Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

128 Oxford Heavy Battery

ALANJONES

I am researching Maj Octavius Edward Fane RGA who served first with 123rd Heavy Battery in F&F from Mar 15 to Apr 16 and was then posted to command 128 Heavy Battery. Dick Flory has already kindly given me the following details:

My information indicates that he died of wounds on 19 September 1918 while commanding 128 Heavy Battery, RGA. 128 Heavy Battery went out to France in March 1916 and joined 9th Heavy Artillery Group (HAG) on 31 Mar 16. It transferred to 10 HAG on 3 Apr 16; to 11 HAG on 13 Apr 16; to 12 HAG on 5 Jun 16; back to 10 HAG on 6 Jun 16; returned to 12 HAG on 21 Sep 16; to 60 HAG on 4 Oct 16; and to 9 HAG on 24 May 17. It was posted to Second Army Artillery School on 1 Dec 17. On 14 Jan 18 it joined 9 Brigade, RGA and remained with it until the end of the war.

I am off to visit Woolwich soon to look at their records of diaries etc but would be grateful if anyone has other information on the Battery in the meantime (or indeed about Maj Fane).

Many thanks

Alan

Hi Alan,

I believe there was possibly a court of enquiry for 123 HB ( 4 x 4.7” QF) concerning the second battle of Ypres in April 1915, an episode which resulted in some 120 battery casualties. Your then Captain O E Fane, distinguished himself during this period by completing a rear guard action when the Major was wounded, despite being slightly wounded himself and remaining at duty. 37 out of the 40 men at the guns were either killed or wounded, 1 gun was destroyed and another put out of action. Replacement gunners were without ammunition or enough rifles and actually issued with hammers and crowbars in anticipation of hand to hand fighting. So a story well worth perusing Alan that you might not have known about.

Rgds Paul

Dear Paul

Many thanks for your reply. I am particularly fascinated to learn that there was a 'court of enquiry' - I have the Brigade (11th) War Diary and it makes no mention of such a hearing for this reason (I think there mentions of a number of courts being held at the time but not the details - I always assumed they were disciplinary).

The episode was certainly significant - my primary interest stemmed from my research into the history of 122nd Heavy Battery - which was drawn up alongside 123rd at the climax of the battle (for the two batteries that is) on the 8th May. 122nd suffered slightly fewer casualties on the 8th. But the 123rd were hit badly in a series of other bombardments.

The BC was Henry Rowan Robinson who speaks extremely highly of Octavius Fane. HRR nearly lost an arm when he was wounded at the same time as a 5.9 shell exploded above one of the detachments, killing or wounding 9 out of the detachment of 10.

The incident of issuing hammers and crowbars is described as occurring on the night of the 22nd April when there was a report of an enemy breakthrough including Uhlans - the 123rd at the time were just to the East of Potijze. the 122nd forward just behind Zonnebeke.

I am hoping to see Octavius's diary in about a month and hopefully this will add more. I would be very interested to know where the record of the court of enquiry might be.

thanks again

Alan

I am interested in the fact that you have put the 128th as `Oxford' Heavy Battery. I always thought the 132nd RGA was known as the Oxfordshire Heavy battery. One of our villagers father served in it and his pictures are titled such.

Mark

Hello Mark

Well, I am sure that the title of the 128th is correct - but I will have a look as to what goes with the 132nd and see if there is a another connection with Oxford. I constantly learn!!!

Which village!?

Alan

Mark,

Without going into the history of it all there are numerous examples of where the excess number of recruits warranted raising a second or even third Battery, and occurred at county and larger town/ city level. The original purpose of the second units was to provide a ready source of trained replacements for the first line unit. Both 128 HB and 132 HB are Oxfordshire Batteries, 135 HB and 156 HB are also Oxford.

Other examples are 125 HB, 133 HB and 136 HB, all Co Palatine, or 145 HB and 155 HB both East Cheshire. 1/1 HB, 2/1 HB and 1/2 HB were all Lancashire; and many others.

Rgds Paul

post-9366-1223972571.jpg

post-9366-1225458125.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Blow me down Paul. Thanks for the information. The village is Blewbury which was Berkshire but moved Alan.

Mark

Paul, Mark

I have since found out that he was wounded during intense German SOS artillery fire when controlling his battery firing in support of 4th Aus Div's attack towards the Hindenberg Line, and died on the 18th (not 19th) Sep 18 when on the way to the dressing station near Hancourt.

There is a Nominal Roll of Officers, NCO's & Men who served in the (Oxfordshire) Heavy Batterys Royal Garrison Artillery at the Oxfordshire Studies Library, with a short history of their doings. It can only be copied digitally (£7.50) a page unfortunately but at some stage I hope to visit to have a look.

best wishes

Alan

Alan and others:

I referred your interesting post to my colleagues in the Oxfordshire Yeomanry Trust. They and many others including representatives of the Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry and Oxfordshire County Council are actively involved in SOFO - Soldiers of Oxfordshire. There is an intention to create a SOFO museum as part of the County Museum at Woodstock, and we are already amalgamating all the appropriate archive materials and collections. The Oxford Heavy Batteries will be included in the scope of SOFO.

I hope therefore that you, Alan, and anyone else with information on these batteries will be able to make contact when the time is appropriate, so that they can be included eventually in the project. It is very early days yet, but it will happen.

Major Fane is of particular interest because he is the brother of one of the Oxfordshire Yeomanry (i.e. Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars) heroes - Captain Horatio Fane, who died of wounds received during the battle of Amiens on 11 August 1918. The regimental history ( and our archives, I would think) has quite a lot of info on him, which I can provide if it is of interest. We know of a nephew who lives not far from Oxford.

