Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photos of Basra War Memorial & Basra War Cemetery

brimacombe

I have only just Spotted this thread.

I agree what a sorry sight, It looked a nice Monument / Building in it day

My g grandad brother Sidney Benedict Aldworth was part of 5th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery. who lost his life in Iraq and it such a shame to see his and the other men Memorial in this condition

I am also interested on any information regarding Sidney Benedict Aldworth or any of his 7 brothers who served in the Great war they all returned home after the war.

• 11 years later...
On 16/04/2009 at 18:40, Guest manxflyer said:

Peter

Hi. I am new to the forum and don't seem to be able to PM anyone at the moment??

My great-grandfather was killed in Mesopotamia in 1920 at the Battle of Hillah and is on the Basra memorial.

I wondered if you might have pictures of Panels 31 and/or 64 please. Panel 31 is on the left hand side

behinf the main obelisk and panel 64 is on the right hand wall as you face the memorial.

His name is Pte George Naylor, 2nd Bn Manchester Regiment. Died 24/7/1920. Service No: 3513843.

Many thanks.

Karl

(manxflyer)

manxflyer@tiscali.co.uk

On 16/04/2009 at 18:40, Guest manxflyer said:

Peter

Hi. I am new to the forum and don't seem to be able to PM anyone at the moment??

My great-grandfather was killed in Mesopotamia in 1920 at the Battle of Hillah and is on the Basra memorial.

I wondered if you might have pictures of Panels 31 and/or 64 please. Panel 31 is on the left hand side

behinf the main obelisk and panel 64 is on the right hand wall as you face the memorial.

His name is Pte George Naylor, 2nd Bn Manchester Regiment. Died 24/7/1920. Service No: 3513843.

Many thanks.

Karl

(manxflyer)

manxflyer@tiscali.co.uk

Hello! My Great Uncle died at Hillah on July 1920 also! He was with the Manchester Regiment also. 
Private Timothy Smith panel 31 & 64 he was only 18 years old and from Wigan Lancs. 
I know he is on the Memorial but love to actually see a photo of inscription especially for my dad who is 97yrs..I have been in touch with The Royal British Legion and this coming spring they are to remember him and inscribe his name on The Wigan War Memorial.. He was such a young lad with no experience and no one knew what happened to him.. It’s taken 100 yrs but aleast he will be always remembered now.. 

Jackie

• Admin

I think @bobpike might have photos of the panels?