Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Essex drill halls - seeking information, please

Dragon

I've been working on Essex to prepare it for uploading on our Drill Halls site and disappointingly, neither Graeme nor I have any pictures at all of Essex drill halls.

We know that a significant number of them have been demolished. We have information that suggests that the occasional hall may remain and one of those may be Southend-on-Sea, at East Street, Prittlewell, but it was under sentence of demolition. I wondered whether there is anyone who lives nearby who can let us know any updated information, and, if at all possible, take a photo for the project.

I would also like to know whether there is still a drill hall in Ongar; I've seen archive photos of it but nothing to tell us whether it's extant or not.

Finally, there was a drill hall in Saffron Walden, but Kelly's Directory, 1914, doesn't state the address. Does anyone local know where it was / is? I was in the town briefly a couple of weeks ago, but didn't have time to investigate it properly. I would be grateful for any specific information because I think I may have the chance to go back at the end of the month, and if the drill hall is still there, it would be useful to know where to look.

Any information about extant drill halls or offers of archive images of these lost buildings in Essex would be really appreciated.

Many thanks.

Gwyn

Gwyn,

I'll put a message on the Essex family history mailing list, and see if anyone there can help. I know that there are several people on it connected with the local history recording recorders. I'll also PM you a useful email address.

Adrian

Thank you both very much and for the PM, Adrian. Twiglet, I'll let you know the information we have. I can't access it instantly, though.

Gwyn,

The old drill hall in East Street is still there opposite the TA centre. I can take a picture for you as I live in Prittlewell, although I must admit to being unaware of its use during WW1, the main one was just off the High Street which was demolished and is now the site of a covered market.

Andy

Thank you both very much and for the PM, Adrian. Twiglet, I'll let you know the information I have. I can't access it instantly, though.

No worries, PM me when it's convenient. Can't promise anything, but no harm in asking for you.

Andy, that would be brilliant, thank you!

Kelly's Directory, 1914, says: ‘Essex Yeomanry (D Squadron); head quarters, Drill hall, East street, Prittlewell’ and ‘In East street is the Drill Hall for the D Squadron, Essex Yeomanry, and the H Company 6th Battalion Essex Regiment and the head quarters of C Section of the 3rd East Anglian Field Ambulance Royal Army Medical Corps Territorial Force.’

Kelly also mentions York Road: ‘Essex & Suffolk Royal Garrison Artillery, No 3 Company, Drill hall, York road.’

I'll send a bit more information by PM.

Cheers

Gwyn

Hi Gwyn,

Consider it done, it was sold off some time ago to a private company. Not sure what has happened to the company now as it does not trade out of this building anymore. There is a rifle range behind the building and it used to be used as an Army Recruitment Centre for years, and an Army Careers Office.

The TA Centre more or less directly the opposite side of the road is of a similar age and is/was of a more appropriate size for a Drill Hall. I will see if the TA are this weekend and see if they can advise but will take pictures of both for you so that you can see what I am on about.

The York Road drill hall was quite a large building, and, as you rightly say, home to the Essex & Suffolk Royal Garrison Artillery, No. 3 Company. I believe that I have a period picture of it somewhere which I will see if I can dig out for you. Today it is a covered market just off Southends High Street, but I know from local newspapers it was quite a large recruiting centre during the war being just off the High Street and about 1/2 mile from the Seafront, if that.

Andy

You're a star, Andy. Thank you!

Gwyn

Gwyn,

Re your PM and the drill hall on Southchurch Road, this area has seen quite a lot of demolition and rebuilding in recent years but all of this area is in roughly a triangle so if the weather is decent a walk could be in order to look at them all for you. There was also a WW1 hospital there called The Glen which is no longer in existence.

The mention of backing onto Tickfield Road for the Prittlewell Drill Hall would mean that it is indeed the old Army recruitment centre with the rifle range behind it but I will still get the TA centre for you as the old Army recruitment centre is not a particularly large building to house the units you mention.

Andy

There's a picture of Chipping Ongar here. (Please put 'drill hall' into the search box; it won't allow a direct link.) I think I can make a guess at its location by comparing the visible buildings with old maps, but I can't get any further. I don't want to suggest an incorrect address. If or when I get any more information I'll supply it.

Sorry to be so useless but I don't know the town or the area at all and I'm too tired to keep looking now.

Gwyn

Gwyn,

This is the drill hall on East Street, corner of Tickfield Avenue.

post-1871-1220707524.jpg

if you send me your e-mail address I will sned you all the full size pictures.

post-1871-1220707734.jpg

Taken from a little way down Tickfield Avenue showing the Rifle Range.

post-1871-1220708204.jpg

This taken from the other side of the railway line. The Hall itself is right next to Prittlewell railway station on the Southend Victoria to London Liverpool Street Line.

post-1871-1220708605.jpg

Gwyn,

This is the TA Centre I mentioned earlier with quite a few buildings to the rear of it, a drill hall among them. Just over the railway bridge from the one shown, larger and similar time period building.

TA

post-1871-1220709153.jpg

post-1871-1220709257.jpg

Re. the old drill hall that has become a Hindu Community Centre between Warrior Square and Southchurch Road. This is tucked away in the only area that it could have been in. Larger around the back but a very small front.

post-1871-1220710009.jpg

Also the only Indian related building in the area and definetely a community centre of some sorts

post-1871-1220710412.jpg

Gwyn,

This is the area of the old drill hall in York Road, quite a substantial building in its time as it covered the whole area of the present day market

post-1871-1220712560.jpg

Thank you, Andy, for the excellent photos.

I'm sorry, I haven't any more address information on the other locations I sought. I feel I shouldn't have asked without specific details. I'm very grateful to Adrian for going to the trouble of doing some looking up for me.

Gwyn

Is the rifle range still in operation? I wonder if it is the same one we used as Army Cadets in the 70's?

Mick

Gwyn,

You are more than welcome, anything else you need from Southend do not hesitate to ask as I certainly learnt something concerning the Drill Hall in Warrior Square.

Mick, I do not think the rifle range is now in use although I cannot be sure about that, but it was certainly in use until the company brought the property.

Andy

Andy

Mick, I understand that that drill hall and associated buildings is now up for sale (again) as a site for redevelopment. Seems a shame to me, as it looks rather a fine building.

Gwyn