Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

169 Brigade RFA

Chris_Baker

According to my notes from Becke's order of battle, 169 Brigade RFA was broken up in 1916.

But I have an officer's service record that gives information to the effect that he was in this brigade when being demobilised. How so?

Did 169 Brigade live on?

The reference also says it was an Army Brigade RFA. If so, can anyone tell me which Army it came under in the last few months of the war?

Chris

I have had the same problem with my database, all of my 169 Bde soldiers I have so far are nearly all from 1917 & 18 & 19 as I recall the Bty's all joined seperate Bdes which became AFA Bdes.

Regards

Paul

169th Brigade, RFA was reformed in May 1917 as 169th Army Brigade, RFA and went to the Western Front on 14 May 1917. It was made up of 376th, 377th, 378th and 379th Battery, RFA (all with 18-pdrs.). The reformed brigade's war diary is available at TNA under WO95/204. Regards, Dick Flory

Forgot to mention that it was serving under 3rd Army.

Chris: What is you officer's name. I will see if I have anything on him. Regards, Dick Flory

Aha! Thanks, Dick.

He is Bertram Goodin. He has a very good service record in WO374 - until it comes to the time he was an officer! He was originally a ranker in 2/1st Royal Buckinghamshire Hussars. Any extra info gladly received (and if you'd like his details, happy to send them).

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone, my grandfather served in 377 Bty 169 Bgde ARFA from May 1917 through to the end of the was. He served under Captain William Carr and Major William Sutherland. Captain Carr wrote an excellent book entitiled A Time to Leave the Ploughshares about his experiences with 377 Bty during this period and I would suggest anyone interested in 377 especially but also 378 and 379 Btys to purchase a copy. I know from the book that they were first stationed at Rue Flourie Farm, Bois Grenier near Armentieres. I have an actual photograph of Captain Carr and his gunners, including my grandfather. Any information on this brigade would be gratefully received, and if I can be of assistance please ask.

One man I am interested in in 169th Bde is ex-Sgt Fred Bleazard posted to 169 Bde as 2Lt from 36th Bde in Sept 1917 after he was commissioned, an old regular soldier - killed in 1918. I am not sure what battery he served in. I think I saw his photo on the Forum somewhere from an old newspaper cutting from when he won a DCM earlier in the war. I would be interested if he figures in your information about 169th Bde .. or indeed might appear in your photo?

I will also get a copy of Carrs book... thanks for the tip.. I had seen the title but did not know it was linked to a known unit

david

From Carr's A Time to Leave the Plowshares:

"One of Gibbs' (OC of 279 Battery) subalterns, was called Bleazard. At least as old as me, a married man with a small son, he'd had by far the most experiences of fighting in France. He was what was known in some batteries as a ranker having been promoted from a sergeant. . . Smith and I thought highly of Bleazard who was a mine of information and had a delightful sense of humour."

From the same source discussing the events of 21 March 1918:

"About noon our guns became hot and we ceased fire. . . I went to the command post where Smith had been keeping in touch with Gardner at Bourgie farm. Smith looked grim. 'Bleazard's dead,' he said. '379 had more wounded and there's no word from their OP party. . ."

"At Bourgie, Gibbs, white-faced and grim, told me what had happened at 379. Bleazard had died before they got him to the AD station and one of their sergeants had lost an eye."

Dick Flory

Thanks very much for that Dick - that provides an end to the story of Fred Bleazard (13726), enlisted 2nd Jan 1901 - reengaged for a full 21 years service in 1912 - and who went to France in August 1914 as a Gunner in 15th Bty 36th Brigade RFA. I look forward to reading Carr's book..

david

AbeBooks.com has twelve copies of the book for sale at prices from £9 up. Regards, Dick

I secured a copy which is an excellent read - ... I also note that Lt Goodin mentioned previously is presumably the Lt Gordin(?) who appears in Carrs photo of 377th Bty football team..

david

• 4 weeks later...
Guest asterix3482

My grandfather and his brother were Sgts in 377 Bty. I have a copy of the Bty photo and the Sgts Mess just before they went to France. I was lucky to find my grandfather's service record which shows that he was wounded and evacuated back to the UK, while they were near Armentiere. His brother earned an MM in the same action which Carr earned his MC.

There is also another book called the Grey Wave written by Gibb in 1919. He started as an officer with 379 Bty and for a period of time was OC of 377 Bty. The book included the peroid from the formation 169 Bde in Ireland to the end of the war.

• 2 months later...
My grandfather and his brother were Sgts in 377 Bty. I have a copy of the Bty photo and the Sgts Mess just before they went to France. I was lucky to find my grandfather's service record which shows that he was wounded and evacuated back to the UK, while they were near Armentiere. His brother earned an MM in the same action which Carr earned his MC.

There is also another book called the Grey Wave written by Gibb in 1919. He started as an officer with 379 Bty and for a period of time was OC of 377 Bty. The book included the peroid from the formation 169 Bde in Ireland to the end of the war.

