Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Battalion Cheshire Regiment

MBrockway

13 minutes ago, Stephen Benson said:

Is it ‘D’ company Mike? I bought a framed orginal a couple of years ago. I have researched all but two of the forty on it. If it’s another company I would really interested to see it.

Hello Stephen,

No, as stated in the post, it’s a group photo featuring all the officers and almost certainly one of a number of battalion photo groupings taken on the eve of their departure for France. 
All the 29 officers are named to the mount including the RMO (Lt Bishop RAMC). 
If you PM me with your e-mail address I’ll send you the image. 

43 minutes ago, Stephen Benson said:

Is it ‘D’ company Mike? I bought a framed orginal a couple of years ago. I have researched all but two of the forty on it. If it’s another company I would really interested to see it.

Images of officer group photo now sent to your e-mail 

Mike 

4 hours ago, mrfrank said:

Hello,

I have an original named group photograph of the Officers of the 10th (Service) Battalion, Cheshire Regiment. This was produced by the photographic studio of F Scovell and was taken at Ramillies Barracks, Aldershot in 1915 (probably on the same day as the Company image posted in this thread earlier). 
If anyone would like a copy then PM me and I’ll oblige. 

Mike 

Would love a copy or a gander 

4 hours ago, mrfrank said:

Hello,

I have an original named group photograph of the Officers of the 10th (Service) Battalion, Cheshire Regiment. This was produced by the photographic studio of F Scovell and was taken at Ramillies Barracks, Aldershot in 1915 (probably on the same day as the Company image posted in this thread earlier). 
If anyone would like a copy then PM me and I’ll oblige. 

Mike 

Any John holt on there any chance h can email me image 

58 minutes ago, James holt said:

Replied to you….advise you to also remove your e-mail address from the open forum. 

Mike 

Edited by mrfrank

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2008 at 02:21, Jacksg said:

I've read that the 10th battalion was regarded as having a "bad disciplinary record". Can anyone supply more detail on that?

Many thanks!

Jacksg

I have found this thread due to my interest in finding out more about Ernest Hamilton, Private 15273 of the 10th Battn. He enlisted at Sale, Cheshire on the 9th September 1914. I have had a look at his service record and one thing that stood out was his very long poor disciplinary record.  Corroborates Jacksg message.

On the 20th May his record shows he was wounded (G.S.W) 30 CCS (not sure what that is?)  He was killed in action on the 10th October 1916. Does anyone know where the 10th were on that date.

He is Commemorated at THIEPVAL MEMORIAL, France. Pier and Face 3 C and 4 A.
His name is also on the Sale War Memorial.

14 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Welcome to the forum

GSW is Gun Shot Wound but often includes shrapnel wounds. CCS is Casualty Clearing Station.

War Diary can be downloaded free from TNA once registered - also free - 10 Battalion Cheshire Regiment | The National Archives

Thanks for your prompt reply, I will have a look at the TNA. I think Stuff Redoubt is going to be the place. 

3 hours ago, Ian Barker said:

I have found this thread due to my interest in finding out more about Ernest Hamilton, Private 15273 of the 10th Battn. He enlisted at Sale, Cheshire on the 9th September 1914. I have had a look at his service record and one thing that stood out was his very long poor disciplinary record.  Corroborates Jacksg message.

On the 20th May his record shows he was wounded (G.S.W) 30 CCS (not sure what that is?)  He was killed in action on the 10th October 1916. Does anyone know where the 10th were on that date.

He is Commemorated at THIEPVAL MEMORIAL, France. Pier and Face 3 C and 4 A.
His name is also on the Sale War Memorial.

It was Stuff Redoubt, during lockdown I created a video which is on YouTube about the fighting there involving the 10th. Cheshires he is also on my website Cheshire Roll of Honour, I will look in his file tomorrow and see what I have on him.

This is the YouTube link 

Stephen, thanks for the link to the video very informative. 

Will your book be including a reference to Church Street, Altrincham?