P.S. to my earlier post.

Putting 128 Battery into 'Search' turns up a 2006 thread about 128 Siege Battery.

How is this different from 128 Heavy Battery?

It is a common problem - the same number in the artillery often (but not always) relates to Siege, Heavy and Field Batteries. The first two of these are RGA the last RFA. No link between them and the terms refer to the 'size' of the guns found in each type of battery (60 pounders in the case of 128 Oxford Heavy). A Heavy Brigade or Heavy Artillery Group (denoting a command element for grouping together differing numbers of batteries - which themselves would often move between Brigade and HAGs) would include mixes of Siege and/or Heavy (clear eh!!!)

It causes confusion. In fact O E Fane is shown on the CWGC as commanding 128 Siege Battery - incorrect as it is definitely 128 Heavy (I am going to let them know with the necessary evidence).

I think it is a different relative to the one you mention but I am going to RV with one who has both Octavius and Horatio's diaries for me to look at - and I will keep in touch to exchange information.

thanks

Alan

ps

128 siege battery had railway guns!

Alan

Alan:

Many thanks for that clarification.

The relative we know of is John Fane, living at Christmas Common, and the nephew of Horatio.

I am particularly interested in the diaries you mention as they, or copies or transcripts thereof, would be a very important addition to the museum collection.

Please will you keep me posted on them? Even to know of their existence is of great interest.

Peter

I don't know much about the content of the diaries and I will explore the subject with the holder - I suspect they will probably wish to hold on to them at this stage but I can ask. Transcripts may be feasible.

The family will certainly be interested to know of the history you have on Horatio.

best wishes

Alan

And more...........

Alan

2 surviving brothers - details form the Marlborough College Register (1933 Edn):

Arthur George Cecil Fane

son of H.G.Fane of Bicester

born 29.12.1880

Marlborough College Jan.1895 - Easter 1897

Royal.Inst.Engineers College 1897

Public Works Dept. India 1902

Great War: Indian Army

Maj.1917

MC 1917

Despatches

Address (1933) - The Old Rectory, Kidlington, Oxon.

Francis John Fane

Son of Capt.H.G.Fane of Bicester

born 13.4.1885

Marlborough College Jan.1899 - Easter 1902

Rubber Planter (F.M.S)

Retired

Son Peter Francis George Fane born 15.12.1917 (Marlborough 1931 - Prefect 1933)

Address(1933) - Morland House, Wheatley, Oxford.

Dave and Roop

Many thanks for the info on other Oxford batteries and also on Octavius' brothers

More anon!

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

I have now met with the relative and there was a misunderstanding and only seems to be a diary for O E Fane, which is very interesting.

However, I would be very interested to learn more of Horatio. According to the maps in the Official History a Sqn of the Oxfordshire Yeomanry was located near Condron at the extreme right of the British line on 21 Mar 1918 - by coincidence 128 HB were located there too. It would be interesting to know if Horatio was in this Sqn!

I will endeavour to see if there is any other information on Horatio which might be of interest to your Trust

best wishes

Alan

Alan:

The only detail I can give you for the moment about the 21st March 1918 is to quote from the regimental history:

"At 6.30pm on the 19th [March 1918] the Oxfords relieved the Carabiniers at Hetty Post, and remained there until 6.30pm on the 21st, when they were relieved by 3rd Hussars. They had no adventures there ..."

I've not been able to locate Hetty Post, I know only that it was somewhere near Cote Wood and East of Roisel. I presume Horatio Fane was there since it does not say that only one squadron OY was present.

As regards Fane, there is a lot in the history about him. If you can give me some idea of the kind of information you are most interested in I will endeavour to copy or transcribe some.

Reference the various members of the Fane family who distinguished themselves, I have just come across, while reading the short history of the 16th Lancers by Charrington, mention of Major (later Lt. Colonel) C. Fane CMG DSO who was severely wounded in May 1915 near Verlorenhoek.

I suppose he was related to all the other Fanes who have been mentioned in these posts?

Dear Peter,

Lt Col C Fane was not a brother to Octavius or Horatio - he may well have been a cousin, but no evidence of that at present. A brother Arthur George was awarded MC and MID and another, Robert Gerald, was a Commander RN KIA 1917. Another brother Francis John also probably served. Still to research these last three!

It would be interesting to know the circumstances of Horatio's death and any particular significant references to any personal actions of his.

Many thanks

Alan

Alan: Death of Horatio Fane, from the regimental history:

On 10th August 1918 the Regiment (QOOH) was in the region of Maucourt: 'C' Sqdn was at the cross-roads south of the village, while the two other sqdns and HQ were further west near Vrely. (midway between Rosieres-en-Santerre and Warvillers.) Here they came under heavy shell-fire. Captain Fane was very badly wounded. captain Fane died the next day in hospital on Aug 11th and was buried at Mezieres, near Amiens.

Fane had been wounded before, on 23rd March 1918 when the Regt was near Faillouel. He was evacuated to England, rejoining the Regt on 30th June.

Thanks for the link to the oxford mail.

Peter

Very many thanks

Alan

Hi,

I have found reference to Major Fane being awarded the French Medaille de la Reconnaissance 1st Class while serving with the 9th Bde RGA. The French paper work have him down as Major C. E Fane, DSO, MC, I've looked through all lists and the C must be a mistake and I'm certain there refering too Octavius Edward Fane. Hope this helps

Kerry Bulow

Australia