Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Executed and "in the cold"

John_Hartley

I am now even more gob-smacked.

Michael's photos confirm over 1000 men buried "somewhere near" a CWGC cemetery but, presumably, there is no record of who they were - otherwise they'd be commemorated by the Commission.

John

John

You are right in that their names were not recorded but they are commemorated by CWGC - as best they can.

They are commemorated by the Giza Memorial, Egypt - one of the very few CWGC memorials which bears no names and (uniquely) takes the form of a building rather than a traditional memorial. Details are on their website.

Thanks again for your comments, Ivor

I now realise that in my previous post I have neglected to give as a reference, the work of Matthew Hughes (editor) of 'Allenby in Palestine - the middle east correspondence of Field Marshal Viscount Allenby' published in 2004 by Sutton for the Army Records Society

Finally, lest it be thought that all ELC casualties were the result of either military justice or disease, let me quote from 'Diary of a Yeomanry M.O.' by Capt. O. Teichman, DSO, MC. Like their compatriots at in France, those serving with the EEF were not immune from the attentions of enemy aerial bombers

"January 7th (1917)

After a Brigade Church Service new maps were issued to us of the Turkish positions. At 11.30 two 'aviatiks' paid their usual visit and killed twenty-nine and wounded thirty natives working at railhead. Our own men always received orders to spread themselves out and lie down when being bombed; by doing so we had remarkably few casualties. The Egyptian Labour Corps, however, when thoroughly frightened always collected into large groups, which were a very easy target for Fritz when he was flying low."

My best wishes to all those working in any way to help establish the correct historical record here and respect for those who served