Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photos of Basra War Memorial & Basra War Cemetery

brimacombe

As I'm sure most of us are aware, the Basra War Memorial and Cemetery have been almost destroyed over the past years and little remains of this once pristine burial ground.

A number of the men I am researching at present were members of 1/6th Devons and lost their lifes whilst fighting through Mesopotamia etc.

Whereas i have been gathering photographs of the graves of many of the men who are recorded on Holsworthy's War Memorial this is, for obvious reasons, not possible for those buried in Basra.

The next best thing would be some good photographs of the cemetery etc prior to its destruction - which is where i hope someone might be able to help..

I'd be eternally grateful if anyone could help me by forwarding some pictures of Basra Cemetery.

My email is

Fingers crossed!

It is interesting to see the solution which CWGC has come to on its website over the current inaccessibility of the Basra Memorials but presumably the Commission holds photos of the memorials at an earlier date. Would it be worth getting in touch with CWGC?

With best wishes,

David

Thanks David

Yes you're right, the memorial books are at least a temporary measure, apparantly there are plans to erect a new memorial (not sure where, I can't recall where I read the article).

I will contact the CWGC to see what they have to say, though, I'm sure the reply might include a statement like 'the cost of reproducing these images will be...' but, you're right, it's certainly worth a go!

Kindest regards

Shawn

PS: Having trawled through the net I was surprised to find very few pictures or articles relating to Basra..

Hi Shawn

I contacted the CWGC with a similar question regarding archive photographs of the memorial in June last year.

I think they may have misunderstood my enquiry, as the response I got was:

"I am afraid that it is not possible to supply a picture of the Basra Memorial at this time. Regrettably, the political climate is such that we are unable to take photographs in Iraq."

I'm afraid I never got back to them again, so to this day don't know if any older photos survive. If you choose to try yourself and meet with more success than I did, I would be very interested in the results if you don't mind sharing them.

Thanks and good luck

Paul

There were a few recentish photos I found on the net when looking a while back. My Great Uncle is commemorated on the memorial but I've never seen a picture of it up close.

I have a number of pictures of the two parts of this cemetry taken in 2003. Someone asked about copies on here before which I offered but never came back with their email address.

If you want scans pm me your email address and when I am next home I will send copies .

At the time I contacted the CWGC and after some issues getting past the minions who said it was all in hand and they would soon have theri own chaps visitingI spoke to a senior chap. At that time they had clear plans to restore all four cemetries in Iraq as soon as conditions allowed. I guess that is still the case.

Apparently this was actually in hand and agrred with Saddam but for obvious reasons events got in the way.

Peter

If you put Basra in the search topic of Documents, photos etc you will find a couple of the Memorial posted by Marco on 22 12 2006. Ralph.

Remember the Basrah War memorial was moved in 1991 I think and is still very much intact. The cemetry on the other hand is very close to the centre of town and near the river. It was used as a mortar base plate area for attacks on the Shatt Ala Arab hotel and Basrah Palace aand became a decidedly dodgy area.

Peter

Shawn,

Sorry no Pictures of the panels you want.

post-13002-1224056752.jpg

December 2005

If anyone comes across a photo of this man's grave I would be grateful for a copy

Name: DWYER

Initials: M L

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Army Pay Corps

Date of Death: 24/11/1920

Service No: 5037

Additional information: Son of Patrick and Mary Dwyer, of 14E, Byton Rd., Tooting, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. K. 22.

Cemetery: BASRA WAR CEMETERY

\Spoons

Hi Peter,

Email is on the way.

Cheers

Geoff

• 6 months later...
Guest manxflyer

Peter

Hi. I am new to the forum and don't seem to be able to PM anyone at the moment??

My great-grandfather was killed in Mesopotamia in 1920 at the Battle of Hillah and is on the Basra memorial.

I wondered if you might have pictures of Panels 31 and/or 64 please. Panel 31 is on the left hand side

behinf the main obelisk and panel 64 is on the right hand wall as you face the memorial.

His name is Pte George Naylor, 2nd Bn Manchester Regiment. Died 24/7/1920. Service No: 3513843.

Many thanks.

Karl

(manxflyer)

manxflyer@tiscali.co.uk

• 1 year later...

I am anxious to obtain a photo - no matter how old - of the grave of Private Thomas George Pashby who died of disease on the 11th September 1915 and is buried in Basra. Any help greatlyu appreciated.

Thank You

Ken

• 2 months later...

Hi My great Uncle was killed in Iraq in april 1916

he is buried in Basra Memorial Cemetary panel Number 12 if anyone has any photographs or details

Regards

Mike

And a final one. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the Gent who sent the photo's to me to give him the credit he is due. Sad to see the memorial is in such a sorry state. I do have some pictures of various panels, mainly the Lancashire Regiment's but unfortunately not for any of the requests here.

post-35481-047071900 1283808322.jpg

Thanks for posting the images Jonathan,

From a distance the memorial doesn't appear to be in too bad shape - but close-up it's clearly a different story.

An RGA man I've been researching who was formerly in 5 Siege Battery RGA during WWI is on the memorial (he died serving with 5 [Medium] Battery in 1920). In one of your photos it looks like the Royal Garrison Artillery(?) panel is in especially poor condition.

All the best

Steve

Yes, just checked CWGC - the smashed panel in post #17 is that for the RGA (Panel 4 and / or 61); I can just make out the inscription for Gunner Albert Oddy. Clearly there's no good in me ever hoping to get a photo of Bdr Sidney Aldworth's inscription!

Such a shame the memorial's in this state.

All the best

Steve

• 4 months later...

A long shot as the last post was a while ago now, but I would be grateful for any photos which include details of Private William Henry Earl 1/4 Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry died 26 May 1916. According to CGWC he's on panels 20 and/or 63 of the Basra Memorial

Regards

Chris

I had heard from a reliable source that when Saddam had the memorial moved to its present desert location he omited to instruct the Clerk of Works to excavate for suitable foundations, which does not bode well for it remaining as a solid structure,

what a sorry sight to see this great monument in such disrepair