ardua per mare per terram

I am transcribing AMHP's service record for Dre, and as I've already pointed out to him, the HMS Britannia sunk in 1918 was not commissioned until about 1906. His Britannia, 1890-91, was the Royal Naval College, Dartmouth.

Mick

AMHP's service was in the transition period, it began when there were few shore bases. As shown in the link for HMS Britannia, when he was aboard the accommodation was the hulk of a wooden walled ship. There were a whole range of obsolete vessels that were scrapped under the Fisher reforms.

That's kind of you Mick, are you transcribing Staff Captain John Phillips' record too?

The Britannia at Dartmouth in AMHP's time was the renamed HMS Prince of Wales (1860).

Transcribing AMHP's service record is no problem, but presenting the ship information without having to create a spreadsheet (which I fear is beyond me) is proving a bit more difficult than I expected. As regards his father's record, I wouldn't be able to get round to it for a while, so feel free to offer, PAPMPT !

The Britannia at Dartmouth in AMHP's time was the renamed HMS Prince of Wales (1860).

Which in turn was wooden walled screw First Rate. In those days Britain had a First Rate Navy!

Sorry for my mishaps with the ships!

NP, the change over around that time catches a lot out. I've looked down a service record and seen a famous name only to check the dates and discover its not the ship I'm thinking of many a time!

It's all too easy to get caught out. There have been threads recently about Vindictive, but not the one of Zeebrugge fame, and Broke, but not the one that was at Jutland and the Battle of the Dover Strait.

Does anyone know of any books or articles on the Channel Fleet of 1906?

My ancestor AHM Phillips was a L.T. back then and commanded HMS Wear in the 2nd Destroyer Flotilla, I had a quick look on google but found nothing....

Cheers,

Dre

Off the top of my head, i don't think that 1906 was a particularly memorable year for the Channel Fleet, so probably hasn't generated books or articles. the big event of the year was the launch of HMS Dreadnought.

HMS Wear's ships logs for 1906-09 are at the UK National Archives in: ADM 53/32033 WEAR 1906 May 4 - 1906 June 30 to ADM 53/32053 WEAR 1909 Sept. 1 - 1909 Oct. 31

You might also be interested in: ADM 116/1062 Collision - H.M.S. Wear, Etna and Ness. 1907-1908

Off the top of my head, i don't think that 1906 was a particularly memorable year for the Channel Fleet, so probably hasn't generated books or articles. the big event of the year was the launch of HMS Dreadnought.

Cheers for your reply!

That's a pity and I guess the launch of HMS Dreadnought had all the coverage and attention that year as the old battleships became obsolete?

Ta,

Dre

HMS Wear's ships logs for 1906-09 are at the UK National Archives in: ADM 53/32033 WEAR 1906 May 4 - 1906 June 30 to ADM 53/32053 WEAR 1909 Sept. 1 - 1909 Oct. 31

You might also be interested in: ADM 116/1062 Collision - H.M.S. Wear, Etna and Ness. 1907-1908

This sounds very interesting I will have a look straight away, thanks!

Dre