I have two photographs of my grandfather with his gun crew including in one a Sgt Dodd who earned a MM, is this your grandfather. I also a have the official photograph of the whole of 377 Bty. If you could email me (goodybellogas@aol.com) your photos I would be happy to reciprocate. I have just had the honour of representing my grandfather and therefore 377 Bty at the Passing of the WW1 Generation Memorial Service at Westminster Abbey where I was seated at the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior. Incredibly moving.

• 2 years later...

Dear Chris, Dick and others:

Thanks to this thread I have purchased and read a copy of "A time to leave the ploughshares" by William Carr. Thanks for the recommendation it is a very interesting read.

I am writing a paper on several officers of the RA who were awarded the Military Cross and one of them served in this Brigade so, although he is not mentioned, it adds a lot of information to what the brigade went through especially during the Spring Offensive.

I would be interested in finding a photo of my chap: Lieutenant Charles Albert Pearce OBE MC Royal Artillery. Does anyone have him listed in the photos mentioned in the thread? Alternatively does anyone have original photos of the brigade that they would be willing to allow me to use in my paper?

Cheers

Andy

PS: his role seems to be that of Staff Officer (reconnaissance).

• 4 years later...

Hi I know this thread is from 2012 but have just come across it I am doing the Pearce family history and have Charles Albert in it did you ever find any more info on him? 

I have that he was awarded his mc in 1918 in the field in France 

also he has a MBE that was awarded in the New Years honours list 1953 for his work in the ministry of pensions 

hope to hear back from you 

judi 

• 1 year later...

Dear Chris, Dick and Gunner Goody,

I would like to thank you for your contributions to this site and, as a result, helping me in my quest to better understand my grandfather's service record as a Gunner in 378 Battery (RFA) in 169 Brigade. It would be really good if you could visit my profile as I have recorded what I know about my grandfather, William Henry Lewis, and I would be very interested in any comments or further pieces of relevant information you may have.

Dear Chris, Dick and Gunner Goody,

Sorry, I'm new to the Great War Forum and was a bit unsure about how these posts and profile sites work. I just wanted to clarify that the information I have collated regarding my grandfather's Great War service can be found under core_pfield_11 on my profile page. I would be very grateful for any comments or clarifications you might add to the information I have shared. Thanking you in anticipation of any interest shown. Kind Regards, Chris Bayley.   

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

I wonder if rather than being buried away in your profile, and linked via this topic if you might elicit more replies if you posted a new topic with your info/request in plain view there. That having been said, the only obvious thing that I found is that in 1918 he appears to have being treated in Catterick Military Hospital after being gassed.

image.png.e35be717169b973c313f4939982216a0.png

image.png.f4aa395917674ff6f983f30b59194d19.png

Image source: Findmypast - British Armed Forces, First World War Soldiers' Medical Records

Good luck with your research.

Regards

Chris

671707 Lewis appears in the Daily Casualty List 15/9/17.  As a general rule of thumb the casualty lists for wounded appeared about 4 weeks after the actual wounding. This would suggest mid August. But if he was in a tram crash in UK on 15/8 then it might have been a week or so earlier. I think the decision to evacuate a casualty to UK was taken fairly promptly and wouldn't be left weeks (unless patient couldn't be moved). So my feeling is 20th July is too early. Try a week or so before the 15th Aug.  Just an educated guess.

1981027876_LewisWHRFACasList15Sep1917.JPG.dd72b1e4b9d2073e890f658cb0a04e80.JPG          

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Dear clk,

Thanks for the advice about posting my grandfather's information under 'topic' but that then invites me to select a forum. I then have no idea what forum I should select. Please forgive me but I am still trying to work out exactly how this site works and your further advice on this matter would be most welcome. Incidentally, I have messaged you separately regarding your very helpful post.

Kind regards,

Chris Bayley.   

Chris (Bailey)

The snippet I took from the Daily Casualty List can usually be found on several genealogy sites including The Genealogist, ForcesWarRecords and FindmyPast (Newspapers). The latter may be available at your local library but otherwise they are all pay sites.

After the name and number there was normally noted either HomeTown or Place of Enlistment. Clearly here they didn't have his Home Town to hand so gave his Place of Enlistment. There would be no further detals for him in the Casualty list.

From your account your GF was clearly a man eager to do his bit.

Charlie

Hi,

Chris Bailey sent me a PM. Since my post I found that William has a decent set of service papers under his subsequent Labour Corps service number - FMP link here.

Regards

Chrs

On 15/08/2018 at 23:48, charlie962 said:

So my feeling is 20th July is too early. Try a week or so before the 15th Aug

I see the record on Ancestry now that I know there should be one. Typical mistranscribe by Ancestry of service number !

Looking at the record He was gassed 8th aug so my thinking was at least correct !

Charlie

• Admin

Chris (Bayley) 

It would appear that you have plenty of help and answers already. However, the best bet is normally to start a new thread in the Soldiers sub forum, with as much information as possible. Sometimes tacking onto very old threads may not get a response, especially if the original poster is no longer a member. 

Michelle, Admin team