Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RWK to RGA to RE Captain A.D. Fosbraey

Jim Hastings

I must admit that I only learned this evening, from another thread, that the MC did not have the recipient's name on it. Therefore, whether he won it or bought it in a pawn shop, he would have had to get it engraved himself.

Listed in the London Gazette 30 December 1919 as relinquishing his commission and no post-nominals.

Rgds

Tim D

Thank you fella's

Thought as much. Sometimes the relevations from searching out ancestors can present uncomfortable truths. I do hope, but cannot deny the possibility, that he fabricated for himself a decoration so bravely and honestly won by other men. As a former soldier myself I find such incidents very distasteful.

I thank you for your imput

Many thanks

Jim

Sorry meant to say

I do hope, but cannot deny the possibility, that he DID NOT fabricate for himself a decoration so bravely and honestly won by other men

• 2 years later...

Hi,

i'm into philatelic history and came across Captain Andrew David Fosbraey at his last post, ie. Postal Services with OETA(S).

In the Official Gazette O.E.T.A. (South) [1. 1919, no. 1 (15.07.1919), p. 2] he is listed thus:

Captain Fosbraey, M.C., D.C.M. (Relinquished.)

The Supplement to The London Gazette, 30.12.1919, p. 16106 lists him under "relinquish their commns. on completion of service" for 7.11.1919. The M.C. is listed here: Supplement to The London Gazette, 22.08.1918, p. 9800, while in South African Field Post and Telegraph Corp.

I haven't found a source for the DCM, though.

I was just looking for this first names while compiling a philatelic article.

The October, 1917 and February, 1919 Army Lists show him under the RE South African Signal Service, however he is not noted as being either a DCM or an MC winner.

Usually awards are noted against an officers entry such as: VC. DSO, MC, DCM or MM.

Hi zobbel,

Welcome to the forum.

This is the only MC index card under the name of Fosbraey that I found.

post-113776-0-40093800-1443130904_thumb.

Given the date of the award, it might be a general New Years Honours Award, and therefore no citation for a specific action/event, but it might be worth doing a check from the free to download record sets "WO 389/" from the National Archives. It might also be worth checking the "WO 391/" series to check if you can find a record of a DCM.

Regards

Chris

Wow, gents what a step forward, thank you so much, so much more to look into! I wonder if the DCM could be from the Boer War? Lots to look into, but one initial query, if I get it right the RE South African Signal Service were in France and Flanders after 1916(?), and OETA(S) is Jerusalem (?). His future son in law was in Jerusalem at the same time too.

Appreciate anything else you may come up with as I dig further too.

Many thanks and all the best

Jim

The following is an extract from Honour the Officers WW1 by Michael MATON page 290:

South African Force FOSBRAEY David Captain MC. SA Field Post & Tel Cps, SWA* LG. 22.8.1918 page 9800

* SWA = Services in German South West Africa

Philip (OMRS 943)

• spof changed the title to RWK to RGA to RE Captain A.D. Fosbraey